MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to get a biased answer on this but I still think it will be interesting to hear your opinions. I want to buy a new Liter Italian and I don't know which one I want, or which one will be a better bike for me I should say. The 1098 or the F41000 (or I guess it would be the 1078 now LOL!).

Which is better as an all around streetbike i.e. 2 up riding and the occasional 200+ mile sprint.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Can't make any comment about 2up riding on sports bikes because I'm not into it.....but I think twins make better 'street bikes' due to a very envious and useable amount of torque.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Ducati...everytime.
Unreal bike...I dont know why anyone would contemplate anything different ???
This is a rather unique question, never heard it before, but once you actually think about it, I'd take the Ducati....

Of course the Ducati !!....I mean, I know my answer is predicatabe, considering we are on an MV Forum.

1098....It's slower, doesn't look as good, not built as well, never won masterbike....although it does scare little children and old ladies when you ride past with your termis....broom broom, duc duc duc...

Please, get the Duke, you'll love it...and go visit 1098.net.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Ducati...everytime.
Unreal bike...I dont know why anyone would contemplate anything different ???
This is a rather unique question, never heard it before, but once you actually think about it, I'd take the Ducati....

Of course the Ducati !!....I mean, I know my answer is predicatabe, considering we are on an MV Forum.

1098....It's slower, doesn't look as good, not built as well, never won masterbike....although it does scare little children and old ladies when you ride past with your termis....broom broom, duc duc duc...

Please, get the Duke, you'll love it...and go visit 1098.net.
Is that sarcasm I sense? :toothless

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok everyone except Velocemoto. My sarcasm tank is overflowing now thanks to him. LOL!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
For the street? Ducati. It's a little more comfortable and power is were you need it for the street and it's easier to manuver at slower speeds. Especially if you want two up riding because the seat is easily convertible. The F4 was never design to be a street bike and to paraphrase Castiglioni, that's what the Brutale is for.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the fact that the MV has a bigger gas tank. Both probably have the best chasis set ups in ALL of motorcycling. Man its a hard decision to make.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I would love to own a 1098R to pair up with my Senna...but the bank says NO!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
They are not designed as street bikes, you would be better off with a naked bike etc. At a push, perhaps twins are better for street use, but over all package, I would say the MV. However, I don't ride with a pillion. Much prefer a solo mission!

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I dont consider either are the perfect choice for street riding and 2 - up riding, but then I dont consider the brutale ideal for 2 up riding either.

If you are riding 2 up I like to find a bike that has a grab bar, so the pillion can hold on both whilst accererating and also braking, not having to push onto tank and also pushing yourself into tank at same time, also not seeing 2 legs fly up to your shoulders when accelerating off. but then we dont want to spoil the looks of the 2-up brutale

im still going for the 312, wife had the choice of either and she likes the 312

so its settled for me, and there cant be any come back when she made the decission

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I actually pondered over this very much in recent memory.

With all the 1098 hype going around and with me being a Ducati enthusiast, I almost made the change. Well, not really, but I considered it.

I had to realize a few things which in turn led me to my final decision.

1 - The 1098 was built on a budget and all the adjustability was dialed OUT of the chassis. This was in my opinion one of the BEST features of the Ducatis. Adjustable steering heads, seat position, rear sets, and so on.

2 - The 1098 even with the 200cc displacement bump still lags power wise. It doesn't make bad power, but it's still short of the japanese competition and the top end on the bike is STILL asthmatic. While the inline 4s run to 180mph, the Ducati starts to wheeze once it hits 160mph. Maybe it's the gearing or whatever but Ducati need to put out a bike that will hit a true 180mph.

3 - Service issues such as stalling, etc plague early models.

4 - The 1098 is tiny! Riders over 210lbs need not apply.

5 - The 1098 has been criticized for a vague feeling front end and it's lost that Ducati trademark stability. In the past, even though Ducatis were down on power, the stability and feel from both the front and rear translated to faster laps than the Japanese bikes even though there was a 30hp discrepancy on average.

* I guess some of the positives of the 1098 are that yes, it is lighter, yes it does make more power and will get you to 167mph faster than the previous model out of the crate. But that's about it. Also, Riders who could never afford a Ducati can now squeeze out a few extra $$$ to purchase one due to the price drop. (I won't begin to talk about market saturation)

The MV on the other hand is a different story. I mean, even standing next to the bike the word "CHEAP" never comes to mind. I have a F4-1000S so that is what I will be comparing the 1098 too. The MV just feels and looks like a very high quality motorcycle. Styling is subjective though as I feel that Ducati made a step backwards by incorporating the old 1995 exhaust. There is no comparison to the organ pipes of the MV. Even after all these years.

My MV has never stalled or experienced any electrical problems. The only issue I have with my MV is the cheap azz battery that comes with the bike that demands a trickle charger at all times otherwise it won't start on that Sunday morning you decide to pull it out.

The 1098 beats my MV in the braking dept BUT the MV's stoppers provide adequate stopping power. Some aftermarket pads go a long way. I rode my friend's F4-1000R and I noticed minimal difference in 'feel' between the radial brakes of the R and the non radial brakes of the S.

Chassis for chassis, I prefer the 999 chassis over the MVs but I'm biased as I have more seat time on the bike. But all of the reports are showing that although flickable, the 1098 does not inspire confidence in it's riders. The MV on the other hand has a Masterbike championship, competitive showings in comparos since it's introduction, AND the fastest lap in the Roadracingworld comparo. Minus a couple more horsepower with each additional model, the bike is essentially unchanged chassis-wise.

Resale - No comparison. 1098s and soon 848s will be at every bike night and bike function due to the masses jumping ship. This will in turn bring down the resale. MVs on the other hand will always be rare items. Even if they are a little Barbie & Ken-ish these days with all these BS body kits and 'special' editions. lol

Power for Power. The MV walks away from the 1098 (or any ducati for that matter) every time. The MV despite it's weight is just as good of a handler if not better than the 1098. The MV's electric anti-engine braking system actually offsets it's own weight disadvantages on corner entries that the 1098 might have by going in deep on the brakes. Therefore similar corner entries are evident along with similar corner speed. But, the MV runs the 1098 down on any straight and gives it a bloody nose in the process.

This post is not a rag on the 1098 but an acknowledgment that the 1098 is still EARLY in it's development stages and will need a lot more refinement to get the maximum potential out of the package.

As far as 2-up goes, I was surpised at how comfortable I was with a passenger on the MV. I don't think it can get any better for a hi-performance sportbike. I will admit though that I have never ridden a passenger on a 1098 but then again it's not rocket science as I wasn't even comfortable with my own weight on the 1098.

Dollar for dollar, a used MV F4-1000S at $16,500 is a much better buy than a new 1098/1098S. In fact it would take Ducati's new 1098R to match the performance of the Japanese inline fours and the MV F41000 S/R/312.

So in a nutshell, here is how I rate the two bikes (Yeah, I know, I'm no expert)

Street/Track Day pace

Handling - MV wins
Acceleration - MV wins
Braking - 1098 wins
Corner entries - Tie
Mid Corner - 1098 wins
Corner exits - 1098 wins
Top end - MV wins
Exclusivity - MV wins
Resale - MV wins
Service - Tie
2 up - MV wins
Power to Weight - 1098 wins

MV - 8
1098 - 6

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now all I have to do is decide whether to get the Homologated 1000 cc version or the full blown 1078 version. LOL!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If you're riding on the street and cost is no object, 1078. Of course you could get $4,000 and 3.75% financing on a F41000R right now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
To be honest, I think if I had the reddies to buy a new MV or 1098, I'd probably opt for the 1098. You can't go wrong with any modern sportsbike, but I just don't like what Cagiva are doing with the brand. They've turned an iconic sporting name into a designer label and done little else with it. Now they're just making these desperate little tweaks every year to something that we all know deserves an overhaul, despite the often lauded "evolution not revolution" philosophy. (Or is it an excuse?)

It may be motorcycle art, but whoever heard of a great painter that spent his life touching up one masterpiece instead of getting out a fresh canvas and painting another?

Si

1 - 20 of 53 Posts