MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just back from a test drive of the F3 and here is my impression of the bike so far...

Let me start with a list of positives, negatives, indifferent - please remember that this is only my view and you should all make your own!:thewife:

Positive:
engine - lovely, quick revving
sound - at speed and higher in the revs the intake/exhaust/engine noise gives me goosebumps
handling - only tested on motorway and 5 or 6 turns but what i could see was positive...flickable, quick steering, stable in the turns very responsive
looks - man that thing is pretty

Indifferent:
exhaust alignment - yes, slightly off but unless you are looking for it, it will not jump out at you and say "WTF"

Negative (pls do not jump down my throat...there are a few in MY opinion):
fueling - this comes out as 2 symptoms which i think are only 1 problem
1. under 4k jerkiness...should be better with new map
2. close to slightly open at high revs - very abrupt from on-off resulting a jerk when shutting the throttle off when revs over 10k and from 7k (no throttle) to trying to cruise (no acceleration)
gearing - fook this think is geared high...1st gear in town, 3rd gear on motorway easy (120k). Need to change front and rear sprocket to make better and get some free extra power
handling - yes, this is negative as well...a bit nervous (but not excessive) but also experiences head shakes when accelerating hard. My RS 250 is less nervous and the F3 reminds me of the RSV4. Steering damper should fix this up no problem
shifter - no way i could see to reverse the gear shift pattern to GP with stock rearsets.

All in all, i really like this bike but it will need a bit of work to become "mine". I weighed it at 184kg with 1/2 tank of gas using a home scale (yes, not very accurate) which is around 4kg less than my 848 with similar gas in the tank...848 also has slipon, no rear foot rests and carbon cover instead of the rear seat so total weight difference should be around 7kg less than the 848. This wet weight puts it right around the Truimph 675R which has the lowest wet weight for middle weight sports bikes according to wikipedia

:hitit:

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's nice to hear someone's view who has taken the time. Thanks!

I wouldn't rush out and buy a steering damper before playing with the set up. Otherwise you could be pasting over a basic setup problem.

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
thanks for the info.

i would also add that the dual seat with pillion pegs should be an option and the bike should come with a single seat as standard. Those pillion pegs stand out like the preverbial 'dogs balls'.

Unfortunately, government regulations also mean the number plate holder extends way down (in Oz it's got to be at an angle of 45 degrees from the rear wheel axle and the cops ping you if it isn't - ie a tail tidy mod). The bike would look better without the plate holder or at least a much smaller one.

Called into my local MV dealer yesterday and saw the F3 oro. Small and stunning and the three pipes .. wow. He also said that there was a software upgrade as the existing mapping has a tendancy to 'cut out'. They are waiting for it so they can deliver the bike to the new owner. The upgrade is for all F3 bikes.

I'm looking forward to getting a ride/demo ride on one. May even i]break a 'rule' ( never buy the first of anything as there are always problems which are usually sorted by the second batch) and buy one

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Will there be a r version?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am hoping to make a tail tidy, or possibly make one from another mv model fit, perhaps an f4, I doubt it will be massively different ? Hopefully just a case of drilling new holes in the bracket.

With a bit of luck R&G or Evotech will come up with one soon. I might contact them once I have the bike and offer mine for measuring up.

The pillion rests will be the first to come off, that will save some weight too!

Interesting about gearing, I'm sure someone else, the filter people have mentioned they are looking at the gearing

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was driving in sport mode. I did not notice the partial open of the gas in the corners but then again I am used to riding my RS250 at the track.

Setup/replacement shock and fork internals will help but i do not think it will get rid of the twitchyness completely - my RS250 and 848 are both more stable and the F3 remind me of the RSV and my ZX10R which benefited greatly from the steering damper (also quicker/cheaper initially than going whole hog on the suspension :))

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgot 1 thing:

engine braking is extremely high - more than on my 848...so much so that it feels like you hit the rear brake at the same time when shutting off the throttle from about 10k

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
forgot 1 thing:

engine braking is extremely high - more than on my 848...so much so that it feels like you hit the rear brake at the same time when shutting off the throttle from about 10k
Do you have a slipper clutch on your F3? (I've forgotten if this was an optional extra)
Did your 848 have one?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
F3 is a standard one - no EAS or slipper on it...and it's not mine yet - just the shop demo bike. To be honest, the standard one is very good as it is and the quick shifter and slipper clutch from the factory are probably not the ones I would want on it (because OEM shifter cannot go to GP pattern and I prefer the Sutter slipper clutch)
I have a 2011 848 (non-evo) dark

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, so in Sport mode the electronic engine braking system does not work or is dissabled ?
dunno

from feel - engine braking (motorway) it engine braking is hard
in corners, engine braking function (bit of gas so that it feels like it is in neutral) is supposed to be working but i did not feel it...this may be due to my being used to riding a 250 2 stroke

·
Registered
77 Posts
The custom map let's you tailor engine breaking. It may be a combination of you being used to a 250 and the fly by wire. The r6's are notoriously similar when closing the throttle on turn in.

Personally I'm looking forward to tailoring the bike to me with the custom map.

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not a fan of a lot. Of engine breaking. Hope you can basically turn it off. Or down so it doesn't feel like your breaking when your not.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the reviews in magazines in the States mentioned that the dash was almost unusable. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pjk
If you are looking at the dash, you're not going fast enough!

Sorry, i did not look. Only thing that I should have checked is if the shift light was bright enough to be seen...but the demo bike only had 100km on it and I tried to avoid the rev limiter (I only saw around 13k indicated so i had a few revs still to go ;))

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
handling - yes, this is negative as well...a bit nervous (but not excessive) but also experiences head shakes when accelerating hard. My RS 250 is less nervous and the F3 reminds me of the RSV4. Steering damper should fix this up no problem
OK - That's just bad advice.
A steering damper is a safety system designed to dampen rapid oscillation of the steering system - not to reduce what is described as a "nervous" feeling from the front end to the rider. What's happening here is that the bike is running reduced rake and trail. This will have the advantage of making the bike, any bike for that matter, turn in very quickly. The trade off is that, even in a straight line, the bike will feel like the front end is flighty, twitchy or "nervous". Some riders like a quicker turning bike, some do not.
A bike with reduced trail will feel less planted or stable at high lean angles.

To reduce this "nervousness" you do not install a steering damper and wind up the damping to reduce the flighty feedback under acceleration. What you do is alter the geometry of the bike. You don't have to reduce the rake & trail much to make the bike less "nervous".
Steering dampers should be set so their influence on the steering system is minimal when turning the steering. Like they are not even there. Again, they are designed to dampen rapid oscillation.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK - That's just bad advice.
A steering damper is a safety system designed to dampen rapid oscillation of the steering system - not to reduce what is described as a "nervous" feeling from the front end to the rider. What's happening here is that the bike is running reduced rake and trail. This will have the advantage of making the bike, any bike for that matter, turn in very quickly. The trade off is that, even in a straight line, the bike will feel like the front end is flighty, twitchy or "nervous". Some riders like a quicker turning bike, some do not.
A bike with reduced trail will feel less planted or stable at high lean angles.

To reduce this "nervousness" you do not install a steering damper and wind up the damping to reduce the flighty feedback under acceleration. What you do is alter the geometry of the bike. You don't have to reduce the rake & trail much to make the bike less "nervous".
Steering dampers should be set so their influence on the steering system is minimal when turning the steering. Like they are not even there. Again, they are designed to dampen rapid oscillation.
OK - maybe I expressed it incorrectly.

Accelerating medium-hard (shift from 2nd around 13,000rpm with 90% throttle and without using clutch or letting off the gas) from on-ramp of the motorway, I experienced some head shake. I would only imagine that this would be worse at full throttle.

This is EXACTLY what a steering damper is there to limit - uncontrollable high speed oscillation of the front wheel that is frequently experienced on sports bikes under hard acceleration. Setup of the suspension will reduce this but if it is this easy to get the shakes I would want the steering damper on there as a safety device.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts