MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I say? I'm very disappointed. The 910R is SOOOOO slow. It took me a whole 3 hours longer than it normally does to ride home. I think the problem is mainly with the steering. It took me all over the place - up the freeway, along the beach, through some twisty bits. It had a mind of its own! :)

OK - here's my attempt to tell you things that I'm sure you already know...

Two things made today perfect - the first was picking up the bike. I have to say that the guys at Rick Gill's really looked after me. I have it on good authority that they worked back last night just to get the bike ready for me to pick up today - just because it's my birthday tomorrow. Thanks Michael, Rowan, and Cody! I hope by now they are well and truly drunk on the many litres of alcohol I left them!

The second perfect thing was the weather. It's about 25C here (around 80F), and there isn't a cloud in the sky. What a fantastic day for riding.

Everywhere I went, the sound of the machine made people look up to see what it was. I don't think I've ever nodded at so many fellow riders before either. I don't know what the stock exhaust sounds like, but the special 910R system sounds fantastic. I haven't seen one with 'Brutale' on the top and 'MV Corse' on the bottom on any of the stock pix I've seen, and it certainly added something special.

Things I have learned in the last 6 hours:

1. The mirrors are obviously only there for legal requirements.
2. I didn't know I could smile so much.
3. Even with taking it easy(ish), the power and response are fantastic.
4. The gearbox is making me look like a complete idiot at the moment. I can't change smoothly at all. Any hints?
5. After feeling the rubber, I'd say that I'll be changing hoops every 500km or so!
6. In spite of all the negative comments in other posts, I don't have a problem with the seat at all. I probably wouldn't like to spend 12 hours on it, but that applies to any bike. My tip to you - get a fat arse like mine! :)
7. There's quite a bit of vibration coming through the throttle - enough to make my hand go numb. Is that normal?
8. I experienced the dreaded random stalling - about 2km from the shop. No problems since then though.
9. My daughter thinks it's cool, and doesn't mind being seen on the back of it!
10. My son actually stopped playing his Wii for at least half an hour when I got it home. I think that says more than just about anything!

This has been a dream come true for me. I fell in love with this bike from the moment I saw the first photo when the original was released. I think I would have bought it even if I had to compromise on some things - but as it turns out, I don't. It 'fits' me perfectly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
I just recently picked mine up also and i must say that i agree completely....
The bike is everything i hoped for and more, although i havent felt the vibration that everybody talks about.
As far as cool goes........i dont think it gets much better than this.
Congrats again.

P.S. did i mention i hate you.......80 degrees, its like 40 and raining here,
in the word of nepolean.........LUCCKKKYYYY!!!!!!

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GL 21 - I'll try and send some warmth your way. Actually, why don't you just take a holiday down under?! :)

Also - just to add a little more context - I've been stuck on a VTR250 for ages now (it's a long story - don't ask), so you can imagine why my smiles might be just a little bigger than other people's! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
That actually sounds like a fabulous idea.......but i just paid an assload in shipping costs to bring the bike from San fran to Germany.....
i dont think i need to torture her anymore by crating her up again....

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GL 21 said:
Here are some pics from when i picked it up, i couldnt even wait to get it home to ride the damn thing.
Boy - that does look cold. Either that or you have the rare 2-stroke engine... :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congratulations!!!!

Are those the stock rims? Don't the R's get the black Brembo SL's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats. I also bought the bike 'from the photo'.

The gear change might be the position of the changer. you get a small amount of adjustment on the end of the lever. This is a subject in another thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its not an R, its a Gladio with the marachesini's. and yes it was cold that day.
It had been sitting for a while also so there was some moisture to burn out of the pipes.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
john348 said:
Congrats. I also bought the bike 'from the photo'.

The gear change might be the position of the changer. you get a small amount of adjustment on the end of the lever. This is a subject in another thread.
Thanks - I'll do a search, although I think it's more to do with my clutch-craft... :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
John, my friend
i am SO happy for you
your love affair with your Brutale is really only beginning

the shifting will become more "natural" to you, the more time you spend in her saddle

the buzzing in the throttle can be decreased somewhat by removing the outside throttle spring..... so easy to do (even I did it...... thanks James C)
so that you won't have to hold on so tight (MV throttle return springs are SO STRONG... stronger than most any other bike)

the sound is SO addicting..... and that only gets WORSE
the looks from others will increase

this is truly one of the most amazing bikes ever created and i'm honored to have one as well

i am TRULY happy for you, John
please continue to entertain us with your tales of glee.... they are MUCH appreciated

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
As Christmas gifts to yourself go, I can't think of much better. :) Have lots of fun, take lots of photos and I hope you're carbon fibre addicition doesn't get as bad as mine. :laughing:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Thanks - I'll do a search, although I think it's more to do with my clutch-craft... :)
Try pulling the clutch lever only about half way in when shifting. Only needs to go all the way when you are stopped. Maybe you already know this but i thought it's worth mentioning. With the lack of flywheel weight on the MV's, pulling the clutch lever all the way in and releasing will allow the rpm to drop too much between gears.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Congrats!!! The bike will find new ways for you to fall in love with it over and over again every day. I had the same problem with the shifter on my way home from the dealer. The minute I adjusted the end lever at home I haven't had a problem since with shifting. You now get to adjust your baby to fit you in every way :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Fantastic write up. Congrats!!!
Makes me want to hop on and ride today, even though it is below 30F. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. About smooth shifting, as others have mentioned, you don't need to pull the clutch in all the way, and also try preloading the shifter and perform clutchless upshifts. It's just snickity, snick, smooth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Koop said:
Try pulling the clutch lever only about half way in when shifting. Only needs to go all the way when you are stopped. Maybe you already know this but i thought it's worth mentioning. With the lack of flywheel weight on the MV's, pulling the clutch lever all the way in and releasing will allow the rpm to drop too much between gears.
I agree with this comment, clutch in half way and shift rapidly. Once you catch on the Brutale shifts extremely smooth.

75 degrees here in Arizona. Just had 600 mile maintenance. Break in period is over for me. I have a desert black top road picked out. Time to open her up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Congratulations John and thanks for the post
As you already know, you have purchased a beautiful bike (motorcycle art at its finest). :smoking:

Stay well and ride safe. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts