MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it is possible to own a bike over 100HP in France. Have we got any French members and is it possible for French owners to get around this ?

joe

·
Registered
746 Posts
Joe, contact Alex, his forum name is Alkatraxx.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi gotojoe

In france, we are "legally" limited to 106cv exactly ....
(we are the only country which have any horse power restriction on motorcycle .... :( )

but in 2016, thanks to european law, we'll could get unlimited horse power on our bike !!!!!

;)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Hi gotojoe

In france, we are "legally" limited to 106cv exactly ....
(we are the only country which have any horse power restriction on motorcycle .... :( )

but in 2016, thanks to european law, we'll could get unlimited horse power on our bike !!!!!

;)
There is a quota system also and if importers/retailers achieve the allocation of a required number of 106cv bikes, grey imports are legal, so it's more a case of knowing how to circumvent the regulations Joe (I used to supply grey import Hondas and Ducatis throughout Europe when horsepower limits were introduced in the '90s)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Foreigners can ride with full power bikes there, it's not a problem ...but there are a lot of radars ...that's why the HDs and other panzer bikes are so numerous there....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Foreigners can ride with full power bikes there, it's not a problem ...but there are a lot of radars ...that's why the HDs and other panzer bikes are so numerous there....
right .... sadly right ...

There is a quota system also and if importers/retailers achieve the allocation of a required number of 106cv bikes, grey imports are legal, so it's more a case of knowing how to circumvent the regulations Joe (I used to supply grey import Hondas and Ducatis throughout Europe when horsepower limits were introduced in the '90s)
in France, all french owners are limited to 106cv .... there are no quota which allow you to ride a full power motorcycle ... otherwise it would be really great ....

for complete informations, the insurance verify the bike when a big crash happens .... if they discover that you ride in full power, insurance won't cover any material or physical damage ... it's like you never had any insurance contract .... i let you imagine the cost of a big crash which include medical cost and financial compensation if someone would be really hurt and imagine that you don't have any insurance for paying that ... it's you whose have to pay ! :jsm: :bawling:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
well that's just silly ... I'm not moving to France now, no way
Guess why I've been in Oz for 34 years :stickpoke:brutale:

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
right .... sadly right ...

in France, all french owners are limited to 106cv .... there are no quota which allow you to ride a full power motorcycle ... otherwise it would be really great ....

for complete informations, the insurance verify the bike when a big crash happens .... if they discover that you ride in full power, insurance won't cover any material or physical damage ... it's like you never had any insurance contract .... i let you imagine the cost of a big crash which include medical cost and financial compensation if someone would be really hurt and imagine that you don't have any insurance for paying that ... it's you whose have to pay ! :jsm: :bawling:
Must have changed the regulations, we sold thousands of full horsepower Hondas and Ducatis throughout Europe (incl France) in the
90s as grey market bikes

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wondering now, when was the regulation brought into force ? Were existing owners of bikes over this power limit given "grandfathers" rightsor were they forced to take these bikes off the road.

To date I haven't taken a bike over the home limit to France.Now I feel ike doing it just to make a point..

Vive la France !

joe

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I believe the 100hp limit was introduced on 1st January 1985.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Heard a story from my MV dealer last weekend.
He told me that the 100HP rule would be sacked this summer or after.
France is the only Euro country which claims this rule and get's according to him lot's of disregard in the Euro-zone. It doesn't make the homologation for new models a simple case for manufacturers....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quad turbo, what do you mean by "grey market bikes" ?
Maybe all the bike you had imported were re limited to 106cv by french dealer ?

I don't Know since when this law about HP limit were introduce but it's effectively a shame for us and an aberration with other EU country ...

The end of this law is annouced on 2016 ... Sadly No before ...

We should have any patience or accept the risk of riding a full power MV (my case ... This is no intelligent but after riding during 2 years a 106cv Brutale i décide to liberate it and i Never go back ... It's an another bike !)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Quad turbo, what do you mean by "grey market bikes" ?
Maybe all the bike you had imported were re limited to 106cv by french dealer ?

I don't Know since when this law about HP limit were introduce but it's effectively a shame for us and an aberration with other EU country ...

The end of this law is annouced on 2016 ... Sadly No before ...

We should have any patience or accept the risk of riding a full power MV (my case ... This is no intelligent but after riding during 2 years a 106cv Brutale i décide to liberate it and i Never go back ... It's an another bike !)

Must be heart breaking when you see English lads coming over on their MVs and Busas and R1s and giving it some.
I usually tour on a bike no more than 100HP.
I'm now inclined to take something a bit pokier :stickpoke :naughty:

So you couldn't have had one of these ?

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Only if you used it on tracks , you can got a full power with licence racer, that the only way left ; that 's why the track days are more and more organized nowadays..

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow! I just learned something new. Always have wanted to go to France - food/wine/sights - motorcycle ride around the eiffel tower - forget about it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts