MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete failure, appears to be metal fatigue, new tail tidy and indicators now required and probably a new tyre.
Damage to the tail fairing which is disappointing.

At first I thought it was a tyre failure, fortunately two colleagues were following and they were able to go back and collect the remains.
Quiet ride home though, looking out for the police!!!

Will take up the problem with MV

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Holy shit...
Is it an alloy plate that broke or is it made od steel?
Typical design mistake - the bending of a thin sheet.

Yesterday I have dismount the original tail-tidy, I was shocked how heavy it is.
Think I will make my own design ;-)

·
Registered
570 Posts
That gets a big booooo. Sorry bro. Glad you are o.k. rest can be fixed. Might wanna try the ondgas edition tail tidy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Settle for nothing less than total replacement of affected parts.

Unacceptable for a complete failure where no impact has occurred.

Unless of course that gouge is where your tyre picked something off the road surface and shot it into the tail tidy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Holy shit...

Yesterday I have dismount the original tail-tidy, I was shocked how heavy it is.
It is the steel bracket that has broken, flat surface, no bends, definitely will require a new tyre, cut is down to the steel brace.
Have sent e-mail along with photos to EvolutionBike who I purchased the tail tidy from. It will be interesting to receive the response to the fault.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Settle for nothing less than total replacement of affected parts.

Unacceptable for a complete failure where no impact has occurred.

Unless of course that gouge is where your tyre picked something off the road surface and shot it into the tail tidy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
No convinced it was failure if the tail tidy that damaged the tyre

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
It looks like the hinge bolts between the plate and the holder came / were lose or they can't securely hold the plate holder in place. The scenario was probably that the plate holder moved down under the vibrations until it touched the wheel. That the sheet metal broke is likely the result of it. And I think the later is the good thing of the entire incident. Imagine it wouldn't have broken.
Now I think a little hole between the two parts, near to the hinges, filled with a little pin or bolt would avoid such disaster.
Nevertheless You have to inform MV Agusta (Dealer / Importer / Manufacturer) about it and they should revise their design to make it bullet proof. Compensation for the damage should be a no brainer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Bruce,
is this the first one originally delivered?
Mine was changed at the first service. My dealer said it was an order from MV to change it.
Have You done this too?

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
That's remarkable & certainly NOT in a good way. How long was it on the bike for? I installed one last tuesday on my bike.

I wonder if it's a one off (& you were the unlucky guy)??? or if the metallurgy is not up to scratch, which it certainly should not be at the price.

Keep us informed of what is goes on - thanks for posting and again sorry for what happened but glad you (personally) suffered no damage.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thanks Bruce, also those bolts in the pic, were they loosened in any way? I mean just from riding vibrations, did you test their tension when you got home?

I just went into the garage to look at mine, I can't believe that just sheared like that!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think then it was the original one which was changed on my bike end of June. But it should have been done to yours at the 1000km service

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Nylock hinge nuts and the tail tidy bolts to bike are 100% secure, no reason to cause the failure
Bruce the nylock nuts are keeping the bolts tight but do not prevent the sheet metal parts from twisting or slipping. As I said in my earlier post a second fastener (bolt, pin, punch hole, anti friction coating etc.) would prevent the holder from slipping towards the tyre.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Bruce,
is this the first one originally delivered?
Mine was changed at the first service. My dealer said it was an order from MV to change it.
Have You done this too?
You do realise that Bruce is not discussing the Standard carrier ?

Bruce the nylock nuts are keeping the bolts tight but do not prevent the sheet metal parts from twisting or slipping. As I said in my earlier post a second fastener (bolt, pin, punch hole, anti friction coating etc.) would prevent the holder from slipping towards the tyre.
I agree Ralph, you still need some thing to lock it in place.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Holy shit...

That was not thin plate Toni, and you can see it's Ally mate. That broke because it was grabbed by the back tyre. Pretty sure on that, time will tell won't it.:naughty:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts