MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that tread topic might get some attention.

The 05 F4 1k is a FAST bike. At my last track day at Willow Springs, I was able to close the gap on an 06 Gixer 1k, which had a pipe, PCIII, and some dyno time. My MV is totally stock.

With that kind of power on tap, it make you get a little lazy as a rider. At least it seems like I get lazy. Or something, because I'm not getting any faster.

I really want to improve my corner speed, and I know this bike can do that. But with all that power on tap, it's more like "Why try to pass this guy here in the turn? I'll just get him at the next straight!"

Perhaps a nice 07 Honda CBR600RR would be a better choice for a track bike?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
R6 or CBR600RR would be a great 4 stroke track bike. I would go for a current R6 as parts are cheap and they crash well - panels are strong.

The R6 is the closest thing to an Aprilia RS250 two-stroke (trackbike with lights) the way the engine revs and the way the power build up its like an on/off switch!! This should teach you good cornering speeds. I've seen a stock RS250 rider beat riders on 1000cc bikes at Eastern Creek by good 5-10seconds.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
minime said:
R6 or CBR600RR would be a great 4 stroke track bike. I would go for a current R6 as parts are cheap and they crash well - panels are strong.

The R6 is the closest thing to an Aprilia RS250 two-stroke (trackbike with lights) the way the engine revs and the way the power build up its like an on/off switch!! This should teach you good cornering speeds. I've seen a stock RS250 rider beat riders on 1000cc bikes at Eastern Creek by good 5-10seconds.
+1 BUT an MV on the track must be an awesome experience!

·
Registered
403 Posts
A fast rider on a slow bike will beat a slow rider on a fast bike. Save your dough..wait until MV comes out with the 600!. That will be a great track bike.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Alex,

You know what you need better than anyone. I suspect if you took your F4 to a Fredie Spencer ( or similar) experience at Miller motorpark you would get the improvement on YOUR machine that you seek.

Peter

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
JamesC said:
Pick up a 750 and run it with the 43 rear. Problem solved LOL
I was thinkin the same thing....get a 750, and wring its neck. It has the handling of your literbike, but without all the power...makes you have to work a little harder.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good suggestions.

Also for me, my level of fitness is badly lacking. I can only go a few laps in a session the track before I have real problems with fatigue. I tire pretty quickly, which make me tense up. Pretty soon, I've got the bars in a death grip and I can't feel the front end.

More exercise, especially getting back on my road bike, would probably make a difference.

And some lessons - Spencer would be great, however you use their bikes. Doug Pollen and Kenny Kopecky (http://www.kennykopecky.com/) both offer one-on-one time at selected track days. I'll have to look into that.

Plus just time on the track - probably the most important.

Alex

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Having more power doesn't make you a slower rider, Alex. From what you said, it's your risk assessment and lack of aggression toward fellow trackriders that dictate your pace. It's not all bad considering you aren't racing.

On the subject of a 600cc bike, I tried my friend's, Dave, Superstock-prepped R6 this past Sunday at SMMR. It was the best 600cc I have ever ridden. Decent power and the ease of changing line mid corner. That got me thinking about a Formula Extreme-prepped '06 R6 like one of Graves' bikes. (Note to self, remember to mention it to Jason DiSalvo the next time I talk to him.)

·
Registered
398 Posts
fazer6 said:
The more I think about it the more I want a Tri 675.

Here's mine and I really like it so far:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David - I agree that more power should make for a faster rider, but only if you know how to use it. That's where I struggle. A lower-displacement bike would put greater emphasis on me to improve my corner speeds. Those skills should transfer to the bigger bike.

Ryan - that is an AWESOME bike! Love the new 675. Sure wish I had one. Wonder how it will stack up to the new Honda 600RR, which may be the top of the middle weight group this year...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts