MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found a helmet I liked enough to replace my old, worn out, loose fitting lid. The showa now becomes a relic for the office and is replaced with my first Suomy helmet. The Suomy is significantly lighter but I haven't ridden with it yet to determine things like wind noise, buffetting etc.

Here is the style because I am too lazy to take actual pics:

Suomy Vandal Itallia Matt (It should be Matte, no?)

·
Registered
467 Posts
that's a good looking helmet, Rob. I'm currently in the market for one myself, I'm fancying a Sumoy or a custom painted Arai RX-7 to match my F4, but I don't know any good custom helmet guys in the United States (anyone?), so I might just grab a Colin Edwards black replica....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Custom guys, Airtrix and Troy lee sping to mind, but I am sure they are big bucks!
Suomy had a few new styles which where pretty nice. I was looking for something a bit more sedate since most of the current styles are a bit over the top for my tastes. I like the Arai flag italy but I didn't like the shape of the shell. It took me a long time to get this one (2 years) and I was basically riding around in a dangerously bad fitting helmet!

·
King of Bling
9,809 Posts
Hey Rob..

Great choice of lid.. I have the same model that I use when on my KTM..

I bought it off ebay for £100 approx ( but I know they are a lot more) and I'm well pleased with the quality and fit.. It's also, a reasonably quiet lid compared to other more expensive helmets..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
very nice lid man, im in the market to get a new lid too, i wanted to get the suomy capirossi replica, but in australia, no one wants to stock suomy for some reason. bummer for me, but great for you guys around the world

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just got this Suomy Extreme Spec 1R Italia. Really happy since it kind of matches my white F4. Having had Shoei's before, the Suomy is really light. The only drawback is changing the visor takes a bit more time than the Shoei's, but the overall finish is better in my opinion because they have 2 clip on pieces that over up the visor gears.

Haven't ridden with it because I don't have my bike back yet :stickpoke but I'll report back once I do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Rob

Nice choice. I bought the Vandal Cult about 2 months ago. Got a killer deal, $177 shipped. Anyway, my opinion about the Vandal:

• Quite noisy, I ride with earplugs so tolerable
    • I'm comparing to my other helmets
      • Arai Corsair RX-7
      • AGV Ti-Tech (Nice and tight, quiet)
      • X-lite X-801R (Very nice, quiet, heavier than the others)
      • Vemar VSREV Italy (Haven't used this one yet)
  • Fit is great, at least for my noggin
  • Sits high on the head so my eyes are right in the middle of the visor.
  • Not a big fan of the plastic strap release
Taking it to the track in 2 weeks, so I'll post how it does. I'm also taking the X-lite for comparison.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, after riding with the Suomy, here are my thoughts:

Compared to my Shoei X-11, it's quite noisy, but better ventilated, quite a bit lighter, and has better a better finished quality due to the fact it has 2 cover pieces on each side that cover up the visor mechanisms - unlike Shoei's. I went a size up to XL from my normal L on Shoei's and Arais and it fits perfectly. Well worth the $475.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I truely admire you guys

I would never buy a lid without first trying it on

I take it all purchases via internet are refundable if an incorrect fit

?

·
Registered
99 Posts
For MVA rider this one fits well too. Arai Chaser Legend, Phil Read replica. We all know that P. Read was the last rider to win GP world championship with MV Agusta in 500cc class 1974.

Excellent, simple, retro styling, quality feel and fit. I have it.
:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anybody Have Any Comments On Agv Gp Tech? I'm In The Market For A New Lid Too.....
I got the AGV GP-Tech Rossi "Dream" replica #500/1000. The design is one of the brightest I could find which I like since I usually get white or matte color helmets, at least now I'll be more visible (and obnoxious :) )

I picked it up from "Extreme Supply" in Signal Hill for $600 which is the most I've ever spent on a helmet, but not a bad deal compared to the $750 retail price. I also got one of the blue iridium shields ($60) which I really like for day riding but it's a bit dark for night time. It's very easy to change shields on the fly without any tools but I may still try out the rainbow iridium shield to see how it works day and night as a compromise.

I have a pretty round head with big cheeks, the Medium was too tight going on/off and I would have had to change the cheek pads for sure so I went with Large. I may get the Medium size upper pads if these ones pack out too much but after 5 or so days of riding it seems to be breaking in fine. I'm a Large in most Shoei/Arai helmets for reference. I can sometimes squeeze into Medium in some brands like HJC and Suomy.

I really like how light the helmet is, and it has great venting. I don't run the nose/fog guard but I left the chin guard on. The only down sides are a little too much airflow even with all vents closed which would only be bothersome if you do a lot of cold weather/night riding. Also a little bit of wind noise on the freeway, it's much quieter than my old Arai Quantum E but far from silent. I still prefer a little bit of wind noise and great venting for warmer days since most of my riding is on warmer days.

Overall I would give it a big thumbs up, I've seen some of the solid colored ones go for as little as $400 which seems to be pretty reasonable for a "higher end" helmet these days.

I also tried on the Suomy Spec 1-R Extreme, the Shoei X-Eleven, RF1000, The Dainese Performance d-tech, and the Arai Quantum 2 and Corsair.

Let me know if you had any more specific concerns/questions or if you'd like to try it on sometime if you're down here in Socal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great Helmet Painter: Alex Alives (Bryan Herta, Phil Giebler, Robby Gordon, a few front running Supercross Guys, etc) Fair Prices $200-$450 range (if you go crazy on design the price does go up) Takes him a month or two depending on time of year. He's a very good (but quiet) fellow and does high quality work. Tell him Donnie sent you: [email protected]

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's My First Time To See The Actual Agv Limited Rossi Dream Helmet And Tried It Too, I'm Very Impressed On Quality And Fit. Then They Can't Say That Your Not Visible Because Of The Color.....i May Pick Up Mine This Wednesday On My Day Off.. Keep You All Posted

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well since I just picked up a BMW Sport Integral I should let you know about it :D

GO AND BUY ONE!!!

Sadly no sweet graphics like the AGV GP-tech. But what a helmet - 2nd quietest in world - quietest in Australia! Comfortable and great field of view! Priced $100 cheaper than a Shoei....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts