MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, rode for about 30 miniutes in my new helmet today after it arrived.

My previous helmet is now, a passenger helmet. it's a KBC Force RR.

I got it because I knew I was going to order a better helmet, and I dare not ride home from the dealer without a helmet. Even if it is only 20 minutes away....

Here's my review.

The paint on this thing is INTENSE, as you will see by the pics. Finish is the same as an MV...a work of art. It comes with an Iridium visor which does help from the sun, but not too much to where you can't use the visor at night like a tinted shield. It's a just right, IMO.

The liner is one of the things that sucked me to this helmet besides it artwork and weight. After trying on other helmet, once you put on the Suomy, all the other liners feel like sandpaper on your face cause the Alcantra is just so smooth. The fit for a Suomy is perfect since my head is very dolichocephalic...i.e. VERY ROUND, like a globe head, lol. So the helmet is like a suction cup. The weight is intense, quick head motions are very easy cause the helmet is so light.

The ventilation is BAR NONE. The vents open or shut actually make a HUGE difference, unlike alot of helmets. You truly do get entire head ventilation, as above my ear were even getting air.

Peripheral vision is awesome. It's much better than my KBC, and even better than my Shoeis.

But with all that, comes the negative. It's a VERY NOISY helmet. Which is understandable, considering it's a race helmet and has super ventilation. Most/all of the wind noise/whistling comes from the sideplates. If you put your hand over the sideplate, 99% of the wind noise goes away. When your head is turned to the side, like when looking over your shoulder, it gets EXTREMELY loud. This is definitly an earplugs helmet.

Also, the upper cowling things. They could be a little umm...well, not as cheap? But I guess that's how they get the light weight is from it being such thin plastic. But the mating surface also isn't PERFECT.

Aside from that, here's the rest of the pics:

You can see, the paint and design on this helmet is bar none, and sparkles like it's flashing lights. Absolutely AWESOME quality and detail.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I've had a Suomy Spec-1R for the last 4 years and recently bought another one. Yeah, i really like them :smoking:

Your's looks great :smoking:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Be careful of the iridium on the shield! I was using Plexus to clean my visor on a recent 1600 mile road trip, and this past weekend at Spring Mountain race track, and the iridium has become damaged. For whatever reason, Suomy chose to put the coating on the exterior of the visor, and it has worn off in patches. And the helmet is less than 1 month old. Granted, I should use only water and a mild soap to clean it, but never have I had any problems with Plexus before, even with other iridium shields.

Other than that my Spec-1 R is awsome, and I believe from what I have read about the extreme, much quieter but still has superb venting.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I only use water to clean the shields and helmet....takes a little more elbow grease, but there's no worries. Heh, I even did it on my cheapy KBC. But so long as you keep up on it and not let it get too dirty, it should be cake.

My only disappointment was how noisy it is. A $650 helmet (not what I paid though :p) should be a LITTLE quieter. I dunno if this makes sense, but it's not a cheap helmet noisy, but rather, a design kinda noisy.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I see you are about to run it through the washing machine.....be carefull..here are a couple tips....
1. Gain is ok, but Tide does not fade the colors as much.
2. Use the "delicate" cycle and COLD water.
3. Dont mix light and dark helmets in the same load.
4. Tumble dry cool, NO heat...otherwise it may shrink....and throw in a nice fabric softner for a fresh spring scent.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
My Suomy Spec1R Extreme Fabrizio replica report...

Here is my little report for my 2005 Suomy Spec1R Extreme Fabrizio replica:

Previous helmet: 2003 Arai RX7 Corsair Hayden black wire.

The suomy was purchased in 2/2005 after a minor crash with the Arai. I bought it for $465 and $35 for a dark shield shipped from Heatwave cycles in Arizona, it was by far the best price I was able to find, thanks to R6messsagenet.

I take very good care of my helmet, I use it almost daily... I always wear a skull cap, wash the lining once every 3 month, wipe down the helmet with damp cloth every week or so. when I store it in the lockers at the gym or work, I always put it in the supplied helmet bag,; I always operate the shield with care, I clean the shields with warm soapy water occasionally(use Plexus on the outside of the shield almost every ride), dry them with tissue papar, never dropped it or bang it into objects... I baby it.

I love the look of this helmet, it is a stunning looking design and a big plus for me is that it doesn't have a Fabrizio signature or his mascot anywhere on the helmet... I have gotten countless compliments for the helmet everywhere.

Initially, the helmet feels and seems like it's pretty much in the same league as the Corsair, although there are more vents on the Corsair, the 1R is MUCH louder, riding without earplugs is unbearable for me. vents are good, no better no worse than Corsair.

I also noticed that the seal between the shield and the helmet is not very tight, in certain head positions I have felt air and water coming through even when the shield is properly locked down, but it's not too bad.

the 2 D-rings on the strap have sharp edges compared to the Corsair's D-rings, took care of it with a Dremel, no big deal.

Changing of shields is a pain in the ass, it requires an object/tool to do it. At first I thought the Corsiar was a pain compared to friends Shoei, but the spec 1R is much worse! I never wear glasses/sunglasses under the helmet so this is a big hassle for me because I need to change the shield often, however with more than a year of practice I am pretty much used to doing it.

The 5 shields I have for the 1R have been very problematic: 2 Iridium, 1 clear with t/o posts, 2 dark smoke with t/o posts and within 6 month of using each shield, they all have either developed cracks, bubbled or BOTH.

At the time of purchase, I had the iridium which came with the helmet, and a dark smoke one, FYI I use dark 60% and iridum 40% for my riding: within 3 month, the iridium's clear antifog coating started bubbling around the bottom edge+locking piece, soon it went around the whole outside of the shield, the dark shield also developed a crack around the locking piece(on the shield itself) and within 2 weeks of that the whole locking piece had broken off(during my commute).

I contacted Suomy, to my surprise they immediately offer to send me 2 new replacement shields for FREE, they told me that they were aware of "the first batch" of the iridium had peeling problems and the new ones are cured of that issue.

I got the 2 new shields in the mail within days. unfortunately they also developed problems, as you can see in the pictures below, the new iridium shield has a crack at the locking piece and bubbled/peeled, the dark shield has 2 cracks: at the locking piece and the t/o post.

I contacted Suomy again, told them about the issue and asked them to just send me a clear shield with post instead of the fancy iridium shield(iridium retails $90 the clear is $45), which they did also send it without charge... but again, the clear shield developed a crack ON THE BLACK LOCKING PIECE and started to bubble up right next to it. I have not yet ask for a new replacement dark shield.

last thing: a month ago I noticed that the mouth vent on the chin bar was loose on the left side, after inspecting it carefully I realized that a little pin/screw was broken off(which goes into the small round hole on the sides), and there was no way for me to tighten the other one or fix the broken one as it seems to have been installed during the shell assembling process... and 2 days ago when I was putting the helmet on the rack after riding home, I noticed the whole mouth vent assembly was GONE!

a quick note on cleaning the visor: I can't stand dirty visor, it is also unsafe to use one... when I got my Suomy, I continue using the shield cleanning instruction from the Corsair since suomy didn't supply any. what Arai suggested was to dunk the shield in soapy water, very lightly clean the shield with the whole hand, rinse off, with running water, shake off water, use facial tissue(softest... no paper towels) to DAB OR PAT the shield dry, no wiping or rubbing. However I have noticed with the Suomy shield you will need to move quickly as water makes the shield antifog coating bubble up temperarily... although the coating goes back down when it's dry, it is a very discorncerting sight and I can't imagine that's good for it... they are pretty lame shields IMHO, especially when compared to the shields of Corsair, the 1R shields are thinner and more flexy.

I will say again that Suomy customer service have been great.

I think it's time for me to look for a new helmet, Vemar Carbon? anyway, I hope this helps...

Attachments

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
lewdog998 said:
I see you are about to run it through the washing machine.....be carefull..here are a couple tips....
1. Gain is ok, but Tide does not fade the colors as much.
2. Use the "delicate" cycle and COLD water.
3. Dont mix light and dark helmets in the same load.
4. Tumble dry cool, NO heat...otherwise it may shrink....and throw in a nice fabric softner for a fresh spring scent.
thanks for the good tips, I will use them for my Dainese leathers. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I know the reason your shield is bubbling. Somebody on the R6 boards said that the Suomy shield is the only shield he has owned where plexus affects the shield. His iridium is flaking off, and his ant-fog bubbling.

But a couple other people I talked to that use just water, have no issues.

I always clean my helmets with JUST WATER, as there's no chance of solventes jackin anything up, and honestly, if you take care of it like you do, water is really all you need as it moistens up the bugs enough to wipe them off.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
oicdn said:
I think I know the reason your shield is bubbling. Somebody on the R6 boards said that the Suomy shield is the only shield he has owned where plexus affects the shield. His iridium is flaking off, and his ant-fog bubbling.

But a couple other people I talked to that use just water, have no issues.

I always clean my helmets with JUST WATER, as there's no chance of solventes jackin anything up, and honestly, if you take care of it like you do, water is really all you need as it moistens up the bugs enough to wipe them off.

Nah... I know a few other guys at my local Yamaha dealers have same problems with their 1r Extreme too. As I said earlier, I only use the plexus with the OUTSIDE of the shield, mounted on the helmet with the shield in the close position, for the inside I only clean it with the shield removed and dunked in light soapy water, the issue of bubbling happens with water, not with plexus. the plexus has never touched the inside of any of my shield. Besides, Suomy people told me on the phone that they are aware that the 1st batch of iridium shields would bubble and peel when it gets wet. and again, in my experience, it bubbles up a bit temporarily if it's not dried quickly.

I wore RX glasses/contacts/cycling shades my whole life and totally agree with you that (light soapy)water is the best cleanner for lenses, as recommanded by Arai, Zeizz and Rudy project, and my good fried who makes RX glasses for a living. light soap is needed to get rid of the oil on the lens.

with the Corsair shield I have never had any problems with Windex, Plexus or water. Perhaps Suomy sent me the early iridium both times, I will ask them for new ones and see if it is better. still, there is the cracking issue,

It's a beautiful helmet, I love it but it just hasn't done well, maybe it's just a lemon?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Spec 1R Extreme Flowers as well- The guy who did the graphics is right down the street from me here in Santa Barbara- Airtrix- Sick shop- I'm not looking forward to that lens crack problem.. that sux... I'm on sheild # 2, but I dropped the helmet once and it seemed to land directly on the shield- (duh...) that Hydrophobic coating is sketchy.. it's like tacky, hence almost impossible to clean.. it just sticks to all lint from any cloth.. even non-lint ones.. I'm afraid to get any water on it as my old one bubbled up.. BUT- If you dont care about the Hydrophobic qualties, you can soak it and then just remove the coating under water.. takes about 10 minutes, but it comes out well..

Coleman.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Col3man said:
I have a Spec 1R Extreme Flowers as well- The guy who did the graphics is right down the street from me here in Santa Barbara- Airtrix- Sick shop- I'm not looking forward to that lens crack problem.. that sux... that Hydrophobic coating is sketchy.. it's like tacky, hence almost impossible to clean.. it just sticks to all lint from any cloth.. even non-lint ones.. I'm afraid to get any water on it as my old one bubbled up.. BUT- If you dont care about the Hydrophobic qualties, you can soak it and then just remove the coating under water.. takes about 10 minutes, but it comes out well..

Coleman.
Didn't know the Flower was an American design...

Yes it is a bad sensation when "wiping" the inside of the shield with anything at any pressure, like you said, it's tacky, grippy, something... very strange. bit it is only that way with my iridium and clear shield, the smoke shield seems to not have that same coating...

After I got the replacement iridium, I tried to soak the old peeled/bubbled iridium shield and removed the rest of the coating flakes, it took me a long time to get all the little pieces off, and once it was all off I tried using it again at night(the only time I use the clear/iridium shields), and the lens had a lot of reflections/distortion, it was just ruined... which led me to think the coating was for antifog and GLARE.

FYI, the iridium is built into the lens, not in the atifog/glare coating.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Noise?

Have any of you previously had Arai, Shark, Shoei, or AGV helmets? Does anyone else feel that the Spec-1R is a noisy helmet? I used to have an Arai RX-7RR (until it was stolen; bastard kid) and it was nowhere near as loud as my Spec-1R. I still love the helmet though.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
May have missed oicdn's comment about it being a very noisy helmet in the first post :) so you are definitely not alone

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been told that the regular Spec 1R isn't quite as loud as the extreme. Actually, not nearly as loud.

i dunno if it's because I have sensetive ears or what, but the wind noise is REALLY bad. My ears are borderline ringing after a fast paced ride. When putting around, no biggie, but a fast ride, or a long ride...the wind noise is bad. It's not a whistling noise like a cheap helmet, but rather, it's just LOUD wind noise...kinda like, when you squid it out with no helmet, it's just loud wind noise.

I definitly recommend ear plugs with this helmet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts