MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow - what a freak accident. So glad to hear that you are ok and that your gear did its job.

Best of luck with putting the bike back together.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Less than 2 weeks ago, I was the proud owner of a mint 2008 312R with 3500 miles. My first sportbike and my first MV.

I'll be totally honest. The 30 mile ride home, a portion in rush hour traffic, the rest on rural twisty backroads, was the most visceral, aural, exhilerating and terrifying motorcycle experience I've ever had since I first swiped the keys to my roomate's GPZ1100 some twenty five plus years ago and taught myself to ride.

I came not even close to pushing the MV to its potential, never kissing the redline limit or unleashing a quarter of the 183 horses. Exactly ten minutes into the ride home, still in urban Seattle and with the heat rising off the bike, I wondered immediately if I had just made a big mistake. The ergos of the bike were all wrong, my legs and knees and wrists felt contorted as if I was in some kind of medieval rack where they place people who haven't paid taxes to the crown.

It wasn't until I hit the freeway and had a chance to crack her open just a bit, enough to hear those four Arrow trumpets wail like an F1 Ferrari, that I started to smile. Hitting the rural twisties, it felt incredibly odd and unfamiliar to me, same way I felt when I tried to follow a buddy up a muddy clay rutted hill after I brought my Husqvarna enduro out to play in the dirt for the first time. I've been riding a big flat wide handle-barred KTM, and pushing the MV around with my body felt foreign. I probably looked like a total squid (only a well-ATGATT'ed one) taking corners at ridiculously slow speeds. The Husky took me a while to get familiar and comfortable and so will the MV.

Hitting the last few miles to my house, I chanced to pass a few cars and cracked open the throttle cautiously, then a bit more (still nowhere near this beast's limits). That crazy wail began filling up my ear canals and its shriek bouncing off the cars, causing the drivers to wonder where in the hell a Ferrari had suddenly appeared out of thin air.

This bike was twelve kinds of wicked.

By the time I got home, I had become one with the pain in my lower back and wrist, but twisting that throttle past 5k rpm was like pushing a morphine button after surgery...the pain just seemed to fade away.

Less than 48 hours later, the 312R was lying on its side on the freeway.

The incident was caused when an ambulance ahead of me drifted onto the shoulder and a very large object shot out from its rear wheels directly into my front tire, blowing the tire and bending the rim back, locking it against the caliper (thereby locking the wheel), and slamming me on the highway for a nifty slide at 60 mph in heavy traffic.

Thanks to the gods shining on me, other motorists making quick and smart decisions, and my decision to be wearing excellent Motoport gear, I limped away from the crash, nothing broken. The 312R was torn up on the right side where it slid, but thankfully no tumbling. I was happy to emerge relatively ok, all things considered, but really really bummed about the mint 312R now bloodied.

Because I sincerely believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, this week I located and purchased a mint 2007 F41000R, with 1350 miles, less than ten miles from where I bought the 312R. I also bought back the 312R, which my insurance totaled.

The 312R is absolutely rebuildable. The frame was ground down a bit on the right side, but not dented or bent. The rest of the plastics (nose, rear, mirrors) suffered predictable rash. The forks look fine, though the bottom features some nice rash.

To get it ship shape as a track bike, the 312R needs:

1. New front rim/tire
2. Right side fairing
3. windshield (cracked)
4. front brake lever
5. rear brake pedal

The question is really what to do with it. I can keep it as a parts bike, as nearly everything is transferable. Or I can add those 5 items, and now I've got a track bike/beater that I needn't worry about crashing.

I had a crazy thought to build it back as a Brutale style naked bike - a true canyon hooligan, with a more upright bar, and leaving the side fairings off, but fitting some sliders, or adding cheap track fairings with a matte-black finish. But the main obstacle seems to be locating a triple clamp, plus new cables, that would accommodate a wider flat bar like the brutale has.

Would appreciate all thoughts about the options and task ahead.

Hopefully these pix will show:

The 312r pre-crash (moment of silence):

The bent wheel:

The replacement F1000R

Wow! What a story...
That sucks, but the most important thing is that you got away "ok".
My first F4 only lasted about two weeks too.... :ahhh:
Heal up fully and put that 312R up and running again.
The only good part is that now you have two F4's :naughty:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A recent trip to Escondido netted me a new windshield and RH OEM fairing! Thanks Moto Forza! And I have a source for race fairings in case...

So other than small rash on the nose, mirror and tail, which can be addressed by the body shop, and the rashed up frame, everything is ready for the rebuild. Just have to find time.

Feeling much better now too, though I can't seem to shake a recurring shoulder stiffness and cramp. More PT might fix this.

Ordered up a new Motoport suit, and got the crashed one repaired.

Can't wait to get the 312 on the road. I took the 1000R out for a quick spin, it felt just great. That sound.... like morphine for the ears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Joe, but was able to score a pair of ultra lights in the states.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally found time to pull the front wheel. It was tough, the bent wheel was almost folded up around the caliper. Removed the caliper bolts, then the right side rotor, and finally was able to get it loose. Going to wait a few days till the weather improves and take it out for low speed ride around the hood to see if she's wiggly.

I reused the rotor bolts but added Loctite. Should I have gotten new ones?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, the 07 is gone, traded in on a Brutale 1090 RR.

Thanks to all the great help here, I've got the 312R back in action. I even scored a red powder coated frame from an 07 F4 in mint condition. It looks like the frame replacement is quite the chore, so maybe that will wait for a while. The 312's frame is usable but a bit ugly.

I'll keep the 312's frame with the bike if I do swap for the red frame - the 312 frame can be repaired and I suspect twenty years from now if these bikes ever become highly collectible, someone will want the original frame.

That just leaves the mirror, nose, and rear cowl with some light rash, easily repainted.

But the dilemma that made me sell the 07 1000R for a Brutale remains - I love the bike but it is painful for me to ride for more than an hour. I don't like keeping bikes just to collect them - would rather ride them. It would be fun as a track bike, though, if I ever decide to track it.

I've got about $5.5k into it with the buyback and all the replaced parts. What would you do - keep it or sell it? What's a rebuilt 312R with a salvage title worth?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Davehg,
Funny I just found this thread, I was at Bellevue Kawasaki yesterday picking up my new radiator cap and some new well nuts was talking to the parts guy telling him I might upgrade my bike one of these days and he said hey you got to see this, we just took this 07 in on trade, the guy just traded it on a brutale 1090 RR

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think they will ask $11k or so but will take less. They originally sold the bike to a co-worker, who put all of 1400 miles on it and rarely rode it - he got unmarried and I picked the bike up from him after my crash, thinking I wanted a clean F4. I rode it all of maybe 10 miles before it became clear that two identical looking F4's were not what I wanted or needed.

The Brutale RR is exactly what I wanted - so much easier to ride and has all the basic MV goodness, plus traction control and ABS.

I don't like to keep bikes that I just collect or look at - so that leaves me with questions about keeping the 312R. I can't bear to part it out - even though that is the financially rewarding path. If I can put the new frame on it for not a lot, that leaves just minor paint to worry about.

I'll PM you as I am just down the valley from you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I scored a new mirror, and Andrew's powder coated red frame. It's quite a project to replace the frame, that may have to wait a while. Loving the new Brutale for sure, and on the fence about keeping the 312R. In truth, it's unlikely to get ridden much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, I'm getting more and more off the fence about keeping the 312R. The experience riding the Brutale has me thinking the 312R is just not for me. I'm not riding it, now with the Brutale. And truthfully, I've got my eye on a Metisse 8v café, a 130 hp hand built bike made in the UK by a friend, Gerry Lisi. Here's the Metisse:

To make way for the Metisse, I'd likely sell the two bikes I never really ride - a mint 56 Matchless café racer, and the 312R.

Question is - sell the 312R intact, or part it out? Other than the frame and easily-repainted nose/tail, it is great condition, but with a salvage title. What's it worth intact vs. parted out? I really can't bring myself to selling it in bits when it otherwise fine.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well, I'm getting more and more off the fence about keeping the 312R. The experience riding the Brutale has me thinking the 312R is just not for me. I'm not riding it, now with the Brutale. And truthfully, I've got my eye on a Metisse 8v café, a 130 hp hand built bike made in the UK by a friend, Gerry Lisi. Here's the Metisse:

To make way for the Metisse, I'd likely sell the two bikes I never really ride - a mint 56 Matchless café racer, and the 312R.

Question is - sell the 312R intact, or part it out? Other than the frame and easily-repainted nose/tail, it is great condition, but with a salvage title. What's it worth intact vs. parted out? I really can't bring myself to selling it in bits when it otherwise fine.
Wow, that's a really pretty bike!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Metisse is built on a hand-welded, nickel plated Rickman frame that enables oil to circulate in the front tubes for engine cooling. The engine is of Metisse' own design and manufacture - a parallel twin that has the smoothness like a triple and the torque of a twin. Sounds and looks amazing and has brembo bits, six speed transmission, and fuel injection.

I rode the slightly detuned engine in their Scrambler model - and was floored how smooth and effortless it was. That engine is a real honey of a motor. Bike weighs a tick or so over 400lbs.

But back to the question, what's the 312R likely worth? Part or sell intact?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I know of at least one bloke that would take the 312 motor from you. It's worth parting the bike out if you've had it up for sale with no real takers, but only after you've tried.
Parting it out is time consuming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Long time since I last updated. Sold the 312R to a workmate who wanted a track bike he could ride without worrying about crashing it. Essentially I broke even. Could’ve done well parting the bike out, but why do that to a restorable and somewhat rare model? Selling it gave me funds to buy the Metisse Desert Racer, a gorgeous bike if ever there was.

The Brutale was the MV I should have purchased first, and I’ve loved riding it, over 3k miles so far, which may sound like very little but there’s seven bikes in my herd, and they’ve been competing with a few air cooled vintage cars.

Thanks to all who helped me find my way back.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts