MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you are looking to buy a motorcycle, other than brand new, when you look at classified ads, you can interpret some of the phrases used and discount that particular offering before bothering to go and have a look. Confused?? :jsm: You will soon see what I mean, here are a few examples. :)

Phrase : Would make good restoration project

Meaning: Totally fu**ed

Phrase: In need of a little work

Phrase: Has been stored for the last 5 years

Meaning: Probably in a shed with a leaking roof

Phrase: Has light accident damage, easy repair

Phrase: Rare and collectable

Meaning: Only idiots with more money than sense need apply

Phrase: Good runner

Phrase: Genuine reason for sale

Meaning: Wife pregnant or bike totally fu**ed or both

Phrase: One owner from new

Meaning: Probably Evel Kneivel

I'm sure you've all got a few of your own to add to my list!! :blah:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
:laughing: I'm house shopping now and seems realtors' favorite phrase is "needs some tlc", meaning it's a huge money pit, or pracitically a total loss. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
fazer6 said:
:laughing: I'm house shopping now and seems realtors' favorite phrase is "needs some tlc", meaning it's a huge money pit, or pracitically a total loss. :laughing:
my favorite was when my buddy was selling his house.....

accepted a offer and sold (at the encouragment of realtor that is was a buyer's market) for less than he had planned.

ONE week later..

made offer on a house, more than he wanted to spend (at the ecouragement of the same realtor, who said it was a "seller's market")

No problem with realtors, but some industry ads tout them as being there for the home buyer or seller and they love and want to help you.....bottom line is they are just trying to turn the house as quickly as possible (which is their job, and thats fine) but dont try to paint them as anything other than a salesperson on commission.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My favorite "Laid down once on the track, no damage to frame, Left Fairing needs to be changed" - means a money pit

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Went to see "1974 750/4 Honda" in original condition........................was fu**ed :jsm:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mikef4uk said:
Went to see "1974 750/4 Honda" in original condition........................was fu**ed :jsm:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :moped: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Went to look at a hot-rodded '33 Ford 5-window coupe. Quite a drive, but the owner promised it was in "clean and in great shape" and hadn't been driven in a while since it had been "stored for several years". It had been stored all right, in a chicken coupe that was filled with chickens. The hood was open, the dual quads had no air cleaner and the chickens had found the open carbs to be quite inviting. I imagine that each and every one of them had squatted above the carbs many times - doing one of the things chickens do best. They had nested in the glove compartment, in the back seat, shredded the upholstery...

Oh, yeah. It was in great shape. If you wanted to start a fertilizer business.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
WOW! New meaning to the phrase "chicken stripes" A friend of mine drove a long way to see a car and originated my favorite "where`s the one you told me about over the phone?"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Reminds me of the CARFAX ads - some of them are classic!! Including the one in which a car is burnt to a crisp and the owner posts the comment on his sale - "New paint job"

·
Registered
21 Posts
There were a couple of "infamous" phrases that stick out in my mind from when I worked at the motorcycle shop. Our consignment program brought in some real characters. We had one fellow who brought in his late 70's Kawasaki for a repair estimate. It had probably been sitting out in his uncle Louie's shed for the past 15 years. When he found out how much it was going to cost, he decided he wanted to just sell it to us instead...for around $2k!! My manager walked him out into the parking lot next to the dumpster and told him:

"I'll tell you what, for 25 bucks I'll help throw it in this dumpster!"

What a classic!

One more honorable mention: We always had guys calling up over the phone wanting to negotiate prices on four wheelers, bikes etc. The Polaris demographic is the worst of the bunch. Back in the day, Polaris would give a dealership to just about anyone. In Utah, we had a bunch of farmers that would open a dealership, then trade horses, hay, lumber whatever for a quad. This created very low resale, and very low margins on new quads. A lot of guys use the word "dicker" when it comes to negotiating price. "I see the retail on that there Honda is $5,999. Will you guys dicker on that?"

Well, we had a real hot head on the phone wanting a negotiate on a Polaris quad. After 15 minutes of listening to his bullshit, I heard the manager say: "You want us to dicker huh? I'll tell you what, you bring your wife in and we'll dicker!"

·
Registered
200 Posts
There's an MV for sale right now on ebay and part of the ad says (and I quote):

"LOW MILES coz I WAS BUSY 2 RIDE ON IT"

Ummm...I don't even know what that translates to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mystoxup said:
There were a couple of "infamous" phrases that stick out in my mind from when I worked at the motorcycle shop. Our consignment program brought in some real characters. We had one fellow who brought in his late 70's Kawasaki for a repair estimate. It had probably been sitting out in his uncle Louie's shed for the past 15 years. When he found out how much it was going to cost, he decided he wanted to just sell it to us instead...for around $2k!! My manager walked him out into the parking lot next to the dumpster and told him:

"I'll tell you what, for 25 bucks I'll help throw it in this dumpster!"

What a classic!

One more honorable mention: We always had guys calling up over the phone wanting to negotiate prices on four wheelers, bikes etc. The Polaris demographic is the worst of the bunch. Back in the day, Polaris would give a dealership to just about anyone. In Utah, we had a bunch of farmers that would open a dealership, then trade horses, hay, lumber whatever for a quad. This created very low resale, and very low margins on new quads. A lot of guys use the word "dicker" when it comes to negotiating price. "I see the retail on that there Honda is $5,999. Will you guys dicker on that?"

Well, we had a real hot head on the phone wanting a negotiate on a Polaris quad. After 15 minutes of listening to his bullshit, I heard the manager say: "You want us to dicker huh? I'll tell you what, you bring your wife in and we'll dicker!"
LOL...that's f**kin funny!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts