MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one -
So I picked up my 910 last Friday and have been consumed by its presence since riding it home from Cliffs Cycle Revolution, Danbury Con. First let me say what a nice bunch of folks - and what a nice experience it was to trade and purchase a new bike from them. I traded my 04 BMW RT - we weren't getting along - although a great bike, it was just too uncomfortable for me to ride - terrible neck,shoulder and back pain that always started 30 miles into a long day in the saddle, so it had to go. And God knows I never looked back! yowser! words like 'awesome' and 'fantastic' just don't do this bike justice - I'm really happy with it, can you tell?
Honestly I think the Brutale is almost a 'perfect' vehicle having ridden just 325 miles this last weekend I have a few comments and questions. First a little background - I have been riding for 25 years, raced sidecars in Europe back in the 80's presently own 7 bikes including a gsxr1000 race bike and a 998 Duc, also a dr650 supermoto conversion and a 944Duc, a kz1000 drag bike thing and a cruiser.... I weigh 160lbs with gear on.
Suspension, first thing I did at the dealer was take out ALL the front and rear compression damping high and low. Backed off the rear preload 1 and half threads and one full turn out on the front. Much better - softer and much more compliant - none of that spine jaring action over sharp high speed bumps rides over and soaks up now as it should.
Second I raised the rear ride height to 25mm to try and balance out the front/rear tire chickenstrips - I am right at the edge of the rear and about an inch and a half off on the front 120/70 Pirelli diablo supercorse pro [190/50 on back] Didn't the 750's come with a 120/60?
The steering with the stock settings is a little 'lazy' and things have started to come together with my new settings but they are still not quite right - does and body have better numbers I can try?
I feel that a 120/70 with a 180/55 combination would be super good - any body try it yet?
Bike gets 125 miles to a tank before the light comes on 36mpg.
Putting the foot pegs to the '12' position sorted out the problem I was having with my right heel hitting the exhaust guard [a bit] and rotatating the bars gave me better ergos with the brake and clutch levers. Pitty MV 'pin' the mirror mounts into the bars so you can't independantly rotate the levers down a bit. Hummm. Just like Ducati.....
Anyway I love it and will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that.
Oh I heard that the collector/cat box is really a pipe lengthening mechanism not a true 'cat' has anybody cut one in half yet?
Airfuel? are you out there - and can I come in for a map asap!
Great to be here at last! I got an MV i'm so stokkkkedddd!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I couldn't get an 'R' so it's the standard 910 Black tank red frame.
Actually my suspension settings have made it easier to go faster 'cause I'm not getting bucked out of my seat over every bump and the whole thing is more compliant the rear is quite good the front I'll have to play with a bit more - with less preload I have lost a little front tire 'feel' but raising the rear ride height has mad the bike more responsive - I might lower the front a line or two and bring the back down otherwise everything will get a bit twichy. Can you say steering damper?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Wow great shots of your Brutale. Looks beautiful-

Be sure to get yourself in the registry and throw those pics in there :drummer: :stickpoke

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These pictures were taken with a tiny casio exilim dig camera it is so small that I can get it in the inside pocket of my Dainese racing leathers without a bulge. I take it everywhere. I hate to say it [those pics are kind of just ok] I'm a pro photographer by profession.... So I'll post something good in the future. promise.
http://exilim.casio.com/

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I have a Canon 20D, a leica digilux, an Exilim and an older Canon s40 - professionally I have a Sinar HR44 16mp Back on a Hasselblad body and a Canon 5D with all the good lenses and a Sinar 8x10 plate camera for film - I'll post some good motorcycle pictures in the gallery soon. I love Nikon stuff but Canon makes more intuative digital bodies at the moment.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Welcome! Quacker998, nice to have you here, beautiful bike and watch for admin's stick poke for the registry submission...

looking forward to seeing more pics of your bike... tomorrow I am picking up the Senna I have been waiting for since last Dec. but seeing your picture I am already lusting over hte Brutale! maybe in another year or two...

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have the same color on my Brute 750, and it's f'kn sex on wheels. Your pictures are fabulous too! My vote is for more pix from the pro.

Damn I need to get on Brutus and ride right now. I hope it's not too strange to get horny for bike.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
quacker998 said:
Personally I have a Canon 20D, a leica digilux, an Exilim and an older Canon s40 - professionally I have a Sinar HR44 16mp Back on a Hasselblad body and a Canon 5D with all the good lenses and a Sinar 8x10 plate camera for film - I'll post some good motorcycle pictures in the gallery soon. I love Nikon stuff but Canon makes more intuative digital bodies at the moment.
you have some very nice equipment
Nikon or Canon..... it's ALL about the photographer.... i'm sure you know that
i have had Nikon lenses forever.... so, it made NO sense to switch
i have more money invested in glass than i'll pay for the brutale 910R.... i'm sure you have many more times that amount invested

i'll look forward to seeing your motorcycle images

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
798 Posts
No doubt about it, black tank with red frame is the fastest.
Love that color combo. In fact, I have it myself!
Happy riding.
BTW, I also like those guys a cliffs, especially Paulo, the sales rep.
And, of course, John T. (AirFuel) the owner of DynoSolutions is right next door.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Anucci, yes John built a map for my Gixxer 1k track bike and transformed it from being almost unrideable and totally scary on the throttle to being just bloddy scary and it still wants to high side me at every available opportunity.
Cliffs people said that they have only sold 2 MV's since getting the franchise - where did yours come from motofixx? And, what have you done to it?
Anyway its nice to be here - I really feel great about this bike, Like I've fullfilled a life long ambition - finally an MV! My 998 makes feel like this as well.
When in the depths of winter both will be parked in my living room, as sculpture.

·
Registered
798 Posts
quacker998 said:
Hello Anucci, yes John built a map for my Gixxer 1k track bike and transformed it from being almost unrideable and totally scary on the throttle to being just bloddy scary and it still wants to high side me at every available opportunity.
Cliffs people said that they have only sold 2 MV's since getting the franchise - where did yours come from motofixx? And, what have you done to it?
Anyway its nice to be here - I really feel great about this bike, Like I've fullfilled a life long ambition - finally an MV! My 998 makes feel like this as well.
When in the depths of winter both will be parked in my living room, as sculpture.
Yes, I bought my MV at Motofixx. Motofixx ordered and installed the MV Corse header+midpipe. I had John install and map the PCIII.
If you look at the following thread, you can see some of the other goodies I added.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2456&page=3&pp=10

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. Finally someone talking my language.

A couple more questions if you don't mind -

How is the fuel injection? any hesitation or jerkyness at the on/off throttle point? Can you compare it to an early 916, a '01 or '05 GSXR 1000 or a Aprillia Mille? ( Bikes I have had on the track in the last couple of years)

Does the motor have a light flywheel feel? How much compression breaking? Will it need a slipper clutch for track days?

How is the ride height adjusted? Is it built into the chassis like the Duc?

Sorry for all the questions but I won't have a chance to test ride one for a few weeks.

Thanks

Steve Leukanech -- Talllahassee

BTW - Love the ergos on the Nikon - love the out of the box color on the Canon. I have too many Nikon pieces to switch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fuel injection map does leave a little to be desired in the on/off range but is only really noticeable in the first two gears - yes it needs correcting and so Pc111 and a dyno map will come after the 600mile service. Gixxers tend to be very lean low down and rich on top which gives them a 'turbo lag' feel - you roll on the throttle and then all of a sudden the power comes in at 7000rpm - this is a little different as the brute runs way rich so goes from no fuel to a lot of fuel and makes for a jerky ride that is a little difficult to modulate - that's what the clutch is for! - no really it needs fuel at zero throttle so the injectors don't completely cut off.
Fly wheel effect is almost non existant - which is really odd if you havn't riden a 2stroker for a few years, coming into a corner for the first few times click down and NO descernable slowing - makes you fast in but a bit of an 'oh shit' feeling untill you get used to it and then it's a bit like a slipper clutch effect - click down 2 or 3 gears and the back dosn't seem to lock up which is kind of nice I think - then again I haven't yet been in the upper reaches of the tach yet so things may change after 8000 rpms ??
Ride height is adjusted like the 999 and 998/748 in that there is a separate adjuster - undo 2 lock nuts and twist the middle extender to raise the rear - I changed mine from 20mm to 25mm and got an appreciable difference in turn in quickness and get to use more of the side of the front tire as I get to the edge of the rear.

A slipper clutch will always be a good idea for the track if you are not really good at blipping the throttle and have the extra $1200 to chuck at the bike.
Nice to meet you Sailor.... er Steve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts