MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the price of Mv's have come down in recent times. And the F3& B3 are selling at prices that compare to other manufacturers.
What type of people will we be seeing riding MV's when you go for your next ride......:stickpoke

:f4::brutale:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Snobbery

I think you'll see people like ME Dino :laughing: :laughing:

Infact when I first bought a MV I thought it would have priced people like you away from a prestigious brand, how wrong I am:drummer:.
One of my favourite all time quotes on this forum. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I probably wont change too much because, at least here in the states, there still aren't any dealers selling them. And besides, you always have people like me who buy them secondhand for a song.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah, closest dealer to the Midwest is in Chicago and they only carry 1 of each. My 1078 was the only one they sold in 09. People here still don't know what they are or are familiar enough with them to care that the name means something. Ducatis are good enough for most folks in Indiana that want something "cool"and they buy Monsters here like crazy so they can say they have a Ducati. The only Duc dealer in Indiana is in Indy and it can't keep bikes in the place. People are just delusional if they think Ducatis are still rare OR exotic. And seriously a "monster" is not what comes to mind when I think of a bike with power or performance. People will always get MVs to ride and Ducs to stand next to. I just found out a Piercer at a tattoo shop now has the F4 I demo'd awhile back. Will be looking him up to ride.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
Ducatis are rare...and performance based...and exotic. I'll happily come back to Indy with my S4Rs and ride with you. If you can keep up...:stickpoke

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've ridden an S4RS, it's fine, not a good design and not very good handling, I said Monsters aren't for performance, they are "entry level" bikes and advertised as such. And they don't make the s4rs anymore anyway which was the only one that almost performed. And no they are not rare, they are everywhere and everybody knows what they are. I am aware that every now and then, a Duc owner will appear that actually rides his bike more that just out once a week to Euro bike night and park, and ride home and park, but not many and not here. Are we seriously having a discussion about hoe good a "monster" is on an MV forum?
When I have more time later, I'll pull an article that lists the very definition of what it takes for a bike to be listed as an "Exotic". Sorry, no current Duc comes close to fitting. Just because you don't like the facts doesn't make them un-true. How many models, colors, styles, sizes, variations of it's bikes is Ducati cranking out these days? Too many to count I imagine. If it makes you feel better, Aprilia is considered "Mainstream" now to. MV and Bimota are the Exotics.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
So, I guss that would make Hyosung exotic. Or Riddley.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
Definition of EXOTIC

: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found <exotic plants>

archaic: foreign, alien

: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual <exotic flavors>

: of or relating to striptease <exotic dancing>

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm talking about bikes not strippers. Websters definition doesn't apply. I'm only relaying published info I have read which I agree with.

By: Benjamin "BJ" Kubas Cronin from Fast Bikes April 2011 issue 246, Article name "Exotic Fruits"
In modern times, Italian marques such as Ducati and Aprilia are far more mainstream, despite being more expensive than ever before. And, thankfully, their reliability issues are pretty much a thing of the past, with problems being few and far between. So the mantle of 'Ultimate Exotic' has by default slipped from Ducati's grasp. They're no longer the machines you'd see only on occasion, or at a bid bike meets. Nowadays, you see them pretty much everywhere. Aprilia, on the other hand, has always been more your working man's Italian bike of choice. They've always been affordable, relatively speaking, yet still trick enough to make your mates green with envy. Both firms have worked hard to break into the mainstream and are established players in the toughest game out there-motorcycle manufacturing.

So, who has taken Ducati's place? The answer to that would be MV Agusta, with their stunning F4 range and incoming F3 triple. How many people do you know who own one? We're willing to bet only a few of you actually do. Despite huge investments over recent years they still hold a rarity value that other Italian bikes lost long ago.

Article to follow. One key detail in defining an exotic motorcycle is "Is it desirable?" That takes care of your Hyosung question. Cost, availability, rarity, looks, desirable.
Ducati may be all things but rare and hard to get are not on the list. Old ones, sure, but I am talking about present day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
...ah, to be so easily swayed. I suppose that's why everyone I know, who owns a motorcycle, owns at least one Ducati. MV is no doubt exotic. That does not preclude others from being there. Now, we're talking "grades" of exotic..."ultra" "ultimate" "uber" "penultimate"...come on. A writer bastardizes the dictionary definition of a word and the sheepish public accepts that as "intelligent information". Exotic is its definition. I suppose you also support, and use the phrase "more importantly"....

·
Registered
871 Posts
I gave an example that supported an opinion I agreed with. What point are you actually arguing and who with? Is Ducati rare? No. Are monsters affordable entry level bikes? yes. If you do a search for top 10 beginner bikes, 1 of them is a Monster. They aren't hard to get or find. I will never own one and if given one, I'd sell it, they aren't for me, I've ridden them. So are you trying to convert people? Somehow prove the Ducs are rare and exclusive? Good luck, they aren't. Did I piss you off in a former life or something? Facts are what they are. The first thing a person does in an argument when they have no ground to stand on is attack the other and question their intelligence. You know nothing about me or my education level. Pick a fight you can win and be happy with your little s4rs.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
I guess my point was that you started with a strong statement based on the opinion that some obscure writer says that Ducati is not exotic...or, rather, not the Ultimate Exotic. So, like a fool, I looked up the defintiion of exotic and thought that it applied, quite nicely, to Ducti and several other brands. I have not disrespected you, nor your opinion...just was trying to derive the origin of your opinion. My "little S4Rs" is quite a nice little ride and actually my preferred scoot should I just quickly hit the road. It is also a very nice track tool. The 999R superbike motor in that bike is not exactly for the novice rider, nor are the monoblock Brembos. Now, my wife's 695 Monster is, in fact, an entry level bike and deserves that moniker...I would not teach a newbie on my S4Rs. I suppose you can lump all Ducatis into the 695 Monster mold, but that would be an injustice.

As far as converting people, well, that is just simiply foolish isn't it? This venue, being an MV Agusta owner's forum, one would pre-suppose a loyalty to the brand, aka Rob, who if cut, bleeds MV Agusta red. Me, Ive' owned, and currently own, several differnt brands of motorcycle including the Ultimate Exotic MV Agusta, albeit only a 312R...my wife owns your bike, the Brutale 1090RR, there is also, in additon to the S4Rs and 695 Monsters, a 1998 Ducati 748s track bike, a 1963 Honda Cub C100A, and a Harley-Davidson Ultra-Classic CVO. None of which matters to this conversation, except in the application that I routinely put many miles on a variety of motorcycle and, therefore, have an experienced hand at evaluating performance differences based on something other that what I've read. I am fairly certain, based on the information that I have gleaned from this written conversation, that my opinion does not matter to you.

On the subject of intelligence and education...those are not related, nor did I comment on yours. As you stated, I do not know about your education, nor your intelligence level; but, that is not to say that I know nothing about you. I know what I have read. Is it accurate enough to formulate an opinion?...to draw a conclusion?

Were I "picking a fight", which is not my nature, I'd ask you to list any "fact" (citing references) that was proffered in this diatribe...and then I'd offer to embarrass you on the track with my little entry level S4Rs. It is a conversation based on opinions: the article's author, yours, and mine. Your tone is demeaning and by nature insulting. Sorry that I got your dander up, that was not my intention.

·
Registered
871 Posts
...ah, to be so easily swayed. I suppose that's why everyone I know, who owns a motorcycle, owns at least one Ducati. MV is no doubt exotic. That does not preclude others from being there. Now, we're talking "grades" of exotic..."ultra" "ultimate" "uber" "penultimate"...come on. A writer bastardizes the dictionary definition of a word and the sheepish public accepts that as "intelligent information". Exotic is its definition. I suppose you also support, and use the phrase "more importantly"....

My dander is far from "up" and if your comment above was anything but demeaning and questioning intelligence then I missed it.

I never brought up any other model than the monster, I NEVER said all Ducs were entry level. I also, several times, said present day. Do they currently make the s4rs or not? Did I say yours was an entry level Monster? thought not, MY ENTIRE POINT IS THEY HAVE AN ENTIRE LINE OF BIKES GEARED AND PRICED TOWARDS NEWBIE RIDERS. They are not rare or exclusive. I have asked and asked and asked and asked and asked and asked the local Duc owners group to have monthly rides and even paid money to join the club, to no avail. Noone ever showed, even when the club did organize it. Do they ever go ride anywhere but home after Euro bike night? No. So my experience in my city in my state is that people are buying the hell out of these very "not-rare" bikes so they can say they have one and then not ride them or just crash them. Other riders don't even go to Ducati track days or if they do, don't go out till after noon because most of the idiots will have crashed out by then. I go watch so I can laugh when they crash, then I ride on other days with fewer numbers and more control over who signs up and isn't a dangerous free-for-all.
You were Navy, I was in the Marines, you work in a Power plant, I work in an ICU, you are older than my parents, you have had lots of bikes and ridden forever, so have I. We are similiar and very different. I stated my opinion, then quoted a magazine that had the same opinion as me. I never questioned your ability to ride nor do I care in the least that you do. By saying you would "ambarrass" me on the track, all that is, again is a pointless boast against someone who has a valid point that you don't agree with. Again, we've never ridden, you don't know shit about me or my riding ability or that you if, in fact, you could keep up with me. But since I don't care, nor do I have anything to prove, I'm not going to make pointless statements that can never be proved just to make myself feel better.
If stating facts are demeaning and insulting, then sure, I'll be demeaning all day, like I said, just because you don't like it, doesn't make it change. Please, prove to me how a Ducati sold today is still a rare exotic.
From motorcycleusa.com: 2011 sales have been exceptional in the US, Canadian and Mexican markets; with total North American growth surpassing the 60% mark in the first half of the year. Over 5200 bikes were registered in the first two quarters, and Ducati plans to continue posting strong sales figures as the year continues. Sales up 63% over 2010.

So I found more facts that support the opinion of the author that says they are everywhere. Show me something that proves they are not.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
Yes, you missed it, your mind is made up. Ducati is not exotic.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Jason, I've got to agree with the large bald guy here. Have you ever ridden a S4RS? Mine takes my breath away. it's every bit as fast as my 910R, in a different kind of way. In addition, my Monster (fitted with Brutale handlebars) is more comfortable than my MV.

If my Brutale is to be considered exotic, then my Monster sits right beside it. Sure, the welds arn't as nice, and the paint isn't as slick, but the smile it gives me is every bit as big as the one I get on my MV.......and looks are subjective, but I happen to like how it looks just fine.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Jason, I've got to agree with the large bald guy here.
You have no choice but to agree with the big fella or you would get pounded at the next Bubba & I am not talking in the way that you Brutie riders like to be pounded either. :jsm:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes I hace been on a tri-color s4rs a few times. Again, my point is getting missed, it's ok, I'm used to it. But to clarify. The Streetfighter replaced the s4rs and all monsters made after that one have less power. I did not say anything negative about present day monsters other than a factual statement that they are priced to attract new riders to Ducati and not so crazy to scare them away and it's working. The Monster has saved Ducati and is responsible for more sales than any other model. But in my mind and others, they are not an "Exotic" bike. Again, An exotic bike=desirable, exclusive, rare, not easy to find. A buddy of mine and I found a compromise in this conversation last night after about 2 minutes and no bloodshed. Ducati as a company is no longer considered exotic but they do make some exotic bikes. Carbon Diavel, 1198SP, Baylis edition, and the list goes on. Back to the unrelated topic of how an s4rs performs, I called it "little" because it is, it is litterally a small bike with a big motor, handeling was odd for me, is a hooligan, fun in urban land, not a beginner bike, ok overall if you can sort out how to not wheelie through 3rd. NOT a track bike even if you take it there, many others are much better. So, I would call the tri-color s4rs an exotic, limited run, desirable, few available, and so on. Regular monsters are just too common. The magazine did not convince me, It was how I thought and then by chance I found an article to support my position. I intentionally chose NOT to buy a Ducati BECAUSE there were so many around. So, back to the point of this thread, I feel MV riders will always be a specific type and will seek it out for what it is and to be different. The lower price point might attract some who otherwise wouldn't but someone that wants an MV wants it because it is an MV and will pay whatever it takes. I would.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Jeez Jason

Pull your neck in a bit mate, your not the first or only guy in the world with a MV, to ride, enjoy or for some reason defend.
You were the first one to get riled up here mate, as far as my 2cents go, MV is exotic, and I think some Ducati's sure are too.

Here were I live I have seen as many MV's as Ducati's in the last 6 month's, and not many at all in general.

As far as the original question goes, who will be riding MV's, the same as usual I think, hopefully a few more so the company can survive for a change.

I have seen MV's ridden by people who put their last $'s into just being able to afford one, much like myself, and I have seen blokes who make a lot of money who buy them and never ride them, each to his own I think.
And the opinion can be based on what you know, where you live and life experience I think, and that might be different for almost everybody.
My F4 was exotic to me, and then a bloke asked me if it was a Korean bike, do you think he thought it was exotic ?

Take it easy boys, don't turn this into another Dicati thread please :thewife:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
..... Please, prove to me how a Ducati sold today is still a rare exotic..........
IMHO I find the Ducati Panigale 1199S Tri-colore available today to be a "rare exotic". As with previous Tri-colore editions they were only produced in limited low volume numbers which by definition makes them a little rare... plus the higher asking price usually adds to this somewhat. Perhaps even the Special Edition 848EVO Corse?.... A few years ago there was the Desmocedici too...... But that's just me
:blah:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just said that in my last post and totally agree, but instead of stating that, (whoever started this pointless debate) I was challenged to race on a track because that's just how we solve all debates over here in the US. I was refering to any regular, nothing special production bike. I agree totally that limited runs and special edition bikes absolutely fit the criteria. Donsy, you just agreed with my point, but you keep saying that I sound like I am the only one w an MV, I don't get it or understand your point on this. I'm not sure why it seems a sin on here to stand your ground behind a statement you make and defend your position against someone who decides to single you out, tell you you are wrong and not offer any info to the contrary. Also people read one post, often not completely and then pick and choose what to take from it to pick on. Just wondering which sticky says that if you make a statement and someone disagrees, you are bound by law to roll over and take it up the arse. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts