MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have a 2016 F4. Recently changed oil and filter ok but have a question about the coolant. Picked up the Agip coolant from local MV dealer that they said should be for the bike. The problem is the coolant is orange(long life? ) the coolant in the bike blue. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hello & welcome

If you are looking to change the coolant; I would say drain all the old coolant and use the new (if it is the correct coolant).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Use some blue food coloring...problem solved....

Service manual says change your coolant every 2 years. Considering how our bikes like to run Hot and if your unsure if it's been changed, I'd change it. Coolant degrades over time....unless you buy EVANS waterless coolant (whitch is what you should have gotten! Ha) Doesn't take that much extra time to do the whole bike. Then buy that tool and an air compressor and your coolant flush is only $300! What a bargain!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point is when did MV change from 2 to 5 year for this model. Is the blue 2 or 5 year. I get the need to change every 2 years as that is what the manual says. Looking for an answer like- yes MV changed the coolant type in 2012.Dealer may have put the wrong coolant in on the last service or the current dealer has sold me the wrong stuff for this model/year. I like to have accurate info. Thanks for the quick feedback so far guys.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Blue is the OEM color....color doesn't matter! That's the point.

·
Super Moderator
23,100 Posts
What does matter, and is sometimes reflected by color, is whether the coolant is Ethylene Glycol, or Propylene Glycol...those two are not compatible.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You are correct.

Agip MSDS shows mostly ethylene glycol..and since last I knew AGIP was still the factory fill for MV. Different formulations may have different colors but from what I can see AGIP uses ethylene glycol predominantly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Silent Service for the reply. colour does in the uk as nearly all blue coolant is 2y and orange/red organic 5y.They have different chemical ingredients both are ethylene glycol and but are not compatible without a thorough flush. The manual for MV model specifies Agip eco permanent and thats the only info in there. I tried the MV dealer this afternoon but nobody was answering in service. What I have just found though is a Agip product data sheet online for this product and the colour is stated as turqoise(blue) and long life 5yr.So probably compatible with the orange supplied by the dealer will still give it a flush. Not too worried about overheating here as does not seem to be a problem 80% of the time in UK below 20c and I dont do town traffic. I changed my Daytona 955 from blue to Silkolene propylene and that is yellow. Obviously after a good flush.

·
Super Moderator
23,100 Posts
You also need to consider the freeze protection provided for your climate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the latest info. The MV is such a beautiful bike a work of art. Really want to look after it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Spec sheet on coolant
That's just a glorified Ad basically. It's not an MSDS that shows the chemical makeup. But it really doesn't matter if you're going to drain it and fully flush your coolant system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It shows that the Eco permanent is blue, my concern was the wrong fluid was put in on a previous service.

·
Super Moderator
23,100 Posts
It is interesting that the spec sheet says what it is not...but does not say what it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts