MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsuprisingly, my rear brake stopped working after about 1500 miles. You guys seemed suprised that my brake worked at all when I mentioned it here once.

Anyway, I let the guy who got me into riding ride my 750 and he freaked out about the rear brake. Everyone here seems to have no problem without a rear brake, but the MSF course and a lot of other people say the rear brake is necessary for optimum braking. So, is it really ok to have a rear brake that does NOTHING at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
I use the rear brake infrequently and I know many MV owners don't use it at all. The point is, if it's fitted it should be working. Infrequent use of braking components quite often result in the slider mechanism or the caliper pistons seizing. The only remedy is to strip the caliper to find out which component/s are locked up and get the whole assembly working again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
For canyon/street riding I NEVER use the rear brake. So YES.

For wheelies I ALWAYS cover the rear brake and prepare myself to use it as necessary. So NO.



psperl said:
Unsuprisingly, my rear brake stopped working after about 1500 miles. You guys seemed suprised that my brake worked at all when I mentioned it here once.

Anyway, I let the guy who got me into riding ride my 750 and he freaked out about the rear brake. Everyone here seems to have no problem without a rear brake, but the MSF course and a lot of other people say the rear brake is necessary for optimum braking. So, is it really ok to have a rear brake that does NOTHING at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JamesC said:
Psperl are you already familiar with and have covered the stages in the FAQ entry?

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/rear-brake-reservoir-relocation.html

I bought the bike with 12000 miles and the rear brake worked, but not that great. Enough to lock the rear wheel.

In just 1500 miles it went from working to absolutely nothing. I just ignored it becuase I hear about how people's rear brake doesn't work all the time in these forums.

So, I haven't covered the stages in the FAQ entry. I will when I get the time, I just wanted to see if my brake is like everyone else's, as I suspected.

btw, you have a great site there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
It is not acceptable. Mine has completely stopped working as well and I will be working on it as soon as I do the next service in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what I find. I am not sure that I want to relocate the reservoir, but I will if I must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
i know alot of riders who race on the track and they disable the rear brake....i myself never use the rear brake even thought the MSF course and DMV book teaches otherwise. I think the DMV courses are really geared toward the cruisers and not toward sportbikes. There is a big difference between the two and I will be happy when the states begin to recognize that and change the way they instruct begining motorcyclists.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
It should be a very easy problem to trouble shoot and repair, there are only a select # of things that can cause that. I personally only use my rear brake in emergency or panic situations, the msf course if not intended to teach you to ride to the limits of tire adhesion, and MV Agusta's are happiest just there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
I had the dealer adjust my break on my old 750 and it work very well.

I don't use with when I ride but do use it to keep the bike from rolling backwards at a stop. So, yeah, it does need to work or they would have added it. :) I think it's just an adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solo said:
i know alot of riders who race on the track and they disable the rear brake....i myself never use the rear brake even thought the MSF course and DMV book teaches otherwise. I think the DMV courses are really geared toward the cruisers and not toward sportbikes. There is a big difference between the two and I will be happy when the states begin to recognize that and change the way they instruct begining motorcyclists.
Agreed, I was shocked at how ineffective the MSF course was. I don't think it even was that good for cruisers. I don't think you should give a motorcycle license to someone who's never been over 30 mph, in 4th, 5th or 6th gear, or on a public road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
solo said:
i know alot of riders who race on the track and they disable the rear brake....i myself never use the rear brake even thought the MSF course and DMV book teaches otherwise. I think the DMV courses are really geared toward the cruisers and not toward sportbikes. There is a big difference between the two and I will be happy when the states begin to recognize that and change the way they instruct begining motorcyclists.


Hey Solo,

" disable the rear brake on the track"...........This is insane!...And incredibly reckless....I dont have the time right now to explain the rear brake's virtues as I have to get offline. But I will say this, please be aware that a huge # of people {this site included} love to talk a big game about how they dont need/use rear brakes....It has become a "bragging right" of some sort, If your friends really dont have a functioning rear brake then they absolutely out of there minds! Is it possible that they have the brakes connected but they feel that they are "the man" if they claim otherwise?

The next time someone in your life{or on these forums} braggs about how worthless a rear brake system is on a sportbike- ask them or yourself how they/you plan on bringing your speed down after you overshoot a turn and run wide onto something other than asphalt? I assure you- dragging your feet doesnt sound so fun but it would be more effective than your main/front brakes..

Sorry about the rant, I have been hearing the " I am so talented I dont use my rear brake at all" chest pounding alpha male bullshit for decades now and I am dissapointed in my fellow rider everytime I hear it....

Go ride your bike.....Thanks again for putting up with me.

Hedges,

FBD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Must agree with FBD, I use my rear brakes when I over run a turn at high speed and need to get back in line. A friend of mine was behind me when we hung a turn hard. I used the rear brake.. he didn't. Needless to say he grabbed his front brakes when he realized he wasn't going to make the turn and went straight across lanes of on coming traffic and totalled his bike. Luckily the cars saw his stupidity and stopped before they hit him. Unfortunetly for his bike when he cut across traffic his front wheel hit the middle divide and the bike high sided him and flipped a couple times. So any body else thinks rear brakes is un-important? This all happened off 101 at the oregon express way in Palo Alto, CA USA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
As I have stated previously in my posts, if you'r of the "I don't use my rear brake" school...then remove the rear brake/caliper/rotor and save yourself a ton of weight :stickpoke :stir: ...I have seen Rossi's bike, and believe me he has rear brakes!!!! :)

But there's a real art in knowing and being able to use your rear brake to settle the suspension before entering a corner under hard braking. If you use the front brake first, then I agree there's no weight on the rear wheel for the rear brake to be effective. However, if you touch the rear brake just before you apply the front brake, you put some weight on the rear for the rear brake to become effective, and thus settling the suspension. I know this is kind of hard to do and somethimes you need three legs for that, especially if you are prepering to hang of the bike with one foot riding the peg on the ball of your foot (inside foot), while the other foot is anchored at the heel (outside foot) on the peg.

Of course many wish to argue, and I'm not really interested to change anyone's mind. But if you disagree with the above, then you disagree with Nick Ienatsch "Sport Riding Techniques", chapter 6; and also you disagree with Reg Pridmore "Smooth Riding, The Pridmore Way" chapter 3. :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
It has been said elsewhere on this forum that the european idea of a rear brake is to help control the bike through high speed corners and this is what the race guys do, so I believe. On the Suzuki 600 yoou can easily lock up the rear brake which in itself can be quite unsettling.

I like the MV rear brake particularly when I know that it will not lock up and often I have tested it's retardation when coming to a stop and it has impressed me with its effectiveness even though it doesn't appear to being doing much most of the time.

You should always use it when coming to a stop in traffic as it makes for much smoother slowing down in stop and go situations as at traffic lights etc. It stops the nose-dive when you finally come to a full stop and there are pedestrians everywhere!

I use mine through roundabouts and when I am unsure of what some car drivers are about to do, particularly when cornering through the roundabout where hitting the front brake is too sudden or severe and can upset your line thru' the corner.

There are some good thoughts on how others use theirs in this thread I think we all can learn so much here on this forum.

My 2cents worth!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
Totally agree with you firebreathingdog.

Thanks to JamesC, I'll be relocating the rear brake fluid location.

firebreathingdog said:
Hey Solo,

" disable the rear brake on the track"...........This is insane!...And incredibly reckless....I dont have the time right now to explain the rear brake's virtues as I have to get offline. But I will say this, please be aware that a huge # of people {this site included} love to talk a big game about how they dont need/use rear brakes....It has become a "bragging right" of some sort, If your friends really dont have a functioning rear brake then they absolutely out of there minds! Is it possible that they have the brakes connected but they feel that they are "the man" if they claim otherwise?

The next time someone in your life{or on these forums} braggs about how worthless a rear brake system is on a sportbike- ask them or yourself how they/you plan on bringing your speed down after you overshoot a turn and run wide onto something other than asphalt? I assure you- dragging your feet doesnt sound so fun but it would be more effective than your main/front brakes..

Sorry about the rant, I have been hearing the " I am so talented I dont use my rear brake at all" chest pounding alpha male bullshit for decades now and I am dissapointed in my fellow rider everytime I hear it....

Go ride your bike.....Thanks again for putting up with me.

Hedges,

FBD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Pete,
I also agree with FBD and Andyman. I can't tell you how many times I've entered turns too hot and by just applying slight steady pressure on the rear brake the rearend squats and the bike becomes more managable. I wouldn't ride on the streets without it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
FDB, gazman - right on the mark. Also, when street riding do you ever ride in a crowded parking lot or gas station? Are you using front brake only at slow (walking) speed? When that car backs out in front of while you have the front wheel turned at slow speed, you'll be awful embarrassed when you keel over because you grabbed a handful of front brake. The rear brake is your friend when manuvering at slow (walking) speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I finally got around to pulling my rear brake last night and the pads were shot. The bike has less than 8000 miles and I seldom use the rear brake so I was quite surprised. And no, I do not rest my foot on the brake either. Would the heat issue have caused this?
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top