MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MY19 Cush Drive Fitment on MY16

Here are some photos showing what the MY19 Cush Drive looks like and how they have upgraded the assembly.

My plan is to try and retrofit this onto a MY16 Turismo Veloce. Will be taking some measurements tomorrow to determine if the stack is identical to the MY16 and if the sprocket will maintain identical alignment.

If anyone has already retrofitted this assembly please share your insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here are some photos showing what the MY19 Cush Drive looks like and how they have upgraded the assembly.

My plan is to try and retrofit this onto a MY16 Turismo Veloce. Will be taking some measurements tomorrow to determine if the stack is identical to the MY16 and if the sprocket will maintain identical alignment.

If anyone has already retrofitted this assembly please share the your insight.
Amazing what a company will do when you threaten them with lawyers.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,969 Posts
Wow !!! It looks exactly like the cush drive in use since 1999 !!!!!

I will wager it bolts right up.

Reactions: jdgun

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yet they’re still using the top hat spacer which was the cause of everything in the first!
Not sure if you are suggesting that the MY19 will most likely fail due to the top hat spacer similarity of those that have failed in the past??

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Yet they’re still using the top hat spacer which was the cause of everything in the first!
Just a correction to the statement: Various checks by individuals on the forum have validated that this is not the cause...

MV have reverted to the original Cush-Drive design (750->1078). The new design was introduced in the (920->1090) models (cush-drive rubber part# 8000B2151)

Pending on your vernacular, the top-hat/collar/spacer (part# 8000B2150), wasn't the cause of the issues, it was the wear on the cush-drive rubbers. They were not handling the relevant lateral/rotational forces and eventually, the lateral pressure caused uneven pressure and subsequent wear on the Spacer. (there's quite a few videos/posts from individuals asking of the amount of lateral movement was normal)

The Spacer ended up be blamed, but was not the root cause.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not sure if it matters but the top hat spacers may look similar but have different part numbers for specific model years. Top hat spacer Part number 8000C3430 is MY19.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,630 Posts
Yes,those cushdrive bushes look the same as the pre 2010 bikes that never fail.
Why manufacturers change something that does not fail into something that does is beyond me.
If it aint broke don't fix it.:frown2:
If I owned a late model MV.The first part I would change is the sprocket carrier.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just a correction to the statement: Various checks by individuals on the forum have validated that this is not the cause...

MV have reverted to the original Cush-Drive design (750->1078). The new design was introduced in the (920->1090) models (cush-drive rubber part# 8000B2151)

Pending on your vernacular, the top-hat/collar/spacer (part# 8000B2150), wasn't the cause of the issues, it was the wear on the cush-drive rubbers. They were not handling the relevant lateral/rotational forces and eventually, the lateral pressure caused uneven pressure and subsequent wear on the Spacer. (there's quite a few videos/posts from individuals asking of the amount of lateral movement was normal)

The Spacer ended up be blamed, but was not the root cause.
I stand corrected. It was indeed the Cush drive rubbers that caused the movement. I believe I was one of the first to experience this issue.

I switched it up to a mitchy hub and AEM everything else. Looks amazing and no issue for at least 15k.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today I addressed any fitment issues by measuring the stack dimension of the MY19 cush drive assembly including the top hat spacer in position while off the axle in comparison to the MY16 assembly. I also laid each assembly (MY16 and MY19) including the top hat spacers in place on the counter off the axle to determine if the sprocket alignment would be impacted.

As mentioned in this thread earlier, both cush drive assemblies do have identical mounting dimensions and rear sprocket alignment.

Here are a few more photos that might provide more detail to the MY19 cush drive system. (apologies for the distorted cell phone photos)

1st photo shows the MY19 top hat spacer in place on the axle

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Since everything matched for stack dimension and sprocket alignment, I mounted the MY19 assembly on my moto.

I've yet to test drive but wanted to share some photos. There is absolutely no slop and based on the MY19 sprocket carrier design there is much more clearance from the hub in comparison to the MY16 clearance.

Axle nut torqued to 200 nm is in similar position on the axle as to when the MY16 cush drive was on the axle.

For reference my moto just turned over 14,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Test ride results - 75 miles

The MY19 cush drive is far superior to the previous version without any doubt.

It is smoother than the MY16 worn out cush drive and produces less noise (intermittent howling as one described in another thread) at lower rpms with high torque applications during acceleration or when cruising high gear at low speeds/rpms.

After servicing my rear hub a few weeks ago, I installed new cush drive dampeners in my MY16 cush drive assembly. I got 250 miles of use and at that point three of the rubber dampeners were split on the back side from making light contact with the hub. That was the final straw for me.

Photo of the back side of the MY16 cush drive after 250 miles of use.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
After servicing my rear hub a few weeks ago, I installed new cush drive dampeners in my MY16 cush drive assembly. I got 250 miles of use and at that point three of the rubber dampeners were split on the back side from making light contact with the hub. That was the final straw for me.

Photo of the back side of the MY16 cush drive after 250 miles of use.
Interesting observation.
My '16 Turismo has 4600 miles.
I recently pulled the drive hub to swap new dampers.
The dampers with 4600 miles looked like the new ones; so I left the original dampers in place.

I plan on installing either the AEM drive unit or backdated OEM setup at some point in the future.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,969 Posts
Got all the parts minus cush-drive rubbers from the link below.

Edit : wtf I can’t link urls? Lame!!!!

https://www.*****************/

It’s Bellissimoto
Just copy and paste it into your text..... But I think the forum blocks some web sites (not sure about this, prove me wrong or right).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I swapped my most recent 2012 F4 to the backdated setup with poly cush pads. Feels better and gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Interesting observation.
My '16 Turismo has 4600 miles.
I recently pulled the drive hub to swap new dampers.
The dampers with 4600 miles looked like the new ones; so I left the original dampers in place.

I plan on installing either the AEM drive unit or backdated OEM setup at some point in the future.
I decided to install the MY19 MV OEM product since replacement rubber dampeners can be purchased if required for the cush drive assembly. Something you may want to ascertain whether that matters for your use if going aftermarket.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on the cush drive assembly. I spoke to another owner today with 4000 miles on his and was able to get some very slight slop (side to side) movement in the sprocket carrier.

My bike has 14,000 miles and the first set of three sets of dampeners were replaced at 8500 miles based on service guidelines. They are cheap and if I knew what I know now I'd replace them at half that mileage. I'm not sure what caused the excessive wear on my MY16 TV over others. I know another that has 18,000 miles on his TV and his bike does not exhibit the sprocket side to side slop that mine did.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I decided to install the MY19 MV OEM product since replacement rubber dampeners can be purchased if required for the cush drive assembly. Something you may want to ascertain whether that matters for your use if going aftermarket.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on the cush drive assembly. I spoke to another owner today with 4000 miles on his and was able to get some very slight slop (side to side) movement in the sprocket carrier.

My bike has 14,000 miles and the first set of thee sets of dampeners were replaced at 8500 miles based on service guidelines. They are cheap and if I knew what I know now I'd replace them at half that mileage. I'm not sure what caused the excessive wear on my MY16 TV over others. I know another that has 18,000 miles on his TV and his bike does not exhibit the sprocket side to side slop that mine did.
where did you get the parts and how much did you pay?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts