MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My 2004 750 has decided to have one of those occasional hiccups. Starts and runs great, doesn't cut out when coming to a halt, a la traffic light issues, but once every 50kms or so while at a cruising speed the engine will stop/loose power.

I can't tell if it's electrical or fuel related as it's only lasting for a second or so, but long enough to be dangerous. No lights are coming on on the dash which makes me think it's not ignition related but possibly fuel.

Anyone got any ideas or had something similar happen and can point me in a direction to start looking?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like the plug idea.

A loose ground somewhere? I think there are 3 grounds points.
Mine just started to do the same thing. Just cuts out then back on again while at cruising speed. Carl, where are the 3 ground points? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Ecu, battery, rear brake reservoir, and I think there is one more under the tank, but I can't visualize it and don't have a tank off to look at.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ecu, battery, rear brake reservoir, and I think there is one more under the tank, but I can't visualize it and don't have a tank off to look at.
Thanks as always CAG, I'll start checking.

These sort of problems are time consuming and a pain in the arse as you don't know if they're solved until you've been for a decent ride after each bit of tinkering!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
How about it starts great, warms up as they all do, but then you stop for example to get gas, and a minute later when you hit the start button, it starts and dies 3-4 times in a row very quick and kind of flashing the instrument lights. No problem re-starting when cold.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about it starts great, warms up as they all do, but then you stop for example to get gas, and a minute later when you hit the start button, it starts and dies 3-4 times in a row very quick and kind of flashing the instrument lights. No problem re-starting when cold.
Is this a problem you have? Mine is fine as far as that goes. You can start it over and over with no problems, it's just this bloody intermitent dying when riding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have got the same issue last week. She just dies off (about 3 times - less than 5km) when riding after a fresh petrol is filled.
Stop awhile for 10 minutes, and everything restart as per normal.

I am interested to know what is causing this as well.
Additionally, i have a new set of spark plugs installed, but still having the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I have got the same issue last week. She just dies off (about 3 times - less than 5km) when riding after a fresh petrol is filled.
Stop awhile for 10 minutes, and everything restart as per normal.

I am interested to know what is causing this as well.
Additionally, i have a new set of spark plugs installed, but still having the same issue.
Maverick I think your problem is fuel tank/cap breather related. If it cuts out again, open your fuel cap and then try to start the bike again. Does it make a sucking sound when you open the fuel cap, it should not, but instead you should hear slight hissing sound from the fuel cap after you have been riding. Hope this helps

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maverick I think your problem is fuel tank/cap breather related. If it cuts out again, open your fuel cap and then try to start the bike again. Does it make a sucking sound when you open the fuel cap, it should not, but instead you should hear slight hissing sound from the fuel cap after you have been riding. Hope this helps

Thanks Donsy for the advise. I will take note of this when I have the problem again.

If there is hissing sound, does it mean that one of the hose is broken or something else ? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would check the HT leads too. I had a ducati that would just loose power randomly and I found a faulty lead on it easy to check, just check both ends and make sure they are clean and use a meter on them and give them a good jiggle.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would check the HT leads too. I had a ducati that would just loose power randomly and I found a faulty lead on it easy to check, just check both ends and make sure they are clean and use a meter on them and give them a good jiggle.
Should I jiggle the HT leads with my bare hands while the engine's running? :lightning lol

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
If I were you I would be looking at fuel like Donsy said,a bad plug or coil/lead would normally cause a constant missfire rather than an intermittent problem,Mitch.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were you I would be looking at fuel like Donsy said,a bad plug or coil/lead would normally cause a constant missfire rather than an intermittent problem,Mitch.
Hey Mitchy. I'm with you on that for Mavericks problems. I'm leaning towards electrical on mine unless I've picked up some dirty fuel and I'm getting a bit of crap going through every so often.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can wiggle the leads if you want to when the engines running... But I wouldn't..... not much current (amps) but very high voltage!!!!

Is your heart good???

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Hey Mitchy. I'm with you on that for Mavericks problems. I'm leaning towards electrical on mine unless I've picked up some dirty fuel and I'm getting a bit of crap going through every so often.
Hi Pf..? Mitch has a point too, yours does sound electrical, if the bike cuts out completely it has to be something that cuts ALL power and not just one spark plug. Check all those earth points and have a bit of a look at your sidestand switch etc. All the things that will effectively switch in off but not turn it off, if you know what I mean ? You mentioned the dash stays on ? I would look into the kill sitch or sidestand switch.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts