MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Shashank, I am from Boston and I have been riding motorcycles for over 17yrs now. I have owned several 2-stroke street bikes (<250cc) and a Royal Enfield 500.

I have a 2010 BMW S1000RR that I am planning to convert to a track only bike. I have a F3 on pre-order that I'll use for daily commute, weekend rides etc. I own bikes to ride and not to showcase them outside Starbucks. I usually put an average of 15k miles/year on my primary bike.

Is it a impractical decision to have the F3 as my primary bike? I have never owned a MV and I don't know about their reliability. I have seen on numerous threads here that lot of people have had to wait for months to get replacement parts from Italy. If that is true (assuming that MV has not improvised their parts supply chain), should I buy something else that has proven reliability and easy maintenance?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Hi Shashank,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "soon to be delivered" F3..... Lucky you!
There's a lot of members her that use their MV's as daily riders and put reasonable mileage on them yearly and have no issues doing so.
As you mentioned, the only issue my be supply and fitting of any parts/servicing you may need that could keep your daily rider off the road if your local MV dealer can't or doesnt provide a good service.
Also, as with any "first production model" (especially Italian) the F3 might be laden with a few bugs that need to be ironed out before it will be as reliable as your S1000RR.
Good luck!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
It's What You Want

That's a very interesting question S.

I love MVs to death and can honestly say that if I wasn't allowed to have any MVs riding motorcycles would be a thing of the past for me.

Ok, so coming with that disclosure, I don't know if I would have a new F3 as my primary bike - I am getting one the minute they arrive in Australia having committed to purchase one in November 2010 but it certainly won't be my primary - bike none of them are.

Many people worry about first edition bikes and I guess if that's your only bike then it could be a valid consideration but having said that my F4 has 21,000 klms and hasn't had a single non service part replaced - meticulously maintained by only the best techs. Perhaps what you put in is what you get out?

For me riding is not getting from A to B or ticking a bunch of boxes, it''s not a decision of the head, it's a decision of the heart, it's about putting the widest grin on my face - sometimes those type of mistresses can also be stressful ;)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Get a Hummer...

Keep your bike for runs into NH ; )

Agreed, I think......I've not yet seen or ridden the F3, but I'm quite enamoured with it. As a daily rider..........heck no! ......but then again, I'm old, fat, and not very fast......:)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Hey Guys

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Shashank, I am from Boston and I have been riding motorcycles for over 17yrs now. I have owned several 2-stroke street bikes (<250cc) and a Royal Enfield 500.

I have a 2010 BMW S1000RR that I am planning to convert to a track only bike. I have a F3 on pre-order that I'll use for daily commute, weekend rides etc. I own bikes to ride and not to showcase them outside Starbucks. I usually put an average of 15k miles/year on my primary bike.

Is it a impractical decision to have the F3 as my primary bike? I have never owned a MV and I don't know about their reliability. I have seen on numerous threads here that lot of people have had to wait for months to get replacement parts from Italy. If that is true (assuming that MV has not improvised their parts supply chain), should I buy something else that has proven reliability and easy maintenance?
I would do the opposite.
Keep the BMW for street use and track the F3 :f4:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I ride the F4 to work on any nice day, including today. I know a few people on here argue that it isnt designed to do that but it hasnt failed me as of yet (knock on the pressed wood shavings that comprise this desk) and its a hell of a lot more fun than a car.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Shashank you must be one of the lucky 5 ppl that are getting an F3(assuming you are getting it from Cycles 128/eastern cycle) i was there yesterday inquiring about one. Just asking around. i ride my F4 to work whenever i get a chance, and im looking forward to more track days in NH. my opinion will be, enjoy the F3 this riding season both track and street, and then for next yr you can decide which of the 2 gets to stay as the track master.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a Hummer...
Keep your bike for runs into NH ; )
Have a BMW X5, much better than the boxy Hummer for on road use!

I ride the F4 to work on any nice day, including today. I know a few people on here argue that it isnt designed to do that but it hasnt failed me as of yet (knock on the pressed wood shavings that comprise this desk) and its a hell of a lot more fun than a car.
Good to know, but I am not sure if the MV can handle 15000miles or more per year. OR maybe I am just being paranoid?

Shashank you must be one of the lucky 5 ppl that are getting an F3(assuming you are getting it from Cycles 128/eastern cycle) i was there yesterday inquiring about one. Just asking around. i ride my F4 to work whenever i get a chance, and im looking forward to more track days in NH. my opinion will be, enjoy the F3 this riding season both track and street, and then for next yr you can decide which of the 2 gets to stay as the track master.
Cycles 128 refused to take my order as they already have deposits on all their bikes. I had to get it from a dealer in south.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Good to know, but I am not sure if the MV can handle 15000miles or more per year. OR maybe I am just being paranoid?
I think the bigger question would be, can you? Its a fairly aggressive seating position so it could wear on you. Ive been putting about 100 a week on it on average, my commute isnt that bad.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the bigger question would be, can you? Its a fairly aggressive seating position so it could wear on you. Ive been putting about 100 a week on it on average, my commute isnt that bad.
I can :) I have 25k miles on my S1000RR in less than 20 months and the F3 has the same seating position (I sat on it at the NYC show)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
last riding season i put over 4k miles on within 4 months, RYAN i wish my commute was that small. i do at least 100 miles a day. specially if im riding, ill stop home nature calls, then hop back on and dont get home till really late. my MV has taken a decent beating, just keep your oil clean. i think ive read reports of the F3 being ridden for 240km while being tested just on one bike. i know that one example but its a good one, so to me it will be pretty reliable
ps. hey shashank we should ride! we can hopefully get Alexx, Cag, Cindy, and silent service to all ride together, like a lil MV meet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey shashank we should ride! we can hopefully get Alexx, Cag, Cindy, and silent service to all ride together, like a lil MV meet.
Absolutely, would love to! Its however gonna be June before I get my F3 though.

·
Super Moderator
22,492 Posts
Absolutely, would love to! Its however gonna be June before I get my F3 though.
Hell, it'll be June before I can get this bloody knee into F4 position!
We do South Shore rides almost every Sunday from the Plymouth waterfront...:brutale::f4:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would do the opposite.
Keep the BMW for street use and track the F3 :f4:
...I would get rid of the BMTrouble U completely and have an F4 and an F3........but seriously......:brutale::f4:

I have done 60,000k on my '04 F4SR which comprised of 4 years of commuting, track days, long distance touring (two-up as well) in rain hail and shine and has never missed a beat.

....NOTHING else will give you a hard-on every time you ride it......

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts