MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
My first thought is if this is really such an easy fixer to get on the road again, why doesn't the seller fix it (he says he has all the parts) and sell it for much more $$$ as a complete bike?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I THINK I bid on a bike from this same person. Well, the ebay name isn't the same, and the location isn't the same but it's very near. And the style of the ad is the same.

I asked the guy to put a fork or a spoon on the seat of the bike and send me a picture, and then I'd bid. He did, and I bid. It was a 2002 748 with very light damage and low miles and I just missed it at $4k.

Kinda wish I got it after all I've been through with the 996 which cost me $8500, but oh well.

The guy says right in the ad that he'll sell you the parts to make it complete, but they look like they don't match to me.

I'd stay away from salvage bikes if it's one you want to keep. If it's going to be a track bike and you'll be going through it anyway, go for it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I just don't understand why he's not selling it complete if he's got the parts. To me this is suspicious. I am wondering whether there is something seriously wrong with the bike (like bent frame) and he's covering himself by only selling it as salvage. i.e. If it's bought as salvage, and then you find a major problem, you have no comeback. On the otherhand, if it's complete, and you're not informed of a defect, then you could sue. (?)

Si

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
It's a gamble, some you win. others :bawling:
One problem with MV is the massive forks, these transmit any accident force into the frame :jsm:
I once went to see a 916 like this, it looked perfect untill you put the tank on, then you could see that tank would not meet up with the airbox seal (The tank is the top of the airbox on 916 derivatives)

·
Registered
261 Posts
mikef4uk said:
It's a gamble, some you win. others :bawling:
One problem with MV is the massive forks, these transmit any accident force into the frame :jsm:
I once went to see a 916 like this, it looked perfect untill you put the tank on, then you could see that tank would not meet up with the airbox seal (The tank is the top of the airbox on 916 derivatives)
That is a good point. I wonder if that is why is not including a picture with the gas tank/ airbox on the bike? It still is weird he is not inlcuding the airbox and gauges.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I know if you want to register a salvage motorcycle in Connecticut, you have to show reciepts of new parts. But I don`t think that is the reason for the seprate parts here. I think it`s so he can take you to the cleaners for the tank and airbox once you commit to the bike.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Couple of points:

-without swapping the clutch master onto this bike does he really know how it runs? The present unit is non functional

-No camera angle to tell bent subframe from straight

-No fairing-off photos so we can't tell if the frame at the engine mount ground down through the side fairing and this is why it was totaled - also if frame is more damaged/bent as Mike said (between head tube and engine mount or airbox are common)

I think this is one to see in person, spend some time getting the clutch MC put together and then buy. Who knows what was replaced or how long the engine was running on it's side with bleeding side covers/waterpump/etc.

Could be a great deal but I'd want to visit it in person, myself.

-

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It doesn't come with a tank airbox or gauges, and you need to replace the levers....after you buy those parts, and get the thing running, you're at the price of an unwrecked one...remember, estimate of damages, the double it for anything unexpected...

The only way I'de get that bike would be if I already had an MV and had spares around because I track her....that way, you make out like a bandit because you already have duplicates...

·
Registered
12 Posts
:bash: This sure sounds too much like the insurance sale Brutale from the Indy area that was asked to leave the "For Sale" section of this forum a week or two ago.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A potential can of worms.

Although these bikes are quite rare there is always one for sale and typically in near perfect condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts