MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So six weeks and 1100miles into my ownership of my Italia I thought it high time for a first post after lurking on here for at least 18 months.
First some background had my fair share of sport bikes over the years but my main bike for the past 9 years has been a Z1000 I bought new back in 2005. Loved it to bits but had always wanted something that was a bit closer spec wise to a current sports bike. My meagre talents didn't really need any more power but less weight, better suspension and brakes had appeal . Sadly Kawasaki kept teasing but not really delivering and all the while turning up the ugly dial on the newer versions of my Z.
When I saw the press launch picture of the 800 in Italia colours I just fell in love straight away but wasn't in position to buy at the time. Got to May last year and popped into my local dealer Bennetts to have a look, they had a 675 demo and I believe I ended taking it out just after JimboF4 of this parish. Found it to be everything I was looking for, just a total blast to hoon on. Did seriously consider forgoing a 800 for one just because I could see extra power/torque potentially spoiling the balance.
Was getting closer to be able to buy as we rolled into this year and by this time I decided to be "sensible" and try out a couple of other bikes that had caught my eye. Being sensible inevitably led to a BMW garage and a demo of a fully optioned S1000R. Great bike, lived up to the reviews in every way but it's slightly heavier feel to the steering/handling along with an engine that had a relative lack of charisma meant it didn't push my buttons as hard as the 675 had, . 15 minutes later I'm at the Triumph dealer sorting a go on a Street Triple as I feel should try one from the reviews despite not been wild about the 2013- restyle and the whistling primary drive. So got a couple of miles up the road and was having pretty much the same kind of fun I'd had on the 675 MV. Just felt more enjoyable and satisfying to thrash about on than the BMW. So chuckable and thrashable, only black mark were the wooden brakes but as it was the base model I could forgive it that.
This now made getting a demo on an 800 a priority so popped along to Bennets again and took one out. Was out for a couple of hours but I knew inside 5 minutes that it would be mine! Steering that bit sharper than the Striple, engine had that extra bit of spice to take it close to the BMW in terms of outright go with that extra dollop of triple charm/brio. Factor in the MV's general styling/sauciness being on level the BMW and Striple can't get near, it turned into an easy decision.

Sorted out a deal a couple of weeks later but had to wait until Sept for delivery, thanks to Paul at Bennetts for the patience. Managed 190 miles the afternoon it got delivered, ran a nice big loop up into North Yorkshire. Even with the rev limits and new tyres to scrub in had a blast threading it down as many twisty roads as I could find. As the miles have go on it just seem to have got better and better. About the only thing I definitely want to address is suspension setup. Bike is quite happy, easily bossed about and does whatever you ask without any misbehaviour but certain rough surfaces seem to pass straight through to me, it even blew it's headlamp bulb. Experimented with the damping and improved it slightly but waiting for a mate to give me a hand to get the sag measured and dialed in.

Just in case MV read this here's a small list of stuff that could be better:
Display - Quite nice but rev counter and clock numbers are too small even though there's enough space for larger charactors.
Switchgear - Not keen on horn/indicator button switch over and the set and ok buttons could work a bit more positively.
No underseat storage at all - Don't want much but I'd like at least enough room to stash a disc lock at least.

Of the faults I seem mentioned here:
Starting - no issues so far
Stalling - nope
Throttle response/fuelling - around 3000rpm following other vehicles at a constant speed you can feel a very slight surging not really a problem and most twins I've ridden are much worse. It's got less noticeable as I got used to the throttle's sensitivity. Above 3k fuelling is perfect.
Gearshift - Seems spot on to me, quickshifter seems ever so slightly slicker than the BMWs for example.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
You may,or may not, be aware that these were limited edition colours and they may have all been sold.
When i bought my B3 the Italia was sold out. Two months later they were available yet again. So, it's not really a limited edition. They produce these things when they feel like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MV have told me they aren't making anymore Italia now....Real shame as its a head turner! There's probably fewer Italias than AGO's in the UK!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts