MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try today to open my seat compartment, but the key just turn and it doesn't release it the cover, what's the best way to fix that situation. I know I need to go a mechanic's training. Thanks for any help for this newB.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I assume you have a Gen 1 F4. Push down lightly on the rear of the tail section and turn the key at the same time. I took the seat lock off my bike and just pull the cable by the little tab. Now I don't have to worry about bending the key

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
If you look at the keylock for your F4 (and that is an assumption made by your avatar) you can reach behind it with your finger and find the cable that runs to the rear lock post. While pushing down on the rear-most part of your seat, pull the cable until the seat unlocks.

F4 1000 Seat Lock.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
After you have released the seat, adjust the barrel adjuster at the latch to remove slack.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I assume you have a Gen 1 F4. . . Now I don't have to worry about bending the key
I fell into this trap as a newbie to MV. Obviously aware to not exert too much pressure on the key, but then realised I ought to add some pressure to help the seat.

No such issue on my Hondas:grin2::grin2: Woops, think I'd better go now>:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Key not open the seat compartment.

Thanks SilentService, that's the picture I was looking for, much appreciated, again.

If you look at the keylock for your F4 (and that is an assumption made by your avatar) you can reach behind it with your finger and find the cable that runs to the rear lock post. While pushing down on the rear-most part of your seat, pull the cable until the seat unlocks.

View attachment 436490

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
Yes. In that picture, you can see the connection point to the keylock. You should also check that nut is snug holding the lock barrel.

Did you get your tail open?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No so far, I need to have a way to grab the cable and tab with locking pliers, and find a find a way to pull with enough force, right now I'm doing it by my self but a friend is coming tomorrow and help, the wife is no able to help.

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
No so far, I need to have a way to grab the cable and tab with locking pliers, and find a find a way to pull with enough force, right now I'm doing it by my self but a friend is coming tomorrow and help, the wife is no able to help.

You should not have to do that. If you are on the left side of the bike, then with your left hand reach under the lock barrel to find the bare cable with your index finger, using your right hand, push down on the center of your tail section near the tail light, now pull the cable with your finger until the latch releases.

DSCN5712rc.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
I bet the cable outer section has jumped out of the bit under the seat where the latch is.
Mine did this last Saturday and I had to get nasty with a big screwdriver under the cowl whilst twisting it up.
It’s made of crappy plastic that allows the cable outer to jump out the top if adjusted wrong.
I was not amused as I was in the process of removing the junk data tool alarm that had been fitted

This seems a bit extreme. I have had that "crappy plastic" bit break and I was still able to unlock the tail using my method. Even were I not able to do it that way, a simple coat-hanger hook can be slipped in between the heat shield and the tail and the cable can be hooked and pulled to release the latch.

@flyboyaviator: Is your bike Mono or bi - posto?

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
?

You should not have to do that. If you are on the left side of the bike, then with your left hand reach under the lock barrel to find the bare cable with your index finger, using your right hand, push down on the center of your tail section near the tail light, now pull the cable with your finger until the latch releases.

View attachment 437242
Chuck;
Your chain looks a little tight.......

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
The back cover is open now, I needed to purchase a very small locking pliers, I was able to pull the cable. BTW I was lucky to find the Muzzy fan blades, and replaced then quick, just look at the blades that were replaced.
Wow,worst blades I have seen.I wish someone would make the Muzzy fan blades.The demand is there.:wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts