MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my new F4 1000R last Friday, but didn’t get to ride her until Sunday (due to rain in NY).

Confession. This is my first sport bike (never even have been on a sport bike) so I was very apprehensive on riding this thing. Let’s face it, there are not many “beginner” Italian sport bike choices out there and I just fell in love with the F4 the moment I saw her (although I had also considered the Duc1098). My first sport bike HAD to be Italian (I’m Italian – born in Torino, so…), besides I feel my 6 year Harley experience gave me enough confidence to handle this baby. (Full blown 1,450cc Hog was my very first bike ever – never crashed or dropped her – knock on wood.)

First impression upon starting her – the F4 is sooooo quiet. Granted, my other bike is LOUD – but damn. My little 4 year old hates/cries when I turn on the Harley, but she didn’t seem to mind the MV one bit – hehe. Are all stock exhausts this quiet?

Anyway, first ride was just around my community as I was still just getting to know her and my objective was not crashing. Mission accomplished. Next, was time to get her on a real road. As I’m still waiting for my full face Arai, I had to wear my Harley helmet (not a full face) – so u can imagine how idiotic I looked – hehe. Luckily, most people attention was on the bike and boy did it get looks!!

Doing my best Valentino Rossi impression, I fearlessly took it up to about 60mph (3rd gear) as I’m following the recommended “break-in” procedure and keeping the tach below 6,000 rpm for the first 300 miles. The bike handles flawlessly and I couldn’t believe how easy it was to ride this thing – so tame. This is the fastest production 1,000cc bike ever? A definite confidence builder. However, I did get the feeling there is a can of whoop-ass just waiting to unleash on me past the 6000 rpm mark. We shall see…

As I mentioned in my first post, I had also considered the Duc1098, but the F4 was the choice for me. A bit more expensive, but it’s been around a few more years (fewer bugs??), it looks great (like a show piece) and has unbelievable build quality. Started on a dime, no stalls (sorry my Duc1098 brothers – couldn’t take a chance with a bike that stalls), no leaking coolant - just a perfect Italian machine (yes, there is such a thing).

The seat does get a bit warm, but no problems here. It’s always a bit cooler up in Putnam, NY so the warmth was very appreciated – no need to buy a heated seat that’s for sure.

The only problemo? Can’t wait to ride her again!! Overall, the best purchase I have ever made. Will never sell her.

Cheers.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
just remember your limits..... the F4 will break every law known to man..... and bones are included too.... be careful and don't forget whats under your legs....(easy to remember huh?)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Wooooooohooooooooo!!! :f4:
Congrats and nice choice :smoking:
I just recently opted for an F4 over the 1098 too.

Now enjoy the ride but take it easy at first because and F4 can bite much harder than any HD if you over do it. :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Also, remember the seat height is much taller than a Harley and since you're leaned farther forward, you may not have as much leverage at slow speeds -not to mention a very large turning radius. So, just be careful when manuvering a slow speeds.

Just FYI, a replacement side panel is around $750 (self experience). Clutch/Break levers are around $120. I'm not sure how much are mirrors and don't even want to think about the gas tank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies.

Allan, not sure what you mean by 'leverage'. Height difference? I'll say. I have a 2002 Low Rider, much lower than the MV to say the least. At 5', 6", I thought the height of the MV would be an issue, but so far no prob. Can reach on my tiptoes when stopped and would have no prob leaning the bike a little ot get right foot down on any grade. The bike is definitely a light weight compared to the 600+ lb Harley.

Funny, I was talking to a guy at the dealer who has a BMW and he said he drops his bike like 2-3 times a year. However, given the cyclinder configuration on the BMW, there is almost never any damage done to his bike. Bike apparently falls and stays at a 45 deg. angle. Anyway, not the case with the MV, that's for sure. Thx for the price info on the parts.

Never dropped a bike and hope never will. (and please don't give me THAT quote - lol).

Cheers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You poor guy - what are you going to work up to from here? When you start at the top, there's not much room for improvement.

Seriously, congratulations on your obvious good taste, and get rid of that hog before it tries to mate with the MV.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats !!!! Bold move from cruiser to sportbike......and welcome to the dark side.

Let's see you still ride with your harley buddies on the MV.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey man, congratulations on getting an MV! The bike may seem tame under 6k... after 6k you actually hit the powerband and feel the REAL power haha. Get used to the bike first, but as most members here will tell you, a hard break-in is the best way to break a sportbike in. Ride the crap out of that thing! If anything dont lug it too low in the rpms because that is proven to hurt the bike. I'm sure people with more experience breaking in bikes will be able to elaborate for you. Use the "search" function and you'll see what I mean :). Good luck out there, hope you enjoy your masterpiece!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
NAF said:
Thanks for all your replies.

Allan, not sure what you mean by 'leverage'. Height difference? I'll say. I have a 2002 Low Rider, much lower than the MV to say the least. Cheers.
What I mean is that the riding position (taller seat, hands leaned farther forward and down) of the MV makes it harder to catch the bike as it starts to fall.

Sure it feels perfectly balanced when standing at 80 and 90 degrees - but at 40 degrees, it's challenging. Yes, self experience. I've always ridden sports bikes but the MV is the only one I give a lot more caution to at 1 mph than at 100 mph.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Congrats! Great bike... but be carefull, as all my previous speakers said.
Another comparison: From HD to MV is like from otto engine to warp-drive engine :smoking: :naughty:

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Congrats, and why not?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can't argue with your selection of bike. It's a great bike. If you ever want a "beater bike" that you can afford to crash or at least scuff up now and then, consider spending a little discretionary income on a Ducati supersport. They are inexpensive, easy to ride, very streetable, and will teach you a lot-- and they're still Italian. A good Italian beginner sport bike choice...in fact, I think they are a much better choice for the transition to clip-ons than a 600cc supersport.

Short shift the MV and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Congratulations ... you have excellent taste. May I make a suggestion? Riding the MV is an entirely different world than riding the HD.... I know, I've had both as well. I bought myself a smaller sport bike (R6) to take to the track to practise, learn and increase my riding skills without risking wadding up my pride and joy (the MV). I also took several sportbike riding courses (Pridmore's STAR, etc.) at the track and read riding books to help understand the challenges and techniques of riding a sport bike. As a result I feel much more confident on the MV, and most of all I AM SAFER FOR DOING SO.

·
Registered
228 Posts
NAF

Welcome, and congratulations on the MV.

I am actually a little envious of you - I never made it to 5ft 6, falling short by a few millimetres!!!!

I have had BMW R1100S's for many years and still have, I dropped the first one a couple of times stationery at the beginning, very embaressing - but as you say they have conveniently placed out riggers which the MV does not. You do learn to move about on the seat and be selective about where you stop.

Having invested in my MV I have found that on the move it is beautiful, stationery it scared me - or at least the prospect of scratching it did.

So, I invested in some Frey Daytona boots. They put the sole of my boot flat on the ground - easy, but in fact I am standing on my toes inside the boots. I was worried that these boots would make me look like a dwarf on stils, but my wife tells me they do not (if you think they do please don't shatter my perception). I had to reconfigure the foot rests and levers to make the boots work, but they do and I feel much more in control. Interestingly I cannot ride the BM with the Daytona's - can't change gear - so my old Sidi's are still useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Congrats on your new bike mate.:f4:

The braking will be a lot different on the MV,once bedded in they stop easily
using one finger.Bet the HD never did that for you.
GRAGUSTA.
Can you show us a pic of your helmet(front and rear),love the design and colour.:)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! I have nothing to add to all the other posts except, you are correct about the can of whoop ass above 6000rpm.

CAG

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Congrats, great choice.

I'm making the same transition from multiple HD ownership, although I've had a retro british quasi 'sportsbike ' for the last 3 years to ease into it. Not selling the Hog though. I think there is will always be one in my garage.

Trouble is, I still haven't made the choice between 1098 and F4. I've test ridden them both twice, looked and looked again. Both seem fabulous in different ways and I would be happy with either I'm sure.

What is swaying me is the MV community. After lurking around this forum and the Duc sites for a few months, I note that many members post on both sites, but it sure seems a lot tighter and certainly more relaxed here.

Great stuff, good on ya all.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts