MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've heard enough about MY 2010 tank problems to know that it's a frequent warranty issue -- mines been bulging for a while, my dealer has been trying to get me a replacement --

Just heard from MV USA -- that they wont replace unless its leaking.

Motorcycle art my ass.

Any ideas on how to escalate this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
So sorry to hear your problem.

Just wondering is there any ethanol free gasoline in USA? I heard the caused of tank expanding is Ethanol. It will keep repeating the problem if there is no ethanol-free gas.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
don't worry it's an MV:wtf:

I seriously don't know why we the public tolerate this crap just to have an exclusive brand. Pay more...get less...makes no sense. Sorry to hear. That is why I won't buy a bike with a plastic gas tank ever again. Too much of a PITA if you don't have easy access to ethanol free fuel.

You would think MV would pay attention to what has happened with the ducati and aprilia tanks seeing as how this is a problem that has been apparent since before the MY10+ bikes came out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
So sorry to hear your problem.

Just wondering is there any ethanol free gasoline in USA? I heard the caused of tank expanding is Ethanol. It will keep repeating the problem if there is no ethanol-free gas.
There is, just hard to source depending on the state and city you live in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Alcohol bulge?

Corn is for food and booze not fuel though booze has fueled a great many problems throughout history including this one. I have two 1098 Ducatis that have the same issue with tank swelling. Crappy choice of material for a fuel tank being sold in a country that uses ethanol in their gasoline. The problem is this is not secret that there is a non-compatibility issue so why do they do it? I would have been happy to have paid a little more for an aluminum tank right off the get go and not have this issue to deal with all on my dime. A new plastic tank I am sure is not cheap so let the customer pay the difference in the cost and call it good. Aluminum tanks for the Ducatis run $2,000.00 US, I have not checked on the MVs yet.
I am lucky though in that I have a filling station close by that has 100% fossil fuel sans the Jack Daniels. This does put me in a shallow orbit around this one station however. My riding fits with this and if I do want to go for a longer trip I have a 999r with a steel tank.
Fuel at the track is 100% gasoline though it is more expensive but so is the whole track experience so spending another ten bucks for fuel is not that big of a deal for me. Riding on the street these days has really lost it's appeal for me. The track is kicking my ass because of my age of 62 so the street might be my only choice in the future. I need to get my fat ass in better shape if I want to continue doing track days and my dream of racing. I have a feeling this summer is going to be my last chance for that one to come true unless my order for testosterone pills does what they say it does. :) That may bring up a completely different problem of trying to ride with a raging hard on.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've asked in Europe for this issue...will see.
I'm owner F4 10+ and all it's OK, and I've not heard nothing about in others owners in Spain or Italy...I'll will ask in UK.

Remembering one pic:
uploadfromtaptalk1337149497005.jpg

But this issue is known, it's located in list problems F4 10+.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45207
People really don't know what is the cause if it's only happen in USA.
Ones are sure is etanol...anothers not....

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's my fuel tank in the picture.
It almost doesn't fit on the bike anymore. Totally have to force it on using some leverage to get the tank mount bolts to line-up and that's split the rubber grommet.
A new "PLASTIC" tank from MV is $2240.00 What a joke.
I can get an Aluminum Tank handmade for the same price, and that would take about 4-6 months.
MV is pretending that there isn't a problem. I'm not impressed.
Some Chemist or Rocket-Scientest type might do well to come-up with a solution that counter-acts the damage to the plastic, like drying it out, so it shrinks back to the Original Size, but that sounds like MAGIC, to me, when I Type it.
This is really Not-Acceptable on a $20,000 Motorcycle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not Sure?

People really don't know what is the cause if it's only happen in USA.
Ones are sure is etanol...anothers not....
Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
It's the Ethanol. It separates and seeps into the plastic, causing the plactic to react unfavorably. This seems to be accelerated in Humid conditions. (like summer, in Georgia).
I'd bet my left nut on it.
What else would it be caused by? (don't even bother).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The issue is that they used to warranty replace these... now they don't which sucks @ss. so I guess anyone with a MY2010 and newer bike we just fend for ourselves.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket carbon tank?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It is no use to depends on warranty, if it keeps repeating. No peace on mind.

Hmmm, i hope there is someone who will makes an almunium tank for MV

BTW, does carbon safe with Ethanol?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Tank

Correction: The problem is the tank, not the fuel.

If the original statement was true, MV (Aprila, Ducati) would have never replaced failed tanks under warranty. The one thing we all have going for us is that MV did replace prior tanks under warranty. So, the precedence has been set. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so keep making noise.

Here in Europe no problems at all. The problem is not the tank but the fuel.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is no use to depends on warranty, if it keeps repeating. No peace on mind.
MV Agusta should take responsibility for their Plastic tank supplier, who had to have know the issues with the ethanol, because this problem has surfaced before in the U.S. with other manufactures who do warranty their mistakes.

A: U.S. market bikes should have then come with a warning label to not use Ethanol Fuel in their bikes. (without first coating the inside of the tank).

or B: MV should have coated all the Plastic tanks bound for the U.S. before leaving the factory.

If they don't take responsibility for this problem, I tend to regard them as a crooks.

What possible excuse could they have, not to replace it?

Replace mine one time, and I'd use one of the Coatings available before
I ever put any fuel in it, at my own expense.

I would have done this in the first place, If I'd know about the possible problem, as a consumer, it's their responsibility to give this warning, just look at all the other warning stickers that come standard on the bike.:banghead::blah::banghead:

·
Registered
860 Posts
MV Agusta should take responsibility for their Plastic tank supplier, who had to have know the issues with the ethanol, because this problem has surfaced before in the U.S. with other manufactures who do warranty their mistakes.

A: U.S. market bikes should have then come with a warning label to not use Ethanol Fuel in their bikes. (without first coating the inside of the tank).

or B: MV should have coated all the Plastic tanks bound for the U.S. before leaving the factory.

If they don't take responsibility for this problem, I tend to regard them as a crooks.

What possible excuse could they have, not to replace it?

Replace mine one time, and I'd use one of the Coatings available before
I ever put any fuel in it, at my own expense.

I would have done this in the first place, If I'd know about the possible problem, as a consumer, it's their responsibility to give this warning, just look at all the other warning stickers that come standard on the bike.:banghead::blah::banghead:
+10000
.....well in Europe (UK) , people said this:

First said:
The tanks problem is with the plastic made by acerbis, it has a problem with ethanol in fuel.
The same as Ducati experienced on the 1098/1198 and others recently.
We do not have the problem here in the uk yet as we still have very low level of ethanol in the fuel,
but that is changing along with the rest of the world.
MV in USA are familiar with the problem as they have had more ethanol than Europe for a few years.
The factory say they are working on a solution, Ducati stopped making plastic tanks!

After said (the same):

I have been doing some reserch on this issue, it is not just a problem for plastic tanks, steel tanks are suffering.
The actual answer is a little more than just blaming the ethanol being added to fuel.
The ethanol is NOT reacting with the plastic, it is the water that the ethanol absorbs.
The plastic used absorbs water, when in contact with it over long periods of time, it then slowly expands.
Steel tanks will rust out in the old fashioned way. The standard advice of toping off the tank for long
term storage is the last thing you should do. These days I would recomend draining it fully, drying
and keeping it away from damp air.
The problem is the petrol and ethanol seperates over time, the ethanol then absorbs water and as
it is then denser than the petrol it will sit in the bottom of your tank. So the problem grows over time, especialy if you
top off your tank on a regular bassis. Most people are aware of how quickly fuel can go "off" these days.
What is hapening is the petrol is fine, but it's at the top of your tank, the water/ethanol mix is at the bottom and
getting into your fueling system.
I can understand manufacturers not wanting to discuss in public why their fuel tanks can't cope with water, their
credibility is going to be questioned if they tell customers the full story.

Interesting !!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts