MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys I think removing head is just beyond my capabilities so was talking to my local mv dealer and they are going to take it and do what all is necessary to leave it completely sorted
They said the cost shouldn鈥檛 be to bad as I have most of bike stripped and pinpointed were problem is, only thing is this COVID-19 bollocks is holding everything up, but will keep you updated on progress and pictures when complete, in the meantime thanks for your invaluable information and stay safe馃憤

Registered
I'm sorry you didn't see my 10 year old thread "Avoiding Wellnut disasters......I've moved it to my sticky "For 1st time 1st Gen MV owners"

Super Moderator
Chrissy, you'll get there. Nice work so far. Just keep good track of the parts!

Administrator
The first generation MVs are such easy bikes to work on !!! Don't you love it ???
Only really tricky part is the cam timing going back together...great opportunity to check and adjust clearances if needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Yes it鈥檚 being fairly straight forward so far. I have the pins marked on timing chain with a dab of white paint so as to go back on in exactly the same place relative to the camshaft marks being horizontal to top of head at TDC. Luckily all camshaft bolts loosened ok but I am just waiting on a good quality hex socket I ordered for cylinder head nuts before I take everything apart.
When I remove head will shims stay in place so they don鈥檛 get mixed up if I turn head upside down or should I remove them first and label them so they go back on same valves?

Registered
Dont turn head over when you lift it off! without the cams in place the buckets can slide off with the shim. Get an egg tray and number each pocket in relation to valve number, inlet/exh, then use a magnet tool an lift each bucket 1 at a time, check inside if shim stuck to inside or still stuck on top of valve stem before doing next one until you counted all 16. Then you can turn head upside down to check underside.
You may be able to gently clean piston surface with it wound to TDC, but cover all other cylinders with masking tape to stop any crud getting in other bores. Work carefully from centre out and leave 1~2mm from edge all way round, get vacuum cleaner in there! do all pistons in same way and carefully seal off each cylinder except one being cleaned at tdc..... good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I haven鈥檛 got head off yet still waiting on hex socket , post slow here at the moment

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Hi guys would anybody have any idea where I could get a 1.45mm replacement head gasket I have tried all the Oem parts dealers like bike parts.com and StarTwin but they say its been discontinued., or in worst case and can鈥檛 get one can original one be used again
thanks

Super Moderator
Have you called MV Agusta directly or gone through your closest dealership?

Administrator
Hi guys would anybody have any idea where I could get a 1.45mm replacement head gasket I have tried all the Oem parts dealers like bike parts.com and StarTwin but they say its been discontinued., or in worst case and can鈥檛 get one can original one be used again
thanks
Would there be enough clearance to use the 1.3mm one or would head need skimmed
The 1.3 mm would increase compression. You certainly wouldn't want to skim the head. At 0.15 mm thinner (.006 inch) I doubt it would cause piston to head contact, but you could measure the piston height above the cylinder surface to confirm (per the manual).

Or use copper gasket paint and reuse the original
!

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Yes sorry I got mixed up you would need thicker gasket if I skimmed head.
Don鈥檛 fancy taking the chance on reusing gasket after stripping the bike down this far, I think I will go for 1.30mm one after checking clearances as 0.15mm shouldn鈥檛 make much difference being only the thickness of a sheet of paper馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Ok guys another update I got head off and did not find what I expected to. The pistons,rings cylinders and valves are all in excellent condition ( no sign of brass wellnut or residue anywhere ) the only damage I can see is in last couple of pictures of scrapes beside valves and on piston but are not that deep just superficial, could this have been the noise I heard originally
Also have measured piston to cylinder plane height which is 0.39mm so if I use the 1.3mm gasket and allow for squish down to 1.25mm that would should leave me enough clearance of 0.86mm ( hopefully you can make marks out on last 4 pictures)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 71 Posts