MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the beauty of the MV (especially the F4) only skin deep? Does that sinuous exterior belie the chassis and motor just below it?

Absolutely not!

I know that many of you would rather not risk taking your fabulous machines apart for fear of irreparable harm. But I have to tell you that you have no idea what you're missing. The assembly of the F4 is amazing.

The entire bike is well thought out, with an obvious thought toward maintenance and upkeep. Here's a short list of the examples:
Dezus faring fasteners
Quick release gas tank fuel lines
Quick release fuel lines into the injector rail
Front upper faring that comes off with TWO bolts
Very trick electrical connectors into the front mirror turn signals
Adjustable engine location! (has a plate just like the swing arm)
Super easy to remove rear cowl with a neat pin/cup pivot
Press fit (o-ring sealed) velocity stacks
AMP electrical connectors (very trick)

And that's just a small sample. Other things I noticed include: 8mm socket head used throughout (don't need a lot of different tools), bolts that you can actually reach while the motor is in the frame, pre-coded wiring, and so on.

This bike is truly amazing. Every time I pulled another part off I was like "Damn, that's a cool way to do that!" I'm so interested in this machine part of me wants to take the motor all the way down to the piston rings! Except for the fact that I couldn't ride it for a while. And that's really what this vehicle is for.

So, if you only ride it, just know that the beauty of this beast is not just skin deep!

Alex

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oicdn said:
They overlooked oil changes.....getting to the oil filter is a PITA.
ok. it's not perfect. lol.

another screw up is the use of the wellnuts in the airbox. talk about a dumb idea. there should be nothing that can fall apart or fall off that is past the airfilter.

the electrical connectors for the injectors are a bit tricky too, and of course people have been breaking the fuel connectors into the gas tank.

but compared to say a honda, this thing is a dream to work on.

alex

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
oicdn said:
They overlooked oil changes.....getting to the oil filter is a PITA.
i just changed my oil...no probs with the filter. maybe it's different on 1000? i know that i took the new filter to the local auto store and found a cap that would fit it. the just pop a ratchet on it and bam. outside of having to remove the fairings, and the little oil runnoff on the header pipes when you take the filter off...no big deal at all.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
^^ hahaha...whatever.

Yeah, the oil filter is a bit of a PITA to get to. On the Brutale...I can do it no problem. On the F4..you have to finagle(sp?) a wrench in there....and when we tried a cap type oil filter wrench...it didn't work out...go forbid it's on there too tight :laughing:

But the bike is pretty easy to work on...well, what I've had contact with...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's a pretty cool photo. i didn't think to take one like that. i still have the bike apart, so I could kinda do it, but now the throttle body is on there, so you'd be looking past the butterflys.

it's neat to look into the cyliinder that's got the valves open. just look VERY carefully! wouldn't want something to drop into there!

btw, for those of you that have the bike that far apart, i found that gerber baby food lids fit really well over the intake manifold holes.

alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
altoon said:
btw, for those of you that have the bike that far apart, i found that gerber baby food lids fit really well over the intake manifold holes.

alex
:laughing: I've always used duct tape, or a clean rag, but that sounds all right too.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
odonata said:
how did you know? getting ready to have a baby?

Practice helps.
baby jars are great for holding loose bits.

and yes, we are trying.

i suppose i could have wrote "an unused condom is great for covering the holes to the intake manifold". but i don't keep those in the garage... :naughty:

alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts