MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride with a few buddies Saturday and had a bad accident. I came upon some slow traffic, 4 cars going 35 in a 45 mph speed zone. When the passing lane opened I saw the road was clear to pass. While attempting to pass the 3rd vehicle which was pulling an empty car trailer, he decided to pass the car in front. His trailer took my Brutale 910 out so fast I never saw it leave my hands. The next thing I know I’m laying on the trailer facing backwards on my side while trying not to fall off especially towards the inside of the trailer because it had an open bottom. I’m going 50 mph with nothing to hold on to wondering if this a-hole is ever going to stop. At the last minute before completely stopping I fall off onto my back and roll to my stomach. My injuries consist of two scraped knuckles, a sore back and shoulder. It’s absolutely amazing I landed on the guy’s trailer but had I rolled off in the wrong direction the back brace bar of the trailer would have hit me and if I had survived that surly the car behind us would likely have run me over. I’m so fortunate I wasn’t killed. The guy says he never saw mw but I suspect he never looked because I was 30 feet behind him just to the left of his trailer. It also turns out he didn’t have any lights hooked up on the trailer he borrowed and it was his wife who was following him to hide the fact that his lights weren’t working.
The entire right side of my beautiful bike is road rash and I’m sure it’s going to be a total.
The kick in the head came when the cop arrives and talks privately with the guy and his wife before coming up to me to say “what’s your story?”
He threatens to give me a ticket for $153 dollars for multiple passing before even knowing all the details. When I mention the guy’s trailer lights he sees it a challenge and says “you just bought yourself a $153 dollar ticket. He ended up not giving me the ticket, giving a verbal warning to the guy with the trailer for his lack of signals. The cop was so biased it was clearly obvious. The case is in the hands of my attorney. The guy never even reported the incident to his insurance company because the cop made him feel like he was at no fault.
I know if could have been worse; I could have been killed, but I want a new 910 Brutale to replace the one this jack-ass took from me!

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
Well that is a sh!tty story. glad to hear you are ok, but i would go after that motorcycle hating cop with everything i got. good luck getting yourself another 910, maybe even an upgrade to an "R" wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi, sorry your first post here is such a sad one. :eek: Glad you are Ok, but I agree with Greeneggs&ham, that Cop is a complete arsehole, when you get your new bike, run the tosser over with it. :naughty:

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Oh man! I hate to hear that. Thank god you are okay and all the best towards getting yourself on another 910. That cop is a jerk, and you should definitely not let him keep you from what you deserve.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
be glad that are even alive to be mad. that's like unbelieveable. i would have nightmares for 2 weeks after something like that. but i agree, get a police report. you will need it for your insurance claim anyway.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Man, I hated reading that. Thank god you are still alive to talk about it. I would go after both those a-holes with everything you've got. That cop should loose his f'ing job. I am pissed as hell and this didn't happen to me! This is the second accident story I have read on this board today. Very bad news.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
As the saying goes" Live to ride another day". Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Three words...
"FILE A POLICE REPORT".....("A" doesn't count as a word...:)

Three more words...

"Sue The Bastard!"

Glad you are OK. Truely an qamazing story!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all very much! I am very grateful to be alive. It’s in the hands of my attorney who is fortunately also my cousin and a fellow motorcyclist. The cop was a real prick and I took the advice of another officer the following day to report him and the way he handled the situation. His Sergeant agreed it was handled poorly and said they were going to discuss it with him. My attorney wished I hadn’t made the call because the officer never made a report and now he might. My attorney preferred that this jack-ass cop just stay out of the picture; he did enough damage already by indicating to the guy who hit me that he wasn’t at fault. Our chance to plead our case will come soon enough, and we are shooting a warning shot that we may have medical issues also. My back, shoulder rotator cup, knee and hip are now showing signs of soreness that weren’t present two days ago. They better hope that all they have to pay for is a new replacement motorcycle!
Believe it or not just this morning while riding to work on my BMW K1200 G/T I had another Cage almost change lanes on me just as I was approaching him on the left side of a two lane highway. He suddenly turned on his blinker when he heard me accelerate and swerve past him, then he pulled in behind me. It’s not just that Cagers don’t see us; they’re simply just not looking at all!
I’ll keep anyone interested posted.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry for the incident..... glad your O.K.!!!

You can sue the other driver, but his insurance will go off the police report.

Unless you have witnesses, prepare for a long, long wait with an outcome possibly not in your favor! It's gonna get ugly, I promise!

As for the Officer, forget it, take your lumps and lick your wounds... he's almost untouchable.

Your best chance was at the scene. You needed to convince that officer that the other driver was at fault. By accepting the officer's conclusion of what happened, you're set for a grueling, uphill battle that will test your patience. I know all to well from a personal experience involving me, my wife, and two children!

I hope I'm wrong and I hope it goes smoothly for you. I truly wish you the best of luck!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To our knowledge the police officer who showed up never did a report. He never asked for either of our driver’s licenses, registrations, not even our names. He didn’t go look at the trailer even after I told him it had no working lights and it was a borrowed trailer. All this guy did was threaten me and verbally warn the guy about the trailer. The cop said he was told he would be reporting to a fatality, yet he didn’t even ask if I was alright. Any attempt on my part to explain what happened only evoked hostility from the cop so I wasn’t allowed to discuss any details.
The information the cop gave about passing only car at a time and returning to the lane after each pass is incorrect according to my research governing the Washington State Legislature RCW laws regarding Overtaking on the left. Here’s what it says: “The driver of a vehicle overtaking other traffic proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken traffic.” The Washington State Drivers Manual only mentions as a guideline that you should pass only one car at a time, but that’s a general guideline and not the law. So at this point I don’t see where I did anything wrong other than assume the risk of a typical passing situation. Had I got hit head-on or created an accident by cutting back into traffic I would expect to be held at fault. However under the circumstances the guy pulling the trailer never checked his mirrors, failed to yield the right of way of a passing vehicle, failed to signal his intentions and had no working trailer lights. I have a hard time believing the other driver wouldn’t be held responsible, but I’m preparing for a fight none the less just in case.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
so because the cop didn't want to do his job it's all going to be your word against theirs. So, they'll obviously report their trailer lights worked, etc.

You can ask your attorney, but it seems that more weight is given to a police report that you file, rather than just your word afterwards.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We filed a collision report and have pictures of the guys Ford Explorer parked down the road on the shoulder with his flashers on but no lights showing on the trailer. He also openly admitted to the cop that his lights didn’t work and that it wasn’t his trailer. We'll see how it goes from here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts