MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today I decided to check out the rear hub condition bike has done 10000 miles and I thought time to check it turned out to be in good condition and just needed a clean and a re-grease very happy. I can now nail it without fear of lock up .

Until I fitted new tyres and discovered the front wheel bearings were absolutely shot it has ngk 6907 rs bearings in and looked reasonably new possibly previous owner had them replaced but the spindle through the the bearings was found to be very over tightened . I believe this led to the bearings being destroyed early.

Glad I found out but for my ride home from work I had to do something so I removed the seals and washed the bearings out and forced some grease in and resealed and assembled to bike still a little rough but no longer dry. new bearings on order .

A bonus was the handle bar vibration is reduced.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Ok so today I decided to check out the rear hub condition bike has done 10000 miles and I thought time to check it turned out to be in good condition and just needed a clean and a re-grease very happy. I can now nail it without fear of lock up .

Until I fitted new tyres and discovered the front wheel bearings were absolutely shot it has ngk 6907 rs bearings in and looked reasonably new possibly previous owner had them replaced but the spindle through the the bearings was found to be very over tightened . I believe this led to the bearings being destroyed early.

Glad I found out but for my ride home from work I had to do something so I removed the seals and washed the bearings out and forced some grease in and resealed and assembled to bike still a little rough but no longer dry. new bearings on order .

Hi Rod,

The spindle torque won't have affected the bearings..The stack through the bearings is the inner race...there is no pressure on the ball bearings like you would get in a bike with taper roller bearings.There you would preload to a specific torque and back off a smidge.

When you get your new bearings, just be aware that new bearings can feel a little rough due to the slightly granular nature of the grease when new. It is designed to melt in when warmed up.Sounds crazy I know but that seems to be the way now.

I had some brand new bearings fitted to my Laverda wheels and old after spinning them for five minutes did they smooth out.

This information by the way is from the SKF site...I didn't make it up !0:)

joe

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts

Hi mate,glad to here your rear hub bearings are OK after that mileage and the Yuk around the hub area.lol
As far as the front bearings go I have found that front bearings on a MV are always a bit rumbly because the 2 bearings are loaded pretty tight against the centre spacer,some bikes are worse than others depending on the length of the spacer from the factory.
Glad you have new bearings on order because removing the seals is a big no-no so a bearing company once told me.Once removed even being very careful,they never seal perfect again.
Here is some info on fitting front bearings which is quite interesting-
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=222290&d=1428300588

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only took seals out to add grease for my ride home from work which is around a mile so there should be no ill effect . the new bearings will be with me next week and I will fit them and go for a run thanks for the heads up though

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
?

Joe;
I have a sneaky suspicion that the front wheel bearing spacers are too short,
overloading the Extremely Light Duty Series bearings....

MVs have way too many front wheel bearing failures

I've only seen 1 other front wheel bearing failure.....
On my KTM 640 Duke ll

·
Registered
157 Posts
Joe;
I have a sneaky suspicion that the front wheel bearing spacers are too short,
overloading the Extremely Light Duty Series bearings....

MVs have way too many front wheel bearing failures
I concur. This is way too common for them all to be distance-piece compression related.
20,000kms they seem to need it. And as for the rear hub.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts