MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange things happen here:

my sexy lady got bumps in the garage.

I wasn't using the bike for two weeks now ( heavy snow and very cold) but yesterday I took her for a ride out.

And then I saw the dents... ???

what the f..k is this now??

Maybe it was to cold for her...

I send some pic's and a video to my Dealer ...
he will send this to MV and see what happens next...

look at the pic's:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
If you have ethanol in your fuel, it is the reason.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here in Germany we have the "Super" with max 5% ethanol in it ( E5 it calls) and Super with 10% ethanol in it (E10)
I always used the E5, you need a special motor to used E10!!
So that can not be the reason.. I guess !!

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
Ethanol, no matter how much, can be the cause.

·
Registered
90 Posts
seems like ethanol reaction the most likely cause. Plastic tanks are treated apparently to try to prevent but number of guys have had similar issues. I have had 2 tanks bubble up on my F3 ORO. 3rd tank being made by MV as we speak. Unlike previous 2, which were original 2012 production, this one is being internally treated.

Only other thing need to check is the tank breather. Make sure pressure not building in tank.

Good luck. Hopefully MV will sort you out with a new tank.

Dave

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
ouch...lets hope MV will solve this problem for you.

I haven't droven my bike in weeks, and wanted to fire up the bike once to run the oil through the system and noticed that my tank was singing.
So I opened the gastank and pressure escaped. Maybe its smart to release pressure every now and then? *could it be the ethanol?

·
Registered
456 Posts
ouch...lets hope MV will solve this problem for you.

I haven't droven my bike in weeks, and wanted to fire up the bike once to run the oil through the system and noticed that my tank was singing.
So I opened the gastank and pressure escaped. Maybe its smart to release pressure every now and then? *could it be the ethanol?
What you are hearing is the two-way valve releasing vapor into the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is the tank soft on the areas that expanded?

I'd speculate that ethanol is the culprit that molested your sexy lady.

Hope MV has a satisfactory remedy ..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't think it is a temp issue. Here in MN (USA) mine has been sitting out in -15 F already. No symptoms of plague yet on my mistress but I avoided giving her the ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
It's not a dent, it's a bulge. It's ethanol.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Gero. I was hoping that the TV was more immune to this issue being a later design. There is a grey dot sticker on the tank that is, I believe, supposed to signify that these tanks are considered ethanol safe. Guess that maybe means they'll just last a bit longer, AKA beyond warranty period.

I fill up 98 RON fuel whenever I can as that tends to have less ethanol that 95 RON E10. I use Stabil over winter storage and I also brim the tank before a layup to exclude the air gap. Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chas

Where would one find this grey dot sticker on the tank? I take it that the ethanol moisture absorption from air properties is causing the tank bubbling?

The few times I've had to use ethanol fuel in my MV while on the road traveling, I tried to ensure that my ride that day will consume most of the ethanol fuel and I am able to refuel at the end of the day with non ethanol fuel. Not always the easiest here in the USA, but I use this app to assist with non ethanol fuel purchases when traveling.

PURE GAS

Don't know if it assist those in Europe or other countries.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My tank is slowly growing. It wont be covered till it leaks. Its considered cosmetic at this point :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts