1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,324 Posts
Nice post!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Yes seen that before (obviously) but always a great vid to watch from to time! Thanks for posting and walking us down memory lane.

The only thing is the narrator's pronunciation of Italian names and places makes my ears bleed. :(

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. . . The only thing is the narrator's pronunciation of Italian names and places makes my ears bleed. :(
I wondered about that. I know a lot of Euro and Asian languages pronounce a 'U' as 'OO', so the MV 'Agoostsa' threw me. Could you or someone with Italian background clarify this? (By the way, I have no such problem with 'Honda':grin2::grin2:)

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I wondered about that. I know a lot of Euro and Asian languages pronounce a 'U' as 'OO', so the MV 'Agoostsa' threw me. Could you or someone with Italian background clarify this? (By the way, I have no such problem with 'Honda':grin2::grin2:)

It's pretty tough doing phonetics in print - "A-goos-ta' is pretty close but the guy pronounces it "A-goose-sta" which is bad but not the end of the world - but what he does to "Giacomo" is horrible and "Sacriemontie" is astounding, I was wondering why I had never heard of it (when my wife's family is from Varese) and I've been there several times and then realised he's talking about the Sacro Monte :jsm: - The list goes on but I won't bother.

Anyhow, it's better to have something like that on record (film) and nothing at all. Overall it is a very good production and the narrator's ineptitude wouldn't affect the vast majority of the viewers.

It's funny because the original company under Count Agusta wanted the MV to be pronounced the English way i.e MV - in Italian it would be EMME-Voo so they wrote on the seat humps of sports bikes in the late 60's early 70's " emmevi" which is English MV phonetically in Italian. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just watched it for the first time plus i watched the development of the 3 cylinder in the mega factory documentary. Another fascinating insight into an iconic brand. Im new to MV, but owning an MV brand just invokes emotions that I'm not sure many other brands could muster. I don't just own a bike I own an MV.....some people just don't understand (especially my wife).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts