MV Agusta Forum banner

Would this new partnership stop you buying an MV in the future

• No : As long as the bike was designed by MV and the Quality Control was monitored by MV

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Yes: I wouldn't purchase an MV made outside of Varese, Italy

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that MV has entered into a new chapter in it's history..

Hopefully this arrangement will secure it's future and allow it to enter new markets and become profitable at last !!

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Oh boy, what a disaster. A customer can't even get anyone to confirm different spring rates from MV, yet with greed in their eyes MV gladly gives up all intellectual property rights to China. Although, we had to know this was coming at some point.
Japanese manufacturers have enough trouble keeping their own bikes assembled with chinese parts on the road. So who wants to be the first bloke to buy a Chinese made Agusta? Ugh does that sound awful to say. Just make sure you buy the premium warranty and have your life insurance policy up to date.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Oh dear! oh dear!! oh dear!!!

So It looks as if the Varese worshiping die hards are going to have to look elsewhere to satisfy their need.

I did hear about this deal a while back, so MV Agusta is going to get the Chinese touch after all like most other things it seems.

Like I discussed with a good pal of mine a few years ago "Not everything that comes from China is crap"

:smoking:​

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh boy, what a disaster. A customer can't even get anyone to confirm different spring rates from MV, yet with greed in their eyes MV gladly gives up all intellectual property rights to China. Although, we had to know this was coming at some point.
Japanese manufacturers have enough trouble keeping their own bikes assembled with chinese parts on the road. So who wants to be the first bloke to buy a Chinese made Agusta? Ugh does that sound awful to say. Just make sure you buy the premium warranty and have your life insurance policy up to date.

Pretty soon all MV will be built in China and then shipped to the rest of the world. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just for you to know, the first "brazilian" MVs have already been assembled and are being tested on the roads, they will start selling them in december.

I have to say that I'm really happy with this operation here in Brazil. Today it is almost impossible to buy MVs here and sometimes it makes me laugh when some guys here in the forum say that the F3 Oro or the F4RR are expensive: I paid US$ 29k for my 2008 Brutale 910 S!!! I hope this situation will change now as the bikes will no longer be imported.

And as all the parts are coming from Italy and will only be assembled here, I don't think will have quality issues. Let's see.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Don't count on buying a Chinese MV outside of China. The demand for name-brand manufactured goods is China is so strong that it will more profitable to sell all units built in Chana within China rather than export them elsewhere. What you will see is parts coming out of China for use in Italy/Brazil assembled bikes. It's not about where the parts are made, its the quality control of the manufacturer. MV better incoming quality control better be on top of their game because everything coming out of China is shit weather or not it's passed China's quality standards.

I think everyone should go out a buy a bike now before they go to crap.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Wow, this happened on 3rd July and only breaks lose now, well kept secret.

Perhaps a new beginning for MV, things may come out good.

China already owns usa, why not let it own MV as well

think about it:naughty::smoking:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't count on buying a Chinese MV outside of China. The demand for name-brand manufactured goods is China is so strong that it will more profitable to sell all units built in Chana within China rather than export them elsewhere. What you will see is parts coming out of China for use in Italy/Brazil assembled bikes. It's not about where the parts are made, its the quality control of the manufacturer. MV better incoming quality control better be on top of their game because everything coming out of China is shit weather or not it's passed China's quality standards.

I agree MV better invest in Q.A especially if they ship parts to other regions. Unfortunately China forces companies to partner with local companies to try and learn their IP and then use it to compete with their former partners. What I am concern is the possible the cheap knock off parts that will soon be available online and could find it's way into dealers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just for you to know, the first "brazilian" MVs have already been assembled and are being tested on the roads, they will start selling them in december.

I have to say that I'm really happy with this operation here in Brazil. Today it is almost impossible to buy MVs here and sometimes it makes me laugh when some guys here in the forum say that the F3 Oro or the F4RR are expensive: I paid US$ 29k for my 2008 Brutale 910 S!!! I hope this situation will change now as the bikes will no longer be imported.

And as all the parts are coming from Italy and will only be assembled here, I don't think will have quality issues. Let's see.

The question will be is the quality control different from the factory in Italy. Brazil is the most difficult country to import and deal with, Russia is second. Nothing against latin america but that is the truth. The strategy forces companies to invest or partner with local companies, my concern is the quality of bike built will be the same as built in Italy. Have seen this happen with Mexico, Dominican Rep for Power supplies and even brazil when I worked in the electronics industry.

The positive should be better support for the local market and lower pricing especially if MV gets approved for concessions.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The chinese are pretty smart guys ... gee my brother left his mobile on the table in a chinese restaurant and in three hours the chinese had made a perfect copy!!!!

and I bought a chinese watch when I was in Shanghai two years ago and it lasted six months and then failed!!!

My first MV failed within the first three months the headlight wouldn't switch on till I revved it to 4000rpm, and the speedo didn't work for the first 3 months also!!!! Used to blow the 40amp fuse all the time!!

This MV ... the radiators gone it's lost half its value in 2.5 years and cost me $31 000.

The watch was only $28 .......... and whose complaining??

Not me .... coz I love the MV .............. best bike I ever have had!!!

I have a little 80cc chinese motor on the mountain bike that gets thrashed and still running sweet!!!

Cost me $250!!!!!

go the chinese and bring on our velly cheep chinese mv .. you like ... you buy my new MV velly velly cheap my ozzie frend!!!

Velly velly fast and not loose value like italy job!!!!

You won rice wiz zat my frend???

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

It is all relative my friend. When a Japanese 1000CC motorcycle costs around $13,000 ...... $27,000 for a F3 Oro is a lot of money.

I would not want a MV Agusta made or built in Brazil, it just will NOT be the same.

When Harley took over I remember saying "I am glad I have a pre-Harley MV"
If they go to Brazil or worse China, "I am glad I have a pre-Brazil/China MV"
I just hope I get my F3 before they stop producing it in Italy

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts

Absolutely correct.

What research "collaboration' are they talking about? What will the Chinese bring to the table? This is not great news by any standards, if they want to build them for the Chinese great - but if they want to distribute them around the world, then the MVs that I own will be the only ones outside more pre-70's classics that I will own in future.

I don't believe in survival at ANY cost - Death Before Dishonour!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Why do they say that the Chinese can not wait for their 750 and 1000cc motorcycles.
Will they continue to produce the old F4 and Brutale 750 models.

This will definitely take away some of the exclusivity of MV Agusta.:bawling:

The upside is that it may be easier to get hold of spare parts in the future. (made in china)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Our CEO worked for one of the oil giants, they were buiding a plant in china, oddly enough as 'his' plant was being constructed an identical one was also appearing 30k's up the road.

We are breifed at work that if we visit China your mobile WILL be hacked as will your lap top, my compant supplies new phones for China visits and destroys them afterwards, trust doesn't seem to exist

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Death Before Dishonour!.. Classic comment Rob ! .. I like it mate

Come on Guys.

Surely what’s important here is the future survival of MV as a profitable business.

MV needs a tie in with a partner that can give it the opportunity to reach a larger sales market..

Does anyone know how many units MV sold last year to the North American market? .. Let me just say it couldn’t develop as a company with the turn over of sale provided by the North American buyers. Be interested to hear from you guys in the US if you can find this fact out..

In this current global financial downturn, MV needs to have a strong partner that can support it financially in shared development work, but also open doors in other sales sectors..

I suspect MV is in a good position since HD left it debt free and now it wants to stand on it’s own two feet and not find itself in the situation of looking for another bailout buyer in 6 years time. Last chance saloon rings a bell! .. This is a new era in the motorcycle industry and MV needs to be at the forefront of this market and not wait to be one those left behind catching up.

MV wouldn’t go wrong taking a leaf out of the Triumph success story and having its development work done at home and the main production overseas. I would imagine very few Triumph owners care whether their Street Triple is made in Malaysia or in Hinkley. As long as it’s assembled well and the parts back up is reliable.

South America, China, parts of Asia and India are the new developing frontiers that need to be exploited and as long as you keep a tight grip on the “Quality Control” aspects of your product, then it’s a great opportunity that shouldn’t be ignored.

If you’ve currently bought a new MV, or have some after market parts on your pre 2010 existing models, then I bet there’s a high probability that some of the components fitting on your bike originated from China.

The new MV management need to adopt a fresh approach to their business strategy and not ignore the obvious markets open to expansion. Just read their business statement, its all in there.

As long as they retain a grip on QC, then it’s a good move forward and a win win..

Some of the well known motorbike brands and house hold names have their stuff made in China and other emerging countries.. Does that stop you buying their products ? .. At the end of the day it’s just a brand name.

Wouldn’t you all like to see MV enter the racing arena again ?.. Well if MV becomes a profitable business, then maybe that could be a viable possibility.

We all see this new partnership in a different way, but I for one hope its a positve one and not a mistake.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is concerning. Not entirely sure what to make of it, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. Does lessen the shine of one of the most iconic racing brands in history. Definitely the most attractive bikes currently!!

Hopefully, as someone mentioned, maybe the China ones will stay in China and it all stays there. The Italian ones make it almost everywhere.

Not sure what I would buy if not an MV. Ducati's are a possible distant 2nd. Maybe. Or Aprilia?

Dunno. Might need some more time to process this. Is it really this dramatic? Some of you may know more about the going's on of these things more than me, but from the outset I can only see cheap knock-offs and problems. Was it almost better they remained with Harley??

1 - 20 of 72 Posts