MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a discussion going on over at FerrariChat (www.ferrarichat.com) about "milestone" motorcycles. I tried to get a plug in for the F4 750 being a milestone cycle but there doesn't seem to be much support. Folks with a little better grasp of the history of cycles should go over there and help make the point. You can find the thread here.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
this just reaffirms one a my "rules of thumb"

motorcycle guys are usually car guys too, but not the other way around.

anyone else notice this as well?

alex

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can't be bothered getting into a fight with people who obviously don't know bikes - the whole argument is so auto/americentric - could you really have a list of important bikes that doesn't include a BMW or a road Guzzi or a Laverda or a Brough or a AJS or a Ducati 750ss or a Hesketh or I could go on - How about we start our own list?

I'll start ; the most important motorcycles in the history of motorcycling.

1. Ducati 916 and all iterations thereof through the 998
2. Mv 750S 1971

oh and to enter this 'competition' you must find a really good picture....[!]

·
Registered
822 Posts
They missed alot of bikes, in my opinion.

1941 Harley FL (knucklehead), one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever designed, for example.

1985 Yamaha Vmax, the first real muscle bike.

1978 Honda CBX

1967 Norton Commando

This list could go on for a very long time......

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
altoon said:
this just reaffirms one a my "rules of thumb"

motorcycle guys are usually car guys too, but not the other way around.

anyone else notice this as well?

alex
Spot on there, i have a ferrari and a lamborghini yet when i joined there forums im always confronted by irrational :jerkoff: 's. So i contribute to this forum not only because im an mv owner, but have seen right from the start that all members i have talked with or discussed with alway try and understand where im coming from 1st before judging.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
As this is a MV board we can be forgiven for assuming the F4 would be a milestone motorcycle, everything Tamburini pens for me like Pininfarina for Ferrari. 916 Duke is a gimme too. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
....well, in all honesty, in the big scheme of motorcycles, I don't think the F4S is really a milestone. The 916, yes...but not the F4. Most beautiful motorcyle for it's time, yes. But not really a milestone.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I agree with Allan. There's nothing in the MV 750 that really redefined motorcycles. It inherited a lot of features that did, but didn't really introduce anything revolutionary. (Just packaged them together really well.)

I've not read the thread, but as for my votes for the list, I'd have to add the '91 CBR900RR FireBlade, which redefined the class, and not so much threw down the gauntlet as slap the world around the face with it.

Si

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's too early guys. When and I say when MV go full racing not just in SBK but in GP in years to come we will look back and say wow, that F4 750 is a classic and a milestone, it lauched a whole new MV era. It will happen for sure!
Remember the 70's MV were looked on at the time as overpriced, overweight dogs, I kid you not.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I see it as a milestone. Maybe not as huge as the 916, but it definitly is a sexier bike.

Essentially, if the bike is timeless....it's a milestone IMO.

The 900RR is probably the biggest milestone, aside from the 916 in that eventoday, it's used as almost a reference bike in terms of power delivery. And it's still a stunters favorite bike.

The 916 is singlehandedly responsible for the dual headlight look today. And the MV...can you say Suzuki completly ripped off the headlight?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Wow...after reading that forum...alot of those guys are clueless. Some of the mentions though, the 98 R1, the Busa...fairly obvious, that ALOT of people missed.

Funny how they say the MV isn't a milestone, yet, it holds the landspeed record AND can handle like a GP bike....something the Busa can't do. And it's the pinnacle of motorcycle DESIGN. If it's in a museum, it's a milestone.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
....well, in all honesty, in the big scheme of motorcycles, I don't think the F4S is really a milestone. The 916, yes...but not the F4. Most beautiful motorcyle for it's time, yes. But not really a milestone.
By definition, it may not be a milestone, but still significant just the same for the following reasons:
1. The gentleman who penned the design, MR.T. The design may have fallen upon the 916.
2. The collaboration with Ferrari in engine development.
3. It's birth at a time when 750cc sportbikes are becoming rare, with current iterations in Zook skin.

So, while the MV 750 may not be a technological wonder, I feel it is a milestone.

Historically, one could look at the Indian Chief, 86 GSXR 750, BMW K1, 95 Yam GTS1000, etc

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are probably a few different criteria that would qualify a machine to be considered a milestone, performance, styling, technological advancement are a few that come to mind.

The F4 design is certainly one that should deserve strong consideration on everyone's list. A few others I can think of offhand in the past 20 years would include; GSXR 1000 set the bar in terms of power alone, nothing to look at, but is the current benchmark in performance, Harely Softail no other motorcycle bilked more money from Dr.s and lawyers on worthless mods and clothing than this bike, also recitated not only HD, but the entire motorcycle economy with all of it's imitations, Ducati 916 - enough said, 85 GSXR 750 the first accepted fully faired machine. I am sure there are several others in the past ~20 years, just hitting a few highlights.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
The MV is most certainly a milestone in design at the very least. Name me another model that came out 4 years late and when it finally was released it blew every one away??? It was the talk of the motorcycle industry at that time and still is now when it is ridden, tested, and written about.

Not to mention that most competitors copied the headlight and turnsignal mirrors a very strong form of flattery. MV is not copying anything from anybody this design will stand the test of time. It looks just as fresh as it was since it's launch

·
Registered
822 Posts
mvcorse said:
Harely Softail no other motorcycle bilked more money from Dr.s and lawyers on worthless mods and clothing than this bike, also recitated not only HD, but the entire motorcycle economy with all of it's imitations,
Well put, that bike changed the face of motorcycling. Is it obvious from my posts that my family has been in the harley business for 40+ years??? :smoking:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts