MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not thinking about purchase anymore, as I bought one 6Jan18.

Thinking of getting one. I currently have a Buell Ulysses, so I'm used to quirky.
Question:
Would you buy another MV to replace your current ride?
What MPG are you guys seeing on your TVs?
Maintenance cost?
For DIY people what do you used for scanning the computer systems? Cost of scan tool and/or related apps?
And finally is there any advantage to getting a 2017 or 18 model over the 2016?

Thanks for your time!
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi Teeps, welcome.

Would certainly conisider another TVL, possibly a Brutale as a 2nd bike if I was feeling extravagant. Usually in it for the long term with bikes and my current 2016 will be with me for a while all being well.

Mid to high 40s in terms of MPG, that's running in touring mode. Drops to low 40s high 30s if in sports mode and being ridden hard. Touring is my default though.

My warranty expires in April and I'll be looking at DIY maintenance at this stage. Not sure if there's software publicly available. There is some mentioned on here but not sure if suitable for the TV ECU. Do a search.

There are refinements on the 2017 model; allegedly less engine/clutch noise and revised valve guides I believe. Had one on loan at a service and frankly didn't really notice a difference.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Teeps, welcome.

Would certainly conisider another TVL, possibly a Brutale as a 2nd bike if I was feeling extravagant. Usually in it for the long term with bikes and my current 2016 will be with me for a while all being well.

Mid to high 40s in terms of MPG, that's running in touring mode. Drops to low 40s high 30s if in sports mode and being ridden hard. Touring is my default though.

My warranty expires in April and I'll be looking at DIY maintenance at this stage. Not sure if there's software publicly available. There is some mentioned on here but not sure if suitable for the TV ECU. Do a search.

There are refinements on the 2017 model; allegedly less engine/clutch noise and revised valve guides I believe. Had one on loan at a service and frankly didn't really notice a difference.
Thanks for the reply.
I saw a MV Turismo Veloce on a dealer web site, and it struck me.
The TV is an upgrade in every way, performance wise, from the Ulysses.
Key feature in my book cruise control.
And that, you speak with no regrets, with regard to your MV, goes me a long way, confidence wise.
I've had the Buell for 11 years, if I get the MV, it will most likely be the last bike I will own.

Thanks again for taking the time to express your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Please note that I use the cruise control rarely. To me it's a bit of a strange sensation on a bike for some reason. Not a stranger to CC on four wheels, the adaptive CC fitted to my MK2 VW Tiguan is superb. Please note that CC on the TVL only works in 6th gear, not really sure why as this limits its usefulness to high speed motorway use only.

The TV is a great overall package and has kudos due to it's relative uniqueness. Not without its flaws, failing indicators were a bane in the early days of my bike, all now replaced. Failed quick shifter sensor also took a while to get resolved. As part of the CC interlock circuit this disabled the CC function until it was sorted under warranty. Despite these minor issues I'm still enamoured with the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, couple of things it might be worth considering. Check out what updates/warranty work has already been done on the bike and look at getting as much warranty as you can from the shop. Don't read me wrong, whilst the bikes have been known to have issues and I have had a few with mine, I've done 12k miles and it has never let me down on my travels. MV have been superb on honouring warranty and even in the tough times my dealer has been able to get parts. I have no hesitation in recommending the TV, they are superb bikes and I'd expect the price of second hand ones should be very good.

If money wasn't an object, then I'd go for a new one. They have learned a lot and made a number of updates. Also they are apparently giving 3 yrs warranty now.

Enjoy!!

All the best

Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CC only works in 6th gear, disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Good tip about warranty work, Dave. I will ask the dealer before I buy. However, the bike is a hold over 2016 model, so has zero miles.
Unless the afore mentioned part failures are covered by a Recall; the dealer cannot replace them unless they are failed. At least that has been my experience over the last 45 years in the industry.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't test ride it: You'll buy it :) Sent you a PM.
Yes, I know what you mean.
If a motorcycle I'm considering gets past my spec sheet litmus test.
I really don't need a test drive before purchase.
Most of the 34 bikes I've owned over the years were purchased w/o a test ride.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Don't test ride it: You'll buy it :) Sent you a PM.
Ain't that the truth. Test rode a Multistrada and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. At the time I considered the Turismo a curiosity but thought I'd give at a go as my then local dealer was very encouraging. Within three miles on the TVL I knew that it the bike for me. Not as much outright grunt but such responsive and lithe handling, an exciting engine, all the tech you need and looks sensational. None of that has subsided in almost 2 years of ownership. Had a look at the new 2018 Multistrada, it left me cold, have still booked a test ride though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thinking of getting one. I currently have a Buell Ulysses, so I'm used to quirky.
Question:
Would you buy another MV to replace your current ride?
What MPG are you guys seeing on your TVs?
Maintenance cost?
For DIY people what do you used for scanning the computer systems? Cost of scan tool and/or related apps?
And finally is there any advantage to getting a 2017 or 18 model over the 2016?

Thanks for your time!
Merry Christmas!
Welcome.

The TVL is a perfect bike for me. I like my 2016 and will never sell it.
It is in the high forties to fifty miles per gallon. I keep it in sport mode all the time and better gas mileage than my buddy with the GS1200R, by about 15-20%.
I maintain my own bike, so I do not know the costs otherwise.
I do not own a scanner for this bike. While it is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer.
The 2017 may be more dependable, but if you get a 2016 with a few miles on it, the few repairs have likely been done.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Welcome.

The TVL is a perfect bike for me. I like my 2016 and will never sell it.
It is in the high forties to fifty miles per gallon. I keep it in sport mode all the time and better gas mileage than my buddy with the GS1200R, by about 15-20%.
I maintain my own bike, so I do not know the costs otherwise.
I do not own a scanner for this bike. While it is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer.
The 2017 may be more dependable, but if you get a 2016 with a few miles on it, the few repairs have likely been done.
Thanks for the encouraging words Terry.
I can live with high 40s MPG as my Buell gets 50 99% of the time.
The one I'm looking at is a new 2016 hold over. So, I'm preparing my mind for a couple of warranty repair trips. I hope they give me a loaner to get home...

Speaking of maintenance, does this engine use a spin on or cartridge oil filter?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Cartridge. I do wish there was an oil window and an automatic blinker shut off. My riding buddies are always telling me to turn my blinker off. Oh, and heated seats, back rest and a cup holder.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cartridge. I do wish there was an oil window and an automatic blinker shut off. My riding buddies are always telling me to turn my blinker off. Oh, and heated seats, back rest and a cup holder.
You funny...
Self canceling blinkers would be nice, not a deal breaker though, as my current bike doesn't have them either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought one sight unseen. A leftover 2016 as well. Scored a sweet deal on it from a dealer in Minnesota. Has a full 2 year factory warranty. Ive only had a 5 mile spin on it. The "Motorcycle Art" thing is real. Ive a lot of bikes and this one is unique in every way from aesthetics to build quality. the attention to detail is astounding.

Pull the trigger. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just bought one sight unseen. A leftover 2016 as well. Scored a sweet deal on it from a dealer in Minnesota. Has a full 2 year factory warranty. Ive only had a 5 mile spin on it. The "Motorcycle Art" thing is real. Ive a lot of bikes and this one is unique in every way from aesthetics to build quality. the attention to detail is astounding.

Pull the trigger. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

D

I purchased mine from this dealer also (Heinens) last April. Have 8300 miles on it and have only had the TSB completed which required the clutch dampeners to be switched out. So far I'm very impressed with the bike and it has been problem free.

Which color did you get? Which part of the nation do you live in?

·
Super Moderator
21,436 Posts

My Harley has all of that.....>:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Went to the dealer yesterday to look first hand at the bike.
Liked what I saw, but not the price.
They want to add 1800 bucks to the floor price, for this and that, with CA tax and tag.
OTD cost falls just short of 13 grand.
I was thinking closer to 12k.
Now waiting to hear from the salesman to see if they will move off their price.
Maybe next week.

Got email from salesman this afternoon asking for photos of Buell; said he'd talk to the manager...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased mine from this dealer also (Heinens) last April. Have 8300 miles on it and have only had the TSB completed which required the clutch dampeners to be switched out. So far I'm very impressed with the bike and it has been problem free.

Which color did you get? Which part of the nation do you live in?

I live in southeast Virginia right near the NC border.
I would have gone with the Silver because I love the red frame , but I ended up with the Red one as its all they had left.
Got a cracking deal... Nearly $6k off MSRP. Im half considering buying an F3 800 from Paul.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts