MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ventured back on track after a 12 year lay off with a trip to Cartegena where I road my RC8 road bike.

As expected, fell in love with track riding again and at the tender age of 47, I really fancy a track bike again.

Trouble is, I'm not compelled to buy just any old Japanese track nail, I'd love an MV track bike.

My mates say I'm mad, and that I'm asking for trouble. Logic suggests that a Honkawamasuki is the best route, but the thought just leave me a bit flat.

What say you kids?

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
I do track days on my 2004 MV SPR 750 (in track livery of course, original body work removed). It is awesome and I have had no problems.
This is what MVs were really designed for !!

I did install a Microtec that transformed the performance, and I would suggest same if you get on an older 4 cylinder bike.

Tell your mates they are mad to think you are mad.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
Track DAy...on an MV?! Have you gone crazy....?

...I would NEVER.....

_K5C9579s.jpg

DSCN0011r.jpg

DSCN0019r.jpg

This one was in the rain!

DSCN0017.JPG

_K5C7774r.jpg

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Cant go wrong with a F3 675.
Cant go wrong with a F3 800.
Cant go wrong with Gen 1 F4.
Cant go wrong with Gen 2 F4.

You get the point. Get the MV.
As mentioned before, these are after all street legal supersport motorcycles. Designed for the track, "modified" to be legal on the street.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Just throwing in an opposite view. Why not 're-introduce' yourself to the track with, say, a Honda CBR 600 or Yamaha R6, both of which you could pick up for a song? Then you can graduate to an MV later on with the required knowledge of whether you'd prefer to go the 750, 800, or 1000cc route.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just throwing in an opposite view. Why not 're-introduce' yourself to the track with, say, a Honda CBR 600 or Yamaha R6, both of which you could pick up for a song? Then you can graduate to an MV later on with the required knowledge of whether you'd prefer to go the 750, 800, or 1000cc route.
Fair point and makes perfect sense. I love owning and working on cars/bikes and whatever I get will spend most of its life in the garage.

I open my garage and I see my MV and it makes me smile and I enjoy owning it. I like the thought of having a track bike I enjoy owning and feel enthused to work on.

Plus, I don't bounce as well as I once did........ caring about the bike will stop me getting giddy.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The guys with whom I ride on the track that enjoy themselves the most, ride the bikes they love on the track. The guys who ride things others tell them are sensible track bikes just don't seem to get as much joy out of track riding. YMMV. And no, I'm not asking for you guys who own MV's on the street and Jap bikes on the track to argue it. IDC.

·
Registered
383 Posts
F4 750SR -- The imperfect Track day bike .

I do at least a couple of track days each summer om my SR .. I get overtaken constantly by all the guys on their R6'es or CBR600'eds - But they all to a fault just leave their bikes on the stands in the paddock and come over to admire the SR and ask a 100 questions, and most say .. ahhh I wish I could afford one of those for trackdays :grin2:
I've made my own set of Carbon fairing parts, and fitted some sliders, but so far I've not dropped it, probably because of my "grandfather" speeds .. I ride trackdays purely for the pleasure of feeling the MV almost make its own way around the track, it's not fast, but its not slow either, and its a "riders bike" you have to work to make it go faster, but compared to the race-kitted CBR600 I've borrowed a couple of times, I'm faster on the MV -- it's just so incredibly stable and predictable, and even though mine has the original ECU, it is so smooth on the throttle .. By far the smoothest 600 or 750 superbike I've ever ridden. Next year I'll get some lighter wheels, with proper sticky Pirelli's I think .. As for reliability: Mine has now done 25000 km, with precicely 2 "faults": a dud spark plug and a burnt out starter solenoid ...

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
My 750 SPR has the prowess and power to keep up with, and pass, a lot of other more modern bikes on the track.... I don't however.

Sometimes the "Red Mist" will rise up and I go damn fast....but usually I just have fun at my own comfortable speed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have used all of the MV's I have owned on the occasional track day. They are very capable and the same goes for them as other bikes and cars..... look after them and they are fine.
I am not fast (only in my mind) but I like to enjoy the bikes at my limits and keep the rubber on the track.
If I start doing more track days I am with you, I can't bring myself to own a soulless bike. I have toyed with buying a MV just for track days as it would break my heart to see my road bike on its side.
I have a F4RC and I do think that I would probably get more out of a F3 800. The RC is a great bike but way better than me and too expensive to fully enjoy ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have an 2013 F4RR which I regularly take to the track, mainly Sepang but also heading to Chang International Circuit (north east Thailand) next month. I love the F4 on the track but it is far better than I am and I would say not the easiest bike to ride fast if lap times are what you are chasing.
I would love to try an F3 800 as I have a feeling it might be more fun, little easier to ride fast but then I am just guessing.

Basically I would say MV's make great track bikes, just look after them meticulously as you should anyway.

If I was starting from scratch a 2016+ F3 800 would be my starting point.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The MV (2nd gen F4) is awesome on the track and in the pit lane gets more looks than the Yams etc including the likes of HP4's as the MV is beautiful and rare.

Most of my life I raced the Japs mainly GSXR's they were cheap to maintain and parts are available and cheap. That made perfect sense to me, for trackdays where you aren't racing every few weekends and trying to win a race or championship, those arguments don't matter quite so much.

I have much more fun on the MV and I never feel the need to be the fastest R1 or GSXR on the track or session. I've never ridden on a trackday were there was another F4.

Red mist.. it's discipline, if you are going to be goaded in to a mistake, it doesn't matter what bike your on. I've had similar crashes where the bike is almost unharmed others where the bike digs in the gravel and barrel rolls. All bikes can be written off, the cost of repair for any new(ish) will be high.

Like the OP said, I get a huge smile from the MV more than any bike I've owned or raced. I was given one piece of advice for the MV, go at 85% race pace and 120% style. For example I hold wheelies over creasts for longer than I should, the more sky the better. Not the fastest way, but fun.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If it's what you enjoy, go for it. Just be prepared if it does go down the track, that it might be an expensive day. And I've seen people taking out and their bikes crashed through no fault of their own.

Sometimes parts can take time to get, so there is more potential of missing a day waiting on a part if you don't have a B bike. Or getting parts or tires changed at track might be harder as well.

But with all that said, I used to love tracking my Gen I F4 750 for the same reason. It's a great looking bike, capable and fun on track. I never had any problems with my bike, except maybe for the rear brake not working but that was more a tech thing.

Have fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts