·
Administrator
20,030 Posts
No....it is your idle speed.

Reactions: Edward

·
Administrator
20,030 Posts
The tach on the bike is not that accurate...what does the diag software say? or an electronic tach attached to coil lead?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The tach on the bike is not that accurate...what does the diag software say? or an electronic tach attached to coil lead?
Haven't tried the diagnostic software but if it dies at low idle I would assume you could tell by the sound of it. When this dies it sounds clean like you just turned the key off or dropped the kickstand. A few times it resisted dying and sounded like everything just went off like you were to disconnect the power for a split second and then continued running like Nothing happened once it even died while going 60mph the lights turned off and all the lights on the cluster lit up. I just let off the clutch and she fired right back up

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Okay...

1. condition/age of your battery? I read through these posts but no mention...

2. Did your check for oxidized connections ie the battery to engine ground?

3. Have you checked for solid fuse connections with correct fuses?

·
Administrator
20,030 Posts
Your bike has a fuel trim potentiometer in the ECU that adjusts idle mixture. This could be where you need to go.
You can carefully adjust it with a small screwdriver, but really should use an exhaust gas analyzer to get it right.
And to confirm that it needs adjustment at all. A Ducati tech familiar with this 1.6M ECU will know what to do.

Another possibility, of course, is the SPU.... Since you mentioned lights going out and engine shutting off while running at speed.Do you have the original failure prone SPU?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Okay...

1. condition/age of your battery? I read through these posts but no mention...

2. Did your check for oxidized connections ie the battery to engine ground?

3. Have you checked for solid fuse connections with correct fuses?
Battery is almost 2 years old Battery terminal connections are clean and fuses look fine but i did find a corroded ground in the tail light kit thats on the bike fixed that. still my dash while in the on position will have a couple warning lights barley turn on but they turn off when I press in the brake light switch removing the excess load of power I assume. I ordered a new switch and a new start stop switch. Because I can wiggle that wire connecting both the brake light switch to the start stop switch and it flickers those warning lights that barely turn on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your bike has a fuel trim potentiometer in the ECU that adjusts idle mixture. This could be where you need to go.
You can carefully adjust it with a small screwdriver, but really should use an exhaust gas analyzer to get it right.
And to confirm that it needs adjustment at all. A Ducati tech familiar with this 1.6M ECU will know what to do.

Another possibility, of course, is the SPU.... Since you mentioned lights going out and engine shutting off while running at speed.Do you have the original failure prone SPU?
There is an aftermarket fuel chip installed but as for the spu I would assume its original but idk since I just recently bought it. The bike has only shut off at speed one time and that was after my battery was drained dead from something drawing power while I was at work so maybe that particular time had that happen because the battery was low?

·
Administrator
20,030 Posts
Could be your right handlebar switch !!

Regarding the chip, that is the overall mapping and configuration for the EFI system... Beside the chip, there are several inputs that the chip uses to adjust the fuel map. One of those is the idle trim adjuster, which is on the circuit board directly next to the chip under the round rubber seal in the ECU case bottom. That trim could probably be fine tuned for a better idle.

But since you now mention the electrical issues with your right handlebar switch...fix that before chasing other ghosts.

Could it have been a stuck relay inside your SPU that drained the battery? Or did you leave the forks locked with the "parking" light on? Do you have an alarm fitted???

If you have the "old" SPU still installed I would suggest you start saving your pennies to get a new one. You will eventually need it.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Could be your right handlebar switch !!

Regarding the chip, that is the overall mapping and configuration for the EFI system... Beside the chip, there are several inputs that the chip uses to adjust the fuel map. One of those is the idle trim adjuster, which is on the circuit board directly next to the chip under the round rubber seal in the ECU case bottom. That trim could probably be fine tuned for a better idle.

But since you now mention the electrical issues with your right handlebar switch...fix that before chasing other ghosts.

Could it have been a stuck relay inside your SPU that drained the battery? Or did you leave the forks locked with the "parking" light on? Do you have an alarm fitted???

If you have the "old" SPU still installed I would suggest you start saving your pennies to get a new one. You will eventually need it.
I used my multimeter on all my fuses the only one draining is the one for the dash. I have no alarm fitted so I just got to take the dashboard apart and see where the bad connection is

·
Administrator
20,030 Posts
@Lawler574 ... The dash clock is a constant battery draw. That is why you have key off current to the dash. A small current draw is normal. Nothing wrong with your dash causing the stalling.

If you lock your forks, and turn the key all the way in lock, you can turn on the taillight (Parking Light). This is a common cause of batteries going flat while a bike is parked at work (or anywhere).

Reactions: theknurl
21 - 33 of 33 Posts