MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm just after the location of the PCV valve and hose ( not sure if thats what there called on MV's i'm usedto cars) i know it goes into the air box, but is there any where more easy to get at it.

I want yo fit a oil catch can after it decided to vent oil into the airbox again, only this time it blew a massive amount of smoke while riding with a group of guy's then when i started it at the meet point infront of 100+ people after everyone was standing there checking it out, it decided to blow a bloody bush fire out the back.... Was not impressed! The most expensive and exotic bike there looking like a right peace of sh*t from something as simple as oil in the airbox

Has anyone fitted a catch can before to deal with this? Any tipswoukd b great

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm sure you can follow the hose from the airbox downward. Not sure you'll find room to mount a catch can....
On motorcycles you can simply vent the crankcase to air, (point the hose toward the bottom of the motor, out of the sprocket or swingarms way).
OR,
these guys make a one way valve that's supposed to create a vacuum in the crankcase, (in reality it doesn't do this) but it does let gasses escape without the possibility of drawing in any unfiltered air.
http://www.et-performance.com/metric_cycles.html

Personally, I'd just vent to air.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Venting to air is a possible but i'd rather not vent oil some where if possible, its only a tiny amount tho cause u cant see any difference in the sight glass, but would still rather a catch can... Someone put a pick up of one ages ago, under the seat

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
PCV valve?

not sure that '10s and later have them, earlier don't

are you doing a lot of high angle wheelies?

i epoxied screen over the inlet vent of the oil separator on my F4
then put 2 'Chore Boy' pot scrubbers in the separator to trap oil mist

built a external on for my Aprilia RSVR.....it drains back into the transmission vent line

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have put this up before and people said it is a normal problem with the 2010 F4, if you pull wheelies it'll vent oil into the airbox, it was even posted up that u should run them at the lower level of the oil sight glass.

It doesnt seem to lose much oil at all, and i think when it was just serviced they slightly over filled it, but i will call them tomorrow. I also wasnt doing wheelies at all, but i did get a little airborn over a bump at high speed and big rev's..... I thought that caused it, i will probly take the airbox off on the weekend for a good look, because it has done this in the past every time i pulled a wheelie

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Mate, I posted up about the lower oil level, did you ask MV about this ?

As far as a bike pumping out oil if you ride it hard or accidently pulling a wheelie, being normal, I call bullshit, there's something wrong with the bike.
I can understand if it was overfilled, or if the factory turns around and says the pick-up in the gearbox is too low and therefore you should only fill it to half.

I don't remember anybody saying it's normal for the Y10 F4 to pump out that amount of oil.
There's was only one other Y10 bike on this forum which pumped out it's oil at the rate your bike is, and it's lying in pieces in Perth as we speak.

Any body who says it's normal for a bike to pump at the amount of oil you mention is losing it. And I'm not refering to some other brand bike, or some race bike, I mean a bike you buy at a dealer and ride home.

If it where my bike, I'd be sitting at the dealer. Your choice though mate, but this is just all wrong to me.
There's another guy on the forum who just took his Y10 bike racing, have you asked him ?

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54054
or/and
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54276

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mv do sugest to run the oil level lower then the full mark... one thing i should point out is i know something is wrong, bikes shouldn't throw smoke, but this is only a very rare thing, unless pulling wheelies..... i'm about to call the dealer in perth for a good chat, trouble is i'm 6000k's away from the nearest dealer :( but i will try to find out exactly whats going on..... its also only throwing smoke, there seems to be no drop in oil level.... it only takes a tiny bit of oil in the airbox to throw a heap of smoke, and it always clears up on start up after a min or so

i thought it was a problem with where the valve was mounted, being to low so that when u pulled a wheelie or possible at big lean angles it sould suck up some oil.... but i will try to find out from the dealer

cheers for the help

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hahaha, I'm sure you meant 600km's away from Rick Gill's mate.
No worries, just don't want you to think this is normal, even if you op a wheelie or two. Best to get it sorted before the warranty run's out.
Give Pro-Twin in Perth a ring, speak to the owner and ask him what they did to sort the problem on Scotty's bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok some more info... i got on to the MV dealer today and they confirmed its not normal and shouldn't be doing it.

i just had a look then and there are only 2 hoses going into the airbox.... both r breathers, 1 for the tapper cover that looks like it goes through some type of valve first (could just be a manifold for 2 hoses into 1) and there is a crank case breather.... which looks to be the problem. it leads from the right had side down to the top of the crank case with no valve its just a straight hose

so doing wheelies or big lean angles to the right could both cause oil to get up around this hose, fitting a oil catch can which would be fairly simple should fix the issue..... i will wait however till i hear back from the dealer and can get in touch with Pro-twin

·
Registered
938 Posts
ok some more info... i got on to the MV dealer today and they confirmed its not normal and shouldn't be doing it.

i just had a look then and there are only 2 hoses going into the airbox.... both r breathers, 1 for the tapper cover that looks like it goes through some type of valve first (could just be a manifold for 2 hoses into 1) and there is a crank case breather.... which looks to be the problem. it leads from the right had side down to the top of the crank case with no valve its just a straight hose

so doing wheelies or big lean angles to the right could both cause oil to get up around this hose, fitting a oil catch can which would be fairly simple should fix the issue..... i will wait however till i hear back from the dealer and can get in touch with Pro-twin
Thanks for the update! Curious to see how this plays out. I've never heard of wheelies cause oil uptake in to the airbox.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey, this thread is a little older but did yours look like this?
oil is dripping down the frame and engine. not sure when this happened as i just got the bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that doesnt look like its from inside the airbox, that could be an oil leak from on top of the engine.... and it looks fairly old ... not sure what caused that but its definitely a different problem

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2010 F4 and had the same problem after a trackday at Pocono. Ferracci told me that the sustained high revs will let more pressure into the crankcase than normal riding would. He did say that there was a problem with the vent hose and fixed it under warranty. (even though I was out by a little bit)

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I bought mine from a dealer in Minnesota, I live in Texas, I had a similar problem after riding in the hill country the bike would smoke some huge clouds of white smoke and eventually go away. What I found was that the oil had gotten into the airbox and was causing the problem, I noticed that the oil level was high and decided to do an oil change since I didn't really know if the dealer had done it before it was shipped to me. Anyhow after doing my own oil change and making sure it wasn't over filled again I have not had the problem since, its been over a year and a half now and my bike is a dedicated track bike now. just my 2 cents but I believe that was the problem on my bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Donsy, I was searching google for "oil in airbox" and this thread came up. missed to check parent forum category.
turned out my issue is caused by a ruptured oil line.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Right, breather hose I guess. I wasn't given any more details.
bike is back at dealer because of issues after only 50 miles in my possession. They found more problems which were missed before selling it to me and which they are now fixing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts