MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati shows up at the Sea Otter Classic - one of the US's biggest bicycle events with a fleet of demo Hypermotards. Want people to spend in a down economy? Think outside of the box, promote and show a rabid audience the fun of powered two wheelers. I know a TON of guys that are into bikes and BIKES.

Seems HD is making some small steps in terms of distro. Let's hope their marketing dept knows how to juice a brand that so badly needs it.

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2009/04/28/a-different-kind-of-bike-demo-at-sea-otter-ducati-hypermotard/#comment-30499

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Anyone who bought HOG at $10 or better a few months ago might agree that HD knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Anyone who bought HOG at $10 or better a few months ago might agree that HD knows what they are doing.

Actions speak louder than words. I don't think HD's stock rise has as much to do with belief in the co as much as it does with the fact that most stocks were oversold. The market has been rising despite bad news simply because it's become status quo (stress test results being delayed, FedEx and Apple laying off employees, next wave of home defaults ready to happen later this year).

Ducati and HD have both built a lifestyle image for their consumers. HD has done it ad nauseum by licensing everything from Ford trucks to baby clothes. Ducati's done a good job of taking a page from the HD playbook with an extensive line of clothing and Tumi bags. But now that people can't (and won't) tap into their HELOCs, they better find new buyers with some cash. It may seem like a joke, but cyclists are every bit as rabid about their sport and many are very well healed. In fact, it's a PERFECT extension because many bikes now push the $10K envelope and the best components come from Italy so the passion for Italian design and craftmanship is already established.

All I'm saying is that I hope as they get their ducks in a row, they make an aggressive push for brand recognition. Maybe some of the exclusivity we all enjoy will be lost, but I'm willing to trade that for the health of the company and (selfishly) the ability to order a part and not have it take 3 months if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actions speak louder than words. I don't think HD's stock rise has as much to do with belief in the co as much as it does with the fact that most stocks were oversold. The market has been rising despite bad news simply because it's become status quo (stress test results being delayed, FedEx and Apple laying off employees, next wave of home defaults ready to happen later this year).

Ducati and HD have both built a lifestyle image for their consumers. HD has done it ad nauseum by licensing everything from Ford trucks to baby clothes. Ducati's done a good job of taking a page from the HD playbook with an extensive line of clothing and Tumi bags. But now that people can't (and won't) tap into their HELOCs, they better find new buyers with some cash. It may seem like a joke, but cyclists are every bit as rabid about their sport and many are very well healed. In fact, it's a PERFECT extension because many bikes now push the $10K envelope and the best components come from Italy so the passion for Italian design and craftmanship is already established.

All I'm saying is that I hope as they get their ducks in a row, they make an aggressive push for brand recognition. Maybe some of the exclusivity we all enjoy will be lost, but I'm willing to trade that for the health of the company and (selfishly) the ability to order a part and not have it take 3 months if I'm lucky.

WELL SAID my friend!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The fact that the broad averages are up 30% from the march lows while HD is up 100% is due to more than it being oversold, imho. I don't think things are as bad as everyone thought.

Put me in the camp that believes they know EXACTLY what they are doing. I don't know what they will do for the brand, but they are going to do what makes money for HD.

I've heard from various members that post here that parts supply has improved. A lot. That's a start. As far as what their plan is for MV, who knows?

I'll take a guess that they are going to make the name as recognizable as Ducati and at some point in the future MV will be offering more than two models. (Naked and Sport)

·
Registered
572 Posts
There'll be MV trikes and MV golf carts and MV dirt bikes and MV sauce pans and MV pet stores. It's gonna be great.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
There'll be MV trikes and MV golf carts and MV dirt bikes and MV sauce pans and MV pet stores. It's gonna be great.
Yes, but when your MV lizard dies, you'll have to wait more than 30 days for the replacement. :D

No, seriously, I heard MV is positioning itself to make a really strong comeback.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I would be very happy if they make that 8 cylinder jet ski.

I could never afford to buy it, mind, but I would be happy if they built it.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Lee'll be the first guy to buy the trike.....

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Die Randarosa. DIE!!!!
Be honest now Lee.......If you'da been just a little quicker on the draw, you'da hung that one on me, right? It's smoking all that ganja back in the 60's that slows you down.......:stickpoke

·
Registered
572 Posts
If MV does make a jetski, I'm sure it'd be the first ever to be purposefully displayed in a living room.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Don't mention the 60's, ever. He doesn't remember.....
Guys, I've been kidding about Lee and ganja. He's a retired airline pilot, and I'm quite sure he took his job seriously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts