MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I test rode a MV Agusta F4 1000 and then a Ducati 999 on the same day and the result of which is I will most likely purchase a F4 1000.

Here is my primitive review. Review

Both are great bikes I think.

Regards
Jonathan

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Always nice to hear someone else's views on the F4 thousand. I've had big V twins in the past (but not the 999) and I like them a lot, but the MV 4 is the dogs danglies IMHO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
cant read your review

Space - i cant read it either.
Can you send it or post it? I am having the same philosophical dilemma about what to buy....

·
Registered
11 Posts
did the same comparison

the base 999 is a dog compared to the mv 1000. I owned a 999s with a 54mm titanium exhaust. A much better comparison. I need to compare a 999r to the senna.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ask Tiago: You must have best of both worlds (2- and 4-zylinders). So: Get both :smoking: (...still saving money for the 999)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blog should work now for IE users, its a formatting problem from OpenOffice, IE dosen't like it.

scalpelman, The 999S is $2K AUD more expensive that than the MV F4 1000, but then again the MV is $4K more expensive than the 999. Got to stop somewhere I guess.

Jonathan.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I wrestled between the two and an outstanding deal came for a 999 came up just days before I was ready to pull the trigger on the MV which even made me think twice again. I am so glad I got the MV. Spend the 2K extra you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Buy the MV. You won't be sorry. Especially if you like getting attention!

Another negative against the 999 might be the impending drop in resales once its replacement comes out next year. The current issue of AMCN is claiming that late 07 will see the 999s replacement - an 1188,1198 or 1199cc superbike with styling inspred by the 916. Given the controversial styling of the 999 I can't see its value holding up that well as a result.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Troz

Thanks for that information, it makes sense that they would go back to the 916 type design. I agree the 999's would be worthless in that senario, or very collectable in years to come (but a gamble).

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, but comparing two bikes in a ride around the block is obviously not enough. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed, though the rides were generous given it was a Saturday, the MV ride was over 30 minutes.

I really did love driving both, but if you are going to review, you have to look for strengths and weeknesses.

Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
MV F4 1000 v 05 999R

I was lucky enough to have owned a 2005 999R last year, ( had to sale to buy a House ) had Powercommander & quick shift 14/38 gearing .
Fanstastic bike Throttle response from zero to WOT 100% perfect
Dyno'ed 143 BHP @ rear tyre std with 1500 miles. Also at same time I owed a Brutale 750, I always felt that on the Brutale I could do almost anything, just like a Supermoto. Brutale, also had to go. But this left a desire to ride a
F4 1000.

April 8 2006, pick up new 05 F4 1000 S Nero, even though this is not back to back I have put on 1500 miles in 1 month. RG3 Baffles - Powercommander - BMC filter.
The MV is faster how much I am not sure because the 999R was very deceptive, a couple of times ran it out in top gear quickly glancing at speedo thinking it would read around 150, only to notice 2 times 170 & 172 before having to brake hard for round - about. I find with the F4 I need to hang off the bike, were as the 999R I didn't have to, don't get me wrong The F4 steers fantastic especially since I raised the rear @ set static sag ft & rr, I'm just saying that its more sencitive, as for stability they are equal.
Suspension quality almost equal, I feel Ohlins on the 999r handled our UK's road dips & bumps a little better.
I will reserve throttle response judgement until I have the Powercommder custom mapped.

I wish the MV had Dry Clutch really miss the the noise, always liked the sound of classic MV 750S America models with there gear drive cams, but these Casoli mod'ed / RG3 cans are loud & everbody turns there head to look.

Sean

:grin:

Attachments

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
seanf1000 said:
I was lucky enough to have owned a 2005 999R last year, ( had to sale to buy a House ) had Powercommander & quick shift 14/38 gearing .
Fanstastic bike Throttle response from zero to WOT 100% perfect
Dyno'ed 143 BHP @ rear tyre std with 1500 miles. Also at same time I owed a Brutale 750, I always felt that on the Brutale I could do almost anything, just like a Supermoto. Brutale, also had to go. But this left a desire to ride a
F4 1000.

April 8 2006, pick up new 05 F4 1000 S Nero, even though this is not back to back I have put on 1500 miles in 1 month. RG3 Baffles - Powercommander - BMC filter.
The MV is faster how much I am not sure because the 999R was very deceptive, a couple of times ran it out in top gear quickly glancing at speedo thinking it would read around 150, only to notice 2 times 170 & 172 before having to brake hard for round - about. I find with the F4 I need to hang off the bike, were as the 999R I didn't have to, don't get me wrong The F4 steers fantastic especially since I raised the rear @ set static sag ft & rr, I'm just saying that its more sencitive, as for stability they are equal.
Suspension quality almost equal, I feel Ohlins on the 999r handled our UK's road dips & bumps a little better.
I will reserve throttle response judgement until I have the Powercommder custom mapped.

I wish the MV had Dry Clutch really miss the the noise, always liked the sound of classic MV 750S America models with there gear drive cams, but these Casoli mod'ed / RG3 cans are loud & everbody turns there head to look.

Sean

:grin:
Fantastik bikes both Sean...
welcome to our!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Horses for courses I guess, we have a 2001 F4 750, 916 Strada and 2003 749 in the garage with a few older ducati's beside them (tt2 and 650sl)

I was hell bent on selling the mv a after riding it from qld to tassie - GP and back, it was :bawling: oh the pain at anything less then frantic the MV was :eek:nthecan:

The hardest thing for me was revving the MV high enough to really enjoy it as I was so used to the spread of torque on the ducati's. :king:

I am trying to re-kindle my love for the MV after Pete's numerous posts to tell me to stop being a skirt and rev/ride the bike the way it's meant to be ridden. :bash:

Easier said then done, unless you regularly swap between the 2. I do 80% of all my riding on twins so have throttle technique, braking and handling habits that more twin friendly then in line 4.

I find riding my MV through the sunshine coast hinterland much harder work then on my 916 or the 749 untill I started riding it like my old RGV. WOW ... it all happens so fast, razor sharp and fast.

The Ducati's are the opposite, it feels slow, sounds slow, and even the handling is slower, yet the speed is deceptively quick.

Ducati's are much easier to ride at limits the road allows (not saying better, just saying easier) and the MV is much easier to ride to the limits a race track allows. Finding the limits of your ability and the limits of safety is another question all together.

The MV looks awesome, timeless like the 916. I think it's a pure in design and function as the 916. IMHO 749 and 999 have been "de-tuned" to make them more market friendly and user friendly and have really lost that edge

In the 749 v 750 debate for the road riding the 749 is easier, at pace .. well the 749 still is better. If we are talking full on pace .. well you should take it to the track and here the 750 will make much more sense, power and out perform the 749. I think the 750 asks more from the rider then 749 and this makes for creating a better rider. Same as a 750 on the track will require more then a 1000 if you want to run with the big boys. Sometimes bigger ain't better ... it's just lazier :stickpoke

At the end of the day either is only as quick as the nut holding the handlebar so buy what feels comfy or trade down to the 750cc class and get both :naughty:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts