MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Superveloce S 2021
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Situation: My bike was pretty low on battery (to a level it could not start and light on the screen)

1) I plugged the BC charger, green LED blinking slowly (= "phases 1,2,3,4" as per notice)
2) After less than 1 day, the green LED was blinking fast (= "phase 5 desulfaction" as per notice)
3) After almost 3 days, the green LED is still blinking fast

Is it normal that the phase 5 is taking more than 2 days ?!
How long should take the process (from a low battery to full charge = green LED fixed) ?

It is the first time I am using a charger on one a my bikes; so apologises if my question is not a clever one )

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
You aren't just "charging a battery"...you are trying to desulfate a battery that is probably dead for good.
Desulfation, depending on the extent, can take a long time...or never fully recover.
True desulfation also requires currents and voltages that the BC charger probably cannot supply,
Were it me, I'd try for a week, then replace the battery.

Reactions: JeremyMoscow

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Edit.... What he ^^^^ said.
Your battery may be so deeply discharged that it is damaged beyond saving. This is caused by cell sulfation which essentially places a barrier in the path of electron flow. This barrier is what the charger is trying to break down when in the desulfation phase.
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, take the charger off and measure standing voltage. Measure again after 3 or 4 hours. Voltage should not drop significantly during that time and should be around 13 volts.
Voltage that drops to 12 volts or less indicates the battery is done and it is time for a new one.

·
Registered
Superveloce S 2021
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This doesn't sound good...
The bike is new and almost never been used (less than 500km); and already a dead battery!

I will contact MV Agusta and sees if a battery replacement could be taken under the warrantee.

I will try to use a voltmeter and check the situation.

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
Batteries in brand new motorcycles are not maintained in ready-to-go condition. Very likely the dealer let the battery die and didn't put a maintenance charger on it until it was sold and prepped for delivery. This drastically shortens battery life.
Even Brand New batteries bought from supply houses...that have not been properly initialized and maintained...will often have short lives.

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
That's a shame..... get a Yuasa AGM replacement, charge it overnight before installation, then keep the tender plugged in anytime the bike is not being ridden.

Reactions: revhead1957

·
Registered
2018 F3 800, 1970 Velocette Thruxton, '03 Aprilia Falco
16 Posts
What voltage should the battery show sitting idle. (Not at idle, just idle.) I have an '18 F3 800 with a new replacement engine (the original having dropped a valve and replaced under warranty) with a new Lithium battery the brand of which I do not know. The bike can be hard to start. Cranks and cranks but I don't let it. I'm wondering if it is cranking too slowly?

·
Registered
2020 MV F3 800 RC
37 Posts
You can use a fast volt meter to watch the battery voltage while cranking, if it's dropping much below 11 volts during crank, a better battery will help..
Also check your terminals, good clean contact, often lithium batteries have different shape and material connections which can result in a small contact patch

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have turned the ignition and after 3 days on the charger, it shows only 12,3V... and the bike is not even starting with this voltage.

I am good to change the battery :(
Just change the battery.

My SuperV has now been stood a few weeks in the current spell of hideous British weather and I checked the battery the other day and its sitting around 12.9v

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
How often do you connect the standard trickle charger?
I don't leave it on continuously (although I could) so gets hooked up once a month in the winter when I'm not riding it, for around 24 hours on a CTEK MXS 5.0.

This particular bike has no tracker fitted and the parasitic drain is otherwise very low. Voltage measured with a good Fluke DMM so I know it's accurate, and drop/load test the battery every so often too.

The bikes I have trackers fitted, need charging far more often depending on the size of the battery fitted. My BMW needs a top up every 2 weeks when it's not ridden. My Fireblade SP has the teeniest factory Li-Ion battery you have ever seen. Unless its ridden daily it needs a charge every week.

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019, Mv Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso 2020
215 Posts
What voltage should the battery show sitting idle. (Not at idle, just idle.) I have an '18 F3 800 with a new replacement engine (the original having dropped a valve and replaced under warranty) with a new Lithium battery the brand of which I do not know. The bike can be hard to start. Cranks and cranks but I don't let it. I'm wondering if it is cranking too slowly?
Hello!!
I am not sure where you live in the US....But....
A lithium battery needs to be "warmed up" for a proper crank !!!
If the ambient temperature is below 60-55 it is a good habit to turn the ignition on, put the hazard indicators on and press a brake to have some current literally warm the battery up for like 3-4 minutes.
I don't know how to explain it with technical terms but that is what you should do.
If you don't you put an IMMENSE EXTRA STRESS on the sprag which is already a kind of a critical part for the 800. (It seems fixed lately but better safe then sorry).
That is the main reason why a lithium battery IS NOT recommended for 3 cylinder platform....So I have been told.

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019, Mv Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso 2020
215 Posts
Interesting for I have owned six MV's over the last ten years, bikes not used over the winter months and never had the need to replace a battery, so they cannot all be that bad
I was talking about the charger....Not the battery....

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
My MVs live with the MV supplied tender hooked up at all times....for me the Yuasa batteries typically last 8 years.
My 2008 Brutale is on its second battery now.
My 2004 F4 is on it's second after the Shorai lithium that was in it when I bought the bike in 2011 died after one year.
Maybe the newer tenders aren't as good as the old black brick???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts