MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering.

I'm on to my fifth MV now (yeah, 1000S, 312R, 1078RR, Brutale 1078RR) in just over three years, and I wonder if the attraction is starting to wane. I've got my 312R (2nd hand) up to "my" scratch now so it's more "my bike", and I'm sort of getting used to the white/black colour scheme (no red/grey 312R available in Holland at the time).

Could I ever change to, say, a ZX-10R (forget about the woos S1000RR)?

I'm not sure. Motorsikkels are emotion.

What do you guys feel?

·
Registered
456 Posts
you have to remember your interest may be waning because honestly most people don't get that many expensive bikes in a lifetime and you are fortunate enough to get some really nice bikes in the course of only 3 years. so its not surprising that the bikes may be getting a bit of "the same old same old".

have fun with them and if you feel the need to move to a different brand so be it, have fun in the process.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, actually. I don't (feel that need). Riding home from hospital and office today (that combination was the main reason to use the bike instead of the pushbike or the car; touching 125 mph on the ring road) I kept thinking about that question.

Yeah yeah, it's a bit coarse (ergal bar ends), it's unsuited to a lot of civilized traffic, it's not that comfortable.

But it's fast (ok; a Fireblade would be fast), só fast, that handling, the riding position,and só exhilarating.

Ahum.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garbage

Well I just put out the garbage (happens twice a week) and stood looking at my 312R for all of 10 (ten) minutes. My thoughts. Plenty.

There's no other bike like it. Look at those forms, the organ pipe exhausts and no, square pipes just don't cut it. Good try, but there you have it.

And yes, and I feel fortunate (but also wasteful) in having had four new MV's in three years. There's reasons, but they're neither here nor there.

This one I feel comfortable with, this one I'll stick with.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well I just put out the garbage (happens twice a week) and stood looking at my 312R for all of 10 (ten) minutes. My thoughts. Plenty.

There's no other bike like it. Look at those forms, the organ pipe exhausts and no, square pipes just don't cut it. Good try, but there you have it.

And yes, and I feel fortunate (but also wasteful) in having had four new MV's in three years. There's reasons, but they're neither here nor there.

This one I feel comfortable with, this one I'll stick with.
So you're planning on selling the other 4?

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Can you guess my point of view?

Hi Mike,

I am just trying to stay awake after my 20 hour flight from Atalanta (Bubbalicious) to Australia - got home 2 hours ago :jsm:

Let's just put this way - the day my MV attraction wanes will be the day I will be in a pine box, or if my family likes me, in a more expensive mahogany box. :laughing:

At Bubbalicious, I did about 500klms on a Triumph 675 Daytona as I had not ridden a triple previously (thanks for you kindness Mary) and I was hoping to get some insight into the F3 - all I can say is that I am now 1000 times more anxious than before for it to arrive!!!!!

Just to be absolutely clear - NO I can never change! :yo:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Mike, I agree with Rob. There are plenty of bikes that are cheaper, faster, easier, etc., but the overall heritage and sex appeal of a MV is unsurpassed in a contemporary motorcycle company.

Hi Mike,

I am just trying to stay awake after my 20 hour flight from Atalanta (Bubbalicious) to Australia - got home 2 hours ago :jsm:

Let's just put this way - the day my MV attraction wanes will be the day I will be in a pine box, or if my family likes me, in a more expensive mahogany box. :laughing:

At Bubbalicious, I did about 500klms on a Triumph 675 Daytona as I had not ridden a triple previously (thanks for you kindness Mary) and I was hoping to get some insight into the F3 - all I can say is that I am now 1000 times more anxious than before for it to arrive!!!!!

Just to be absolutely clear - NO I can never change! :yo:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have had days where I wonder why I have a motorcycle at all. After a long winter, when it's always raining, when I am out about with the wife and brining the bike is just not practical. I don't put many miles on my bikes. They have been expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and expensive when the weather is bad as I feel the need to piss money down the drain on mods. Then something happens....I ride the bike after not having done so for a while and I feel like a kid again and all the impracticality of owning a sportsbike fades away.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. I guess it depends on what is important to you in a bike. Performance? Looks? Exclusivity? Comfort? etc. The newer gen liter bikes are sooooo much lighter and faster than just a few years ago and offer a very different ride than I have ever experienced, whereas even the new F4 (beautiful as it may be) feels like an older gen liter bike in terms of size and acceleration. There are better performing bikes out there......so how important are looks and heritage for your needs? If they are very important you have your answer. If you deep down kind of wonder what the new zx10, rsv4, or bmw are like but afraid of being caught on a common/ugly bike I challenge you to go test ride one. What have you got to lose? You will find out really quickly whether or not your heart still belongs with MV.

For me get the beemer over 7K RPM and last thing on my mind is the headlights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike, I agree with Rob. There are plenty of bikes that are cheaper, faster, easier, etc., but the overall heritage and sex appeal of a MV is unsurpassed in a contemporary motorcycle company.
In a nutshell, sums up my sentiments perfectly...nothing compares:)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had days where I wonder why I have a motorcycle at all. After a long winter, when it's always raining, when I am out about with the wife and brining the bike is just not practical. I don't put many miles on my bikes. They have been expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and expensive when the weather is bad as I feel the need to piss money down the drain on mods. Then something happens....I ride the bike after not having done so for a while and I feel like a kid again and all the impracticality of owning a sportsbike fades away.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. I guess it depends on what is important to you in a bike. Performance? Looks? Exclusivity? Comfort? etc. The newer gen liter bikes are sooooo much lighter and faster than just a few years ago and offer a very different ride than I have ever experienced, whereas even the new F4 (beautiful as it may be) feels like an older gen liter bike in terms of size and acceleration. There are better performing bikes out there......so how important are looks and heritage for your needs? If they are very important you have your answer. If you deep down kind of wonder what the new zx10, rsv4, or bmw are like but afraid of being caught on a common/ugly bike I challenge you to go test ride one. What have you got to lose? You will find out really quickly whether or not your heart still belongs with MV.

For me get the beemer over 7K RPM and last thing on my mind is the headlights.
Because it's a sign of maturity not to want something different all the time, and to be content with what you've got?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, I'll offer you another take, fwiw.
I've had 3 MVs (750, 1000S and 312r) and the 312r (pearl and black, and modded to what I liked) was by far my favourite in terms of feeling and joy to ride. Yes, it wanted to kill me as much as to thrill me, but that was part of the attraction, and something I never got from any japanese bike. As for the looks.... well you can just stare at the thing and love it.
I've recently retired from bikes and sold the 312r simply because, for me, it was the 312r or nothing. Funnily enough, it's a content, peaceful feeling, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it mature!!:yo:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Because it's a sign of maturity not to want something different all the time, and to be content with what you've got?
I'd agree with that. I am tiring of the constant bike turnover in my garage. Part of the problem is always wanting the latest/greatest and having envy of those who do. Another issue is that I have never been able to test ride any bike I have had so I have purchased them all on reviews and looks alone. Usually I end up dissapointed in something. Now that I am out of Alaska that won't happen again and I hope to be more content with my decisions and not go to it blindly. I too feel kind of wasteful in how many bikes I go through. But it has been fun! Just wish I had the means to keep them all.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I love the 312R but in the area of design I just love the way everything has changed in the MY10 but it still looks like the earlier MV.

I did initially think the the 312R was better looking but getting to know the new one is so exciting as I compare old with new - I'll say once again that Morton did a great job!

This is my first new MV and I want to keep it pristine (others were demo models!!!) - I will never ride it in the rain hopefully, love the tyres on it (somebody a friend wants them for a swap!!! BS!)

The exhausts (square ends) are great.... love the sound!!!! Round is so oooolllllldddd!!!!!

Owning any other bike would be great but the MV has a character that would be hard to beat with a mass produced machine!

THOUGH!!!

When the 312R dropped its radiator bundle I for a moment thought it would be time for a KawiHondSuzYam!!!

BUT no got another one!!!

I also have bought them all without a test drive, so maybe i have bought just on heritage and looks alone!!!????

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Well, I'll offer you another take, fwiw.
I've had 3 MVs (750, 1000S and 312r) and the 312r (pearl and black, and modded to what I liked) was by far my favourite in terms of feeling and joy to ride. Yes, it wanted to kill me as much as to thrill me, but that was part of the attraction, and something I never got from any japanese bike. As for the looks.... well you can just stare at the thing and love it.
I've recently retired from bikes and sold the 312r simply because, for me, it was the 312r or nothing. Funnily enough, it's a content, peaceful feeling, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it mature!!:yo:
What's that about Jose? Something I missed? Please explain.

·
Registered
547 Posts
For me there will always be an MV in my possession I have own 4 japanese bikes but they do not compare to an MV. My goal is to expand my collection to include a brutale and few other bikes, but MV F4 will always be my favourite. It will never be my daily commuter bike but it will always be the bike I think of daily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts