MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, time to be honest. I've been riding a '98 Triumph Daytona T595 as my one and only bike for the last few years. When I took it in for repair, (another relay) my jaw dropped when I saw an '06 F4 in matte black with all kinds of extra goodies, you know exhaust, carbon bits, race chip, etc. etc. I should have bought it on the spot for $16.5 (500 miles on the odo) but I hesitated and someone else got it.

So now the unthinkable. I'm actually considering dropping $20k+ on a new bike which I have never in my previous years considered doing. So I'm trying to comparison shop and looking at an '08 Ducati 1098s in black w/ Termignoli and an '07 F41000R, stock, also in black. I have not ridden either bike yet, sitting on them inside the dealership I prefer the feel of the tank on the MV. Anyone out there who's actually ridden both bikes have an objective opinion they would like to share?

I did read the recent shoot out article in Sport Rider.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
whitefirelight said:
Okay, time to be honest. I've been riding a '98 Triumph Daytona T595 as my one and only bike for the last few years. When I took it in for repair, (another relay) my jaw dropped when I saw an '06 F4 in matte black with all kinds of extra goodies, you know exhaust, carbon bits, race chip, etc. etc. I should have bought it on the spot for $16.5 (500 miles on the odo) but I hesitated and someone else got it.

So now the unthinkable. I'm actually considering dropping $20k+ on a new bike which I have never in my previous years considered doing. So I'm trying to comparison shop and looking at an '08 Ducati 1098s in black w/ Termignoli and an '07 F41000R, stock, also in black. I have not ridden either bike yet, sitting on them inside the dealership I prefer the feel of the tank on the MV. Anyone out there who's actually ridden both bikes have an objective opinion they would like to share?

I did read the recent shoot out article in Sport Rider.
There are several people who have them on here. This has been discussed seeveral times...

Both bikes are going to be beyond your skill level if they are not, I would recommend going and race. So its based on looks.. Which ever one stirs your soul the most.

thread 1
Race Report 1098 vs 312R
Another 1098 vs f4 thread

Best two threads
My own 1098 vs f4 thread
Peets 1098 vs f4 thread

There is some light reading, that should cover most of what your asking for.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can read article after article for helpful insight...Ultimately you should try and test ride both to see what you prefer (Ergos, twin VS inline 4 etc....Does your dealer allow test rides?)
Good luck with your decision and regardless, both great picks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had Ducati's it seems like forever. I traded in my 999R Xerox on a 07 Senna. Just yesterday I went for one of my favorite rides here in WA state. Left at 9:30 am and returned at 7:30 pm. Went over Mount St. Helens and down into Portland, OR. I ended up riding 382mi yesterday and felt great when I got home. I like the MV so much I am thinking that I will get rid of my S4R and get a Brutale. I think you will be happy with either bike but, I have made the switch to the MV and wish I would have done it a long time ago! The bike is as much fun to just look at as it is to ride! My vote would be for the MV for sure!

·
Registered
284 Posts
have you gone mad? dont sell your S4R, just keep it and get a Brutale so that the S4R wll have a buddy:laughing:

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to ride a Brutale (which I have), then you will understand. The Brutale is a blast to ride. The monster is fun but, the Brutale, WOW!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Rayzer said:
. I traded in my 999R Xerox on a 07 Senna.
Congrats on Senna no doubt its heck of a bike. Some lucky dude gonna have heck of the deal on awesome Xerox :yo: I hope you not gonna miss it I would as I love my 999s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rayzer said:
I have had Ducati's it seems like forever. I traded in my 999R Xerox on a 07 Senna. Just yesterday I went for one of my favorite rides here in WA state. Left at 9:30 am and returned at 7:30 pm. Went over Mount St. Helens and down into Portland, OR. I ended up riding 382mi yesterday and felt great when I got home. I like the MV so much I am thinking that I will get rid of my S4R and get a Brutale. I think you will be happy with either bike but, I have made the switch to the MV and wish I would have done it a long time ago! The bike is as much fun to just look at as it is to ride! My vote would be for the MV for sure!

I had both of them (s4r and 910r).I'll tell what , only 910r nothing else is amazing bike

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
FSL said:
Congrats on Senna no doubt its heck of a bike. Some lucky dude gonna have heck of the deal on awesome Xerox :yo: I hope you not gonna miss it I would as I love my 999s.
Ditto :baddeal:

It's a shame to have to give up one for the other.
I hope i never have to take that decision :jsm: :stickpoke as i LOVE both.

They are different but they are both awesome in my view and really complement each other :love: :love: :friday:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
coming from a 955i to my MV was a MAJOR happy moment from DAY ONE! you will be blown away test ride or not, and mine is a "just" an evo2. :D

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
You have got to ride both bikes! Having previously been a Duke owner, I'm pleased I made the change to MV.

If I were you , I would wait until next year or the Milan show for any changes or updates etc. Apparently, the Duke may undergo a few changes, swingarm and stalling issues.

How about the Triumph Daytona 675? Good reviews and quite Italian in style

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ducs are OK and the V-twin thing makes for an easy-to-ride bike but it gets boring soon. The build quality isn't all that great and the problems are often made worse by the inept dealers/mechanics. While the MV dealer network probably isn't much better, the QC appears a lot better and the bikes don't seem to have all the niggling problems the Ducs have. God help you if you ever have a problem that requires you to deal with the clowns at Ducati North America. Those guys are so customer unfriendly they make the phone company's customer service people look downright helpful in comparison.

Sorry, no more Ducs for me.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I know this is obvious, but go have a ride on both.
They are similar but differ in major areas such as engine configuration. You will either like it or not.
I had Ducati's for over 15 years, and had 2 when I first saw the photos of the then new F4 in about 2000. I brought it sight unseen and waited what seemed an eternity. It was a 750 and I instantly loved it. Mainly because at the time I wanted a more road orietaed machine and my Dukes were pretty much racing bikes and as such a bit angry, noisy and harsh.
Th F4 was much more polished and refined and was what I was looking for without being Japanese bland.
I have owned a Brutale since and now a F41000S. I have no Dukes.
Getting an F4 1000 over a 999 was a pretty easy decison. The 1098 is a new ball game. Basically I like it a lot, but after a few months cooling down and having a go I still like my F4. So much so I am contemplating a 312, and the Duke is not in my agenda.
But hey, that's me.
You will find an exact opposite story on any Ducati web site.
I guess both these machines bring out an element of passion and bias.
Either way you are in for a whole new experience.
Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From what I am reading most everyone is telling you to go ride them and that is a good thing but, also from what I am reading those that have had the ducs such as myself and have made the swith, have never looked back. I do not miss my Xerox rep. As far as the S4R, I have rode it once since getting the Senna and that was because I took my daughter for a ride, otherwise I would have been on the Senna! If I had a Brutale I would have to flip a coin on which one to ride since they are both fun. If I get the Brutale I won't have to worry about which one to ride because, I will be spending most of my time in traffic court and trying to keep my license!! That bike is so much fun and just turns you into a jekle and hyde (not that the Senna is any diff.), keeping my license will be a chanllenge for sure! I am happy with my choice and wish I would have gotten the MV a long time ago. The other thing that is so cool about the MV is that a lot of people have no clue what they are, so it is always a conversation piece. Ducati's become just to common for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rayzer said:
I'm in Florida now, but I remember my days in Eugene riding through the Oreon Cascades. The 3 months of year that you have good weather just about make up for the other 9 with all that raw beauty!

So I sat on both bikes and listened to them both, but didn't ride them yet. Yes my dealer said I could, but I was afraid if I did I would buy it on the spot and I'm not sure if I'm ready to ride away from all that $$$!!!

Anyway. Sitting and riding are not the same, but the MV just feels better to me. I love the windscreen and cockpit which are both more interesting than on the 1098. The biggest factor so far though....when I sit on the F4 it's like I'm on a beautiful women with her legs wrapped around me. I just fit perfect around the tank...as for the Ducati??? Well if it were a woman I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed for getting crumbs on the comforter either, but she doesn't hold me as close as the MV....

Does it sound to you like I've made up my mind? I'm starting to think that I have!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I've heard some people say the fit and finish on the 1098 isn't all there. But one thing I remember is my 999 had gaps were the headlight housing and intakes met the fairing. Because of that, I could say the fit and finish on the 999 weren't that great either.

I think it's hard to generalize which bike fits better. The 1098 fits me better but I've heard other say the MV works for them more. So, it's really worth finding a dealer who will let you test ride both.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Either way I'm sure you won't be sorry. I know for me I am very happy with my choice to by the MV and am now looking at the Brutale. It does sound like you are leaning toward the MV. If it fits go with it and don't look back. You are correct having no wife does equal more time to ride. I am lucky, my wife tells me to go for a ride (shes a keeper), LUCKY ME!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts