MV Agusta Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wellnuts have a place in the automotive world .... Just NOT used the way they are in the MV airbox .. Be safe rather than sorry in three easy steps: remove the two "airbox covers" - Remove at least the two REAR wellnuts, taking care that the inner brass "thingy" comes out with the wellnut -- Install an M4 aluminium Rivnut --- Done!
If you buy an F4 -- check that this mod has been done, If not -- do it immediately ..

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Those well-nuts are also a maintenance replacement item. The rubber degrades with time and they are supposed to be replaced each time they are removed, or at least every three years. Most people to not do this. If they are in good condition, and they are properly tightened (i.e. not over torqued) they work well. It is when the rubber fails, and someone removes the Injector Cover screws that the back half of the well-nut drops into the Air Box right above the outboard Throttle Body Butterflies.
If you did not inspect, and you open the throttle....down into the intake they go.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Another update on progress, new 1.30mm head gasket arrived today so ready to start rebuild, I was just wondering will the timing be affected going down .015 mm in thickness or will stock timing be ok for Ptv clearance?
You should be fine. No adjustments should be needed.
Rotate the engine through a few times by hand after installing the cams and confirm timing and no mechanical interference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Great thanks, I emailed 4 gasket making companies in the uk 2 weeks ago to see if they could make me a 1.45mm thick one,I had no replies until this morning when 2 companies came back with quotes
1st company quoted £90 for gasket and “£690.00” for resetting tooling on machine😱😱. The second company just want £80 for gasket plus postage With 2 week turnaround, they are called Dobson gaskets and seem a pretty reputable company. I think for £80 it would be worth it for correct size gasket

·
Registered
732 Posts
Last update guys back running as good as ever, I had to wait 3 weeks on new head gasket arriving but It didn’t take to long to build it back up. Thanks again to everyone for their invaluable advice👍
Wonderful write up, thank you! Keep in mind if you ever do the valve clearance adjustment, Take a picture of the phonic wheel and cams at TDC before you undo the timing chain. Should be easier to put back together. I had a nightmare time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you replace the wellnuts with rivnuts as the knurl advises? I had them fail TWICE in less than a year. Lucky not through the cylinder as far as I can tell. This was my solution to hold the rivnuts in place, in fact I've been riding it like this. Last time it failed was when I bought CF covers to replace the original thermoplastic, the rear nut had disintegrated in about 6 months.
2020-03-27 002.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Did you replace the wellnuts with rivnuts as the knurl advises? I had them fail TWICE in less than a year. Lucky not through the cylinder as far as I can tell. This was my solution to hold the rivnuts in place, in fact I've been riding it like this. Last time it failed was when I bought CF covers to replace the original thermoplastic, the rear nut had disintegrated in about 6 months. View attachment 478298
Hi, I used 3M Dual Lock Velcro. Check out the pics is my post "Avoiding Wellnut disasters"

61 - 71 of 71 Posts