MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't started the bike for a month+ and after changing the spark plugs, yanking the carbon canister out, new gas filter and tried to start the bike, not enough juice, bike turned slow for about two cranks and not turning now, the lights still works?:wtf:

Anyone has any suggestion?
My battery is about 1-2 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
bump start it and go for a long long ride

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you can still get the lights on, +1 to bump start.

Either find a hill or have a mate push you.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Lithium batteries should last longer than 2 years. I don't keep mine on trickle charge, put will plug them in once in a while. Either something is draining it, or it could be the battery, not all Lithium batteries are of equal quality. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about bump starting it but what if it doesn't start, I live on a hill and downhill is easy but if it doesn't start I can't push it uphill.

Done that once with an older bike and got left down there for a long walk home.

I got to find me a charger!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I thought about bump starting it but what if it doesn't start, I live on a hill and downhill is easy but if it doesn't start I can't push it uphill.

Done that once with an older bike and got left down there for a long walk home.

I got to find me a charger!
If you have a Lithium battery on there, for a quick fix, it would be okay to use a car battery to charge the Li cell's, battery on battery, not jump starting from car to bike.
It does work.
Make sure you do not mix up the connections.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told that I could not use a car battery charger less than a 5amp does this still applies?

My charger is a regular car battery charger, I have not checked if it is 5amp or more, and it does have a float mode.

It is sold by "Sears Roebuck".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Donsy,

This was great info, it answered my questions and it is very straight forward.

Thanks for the great help, tomorrow I am purchasing a new charger.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok! latest report, my battery wasn't dead, something to do with "wiring or electronic".
I've talked to a person from speedcell and he told me all about recharging it, and something simple that I did not think about, put a volt meter and read the darn thing- checked and it was 13.34 so the battery is good, he said that if the voltage falls below 10.5 the battery is a goner, otherwise it can be charged with a 3amp (the best tested according to him) and make sure is set to no more than 14.4volts, it can be charged with regular chargers with more amperage but have to monitor so it will not exceed 14.4amp and with a charger that does "not have desulfier" or trickle charger.

I have a quick connector extension on the original wires from the bike hooked with bolt and nuts, and he said that is not the optimum because it the best to use one straight wire from the solenoid to the battery-my next project.

But after changing my fuel filter, removing the carbon canister and new spark plugs my bike still not running right, very frustrating.:wtf:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I have a quick connector extension on the original wires from the bike hooked with bolt and nuts
That is a sure way of butchering things.

But after changing my fuel filter, removing the carbon canister and new spark plugs my bike still not running right, very frustrating.:wtf:
So is it running now or not running right ?
Have a bit of a read through the Maint section mate, these bikes will not try and start if the voltage drop below 12.8V on start-up, so even if you have 13.8V, and the battery is not properly charged to allow good cranking Amperage, it will not start.
Li batteries usually recover well, so try to start it, wait a minute and try again, but only after you have at least tried to charge the battery again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike starts, and runs, took for test ride 4miles and had to come back because it still runs like on a 3 cylinder-first it rode for about 2 miles fine but suddenly it started to run like on a 3 cylinder.
So I turned around and headed back and I just parked, will take a look on the wiring, it seems to me something electrical.:confused:

Anyone has any idea?

2005 F4- 11k miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts