MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what happened to one of the French MV forum members...

Rolling down the highway peacefully and all of the sudden it could sense some serious heat under his butt. He looks down and sees some big mama flames coming from somewhere down under.

He jumps off the bike and 5mn later this is what the bike looked like.

so much for not using our NIWI.

...just kidding :) Insurance should cover all damages. Basically buying him a new bike.

RIP...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Jesus glad that rider is alright! I second mrossk's question...any idea what the heck happened?!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Perhaps a fuel leak for a crushed coupling that actually ignited? I had a fuel leak on my 750 and actually rode home, smelt the fuel, took off the fairing, and saw the fuel dribbing down the hot engine.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
All you "my bike runs too hot winers," take note of this.

I'm glad his insurance will cover it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Holy Shit ! :jsm: That's sick ! My plastic fittings gave out and leaked some fuel. Man am I glad that wasn't me ! I'm glad he's ok :yo:

·
Registered
20 Posts
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14261 :flamethro

Here is the link to my Mv that caught fire it was a 2005 F4 1000S 1+1, there is another guy in Germany that had the same model and year same thing also another boy that worked for Atlanta Triumph Ducati at the service counter had his catch fire. I know my insurance paid for mine, also I believe they won the case when they went after their money. Maybe there might be a issue here who knows, was his bike a 1000 also? We all know our bikes run extremely hot :freezing: Lee has made some great posts to cool the bike with a 3rd fan, also some others have used ceramic coating on pipes and headers to cool it. I am glad just like many others that the rider is okay. Also since my fire I do not keep anything under my seat I.E the repair kit, papers for bike or anything that might have a lower flash point than what was built on the bike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like a pretty serious oil or fuel trail down the shoulder all the way to the burning bike! Something let loose and let out a big volume of flammable fluid that got back to the pipes. That makes for a very bad day!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It has nothing to do with bike runing hot-cooling issue , Its the plastics fuel fitting that snaps and let the fuel leak onto the hot engine. It takes highly flamable liquid to do something like this . No electrical short can cause something like this ( pics) It has happened to me but I was also the lucky one and cought it before it cought fire!!! It can happen to any bike with plastic fuel fittings. Change the fuel fiting for a metal ones !!!

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
It takes a spark to ignite fuel--not just heat alone. The fumes need a spark.

I wonder if the seat foam ignited. Many closed cell foams have gasses trapped in their structure. Excessive heat near foam could cause combustion. Foam once burning, quickly intensifies. Hummm--aftermarket seat? --just think outload....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Heat alone will ignite fuel. That's what happens when the engine "knocks" or in other words when the fuel in the combustion chambers ignite before the plug sparks.
Also, try pouring some fuel on a hot frying pan and you'll see :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Heat alone will ignite fuel. That's what happens when the engine "knocks" or in other words when the fuel in the combustion chambers ignite before the plug sparks.
Also, try pouring some fuel on a hot frying pan and you'll see :)
That's what I thought when I noticed fuel had been trickling on my engine for a few mintues, however, there is a temperature (autoignition temperature) when fuel can ignite spontaneously. For gasoline, the autoignition temperature is at least 246 °C (475 °F). I'm just not sure if the surface of the engine can reach over 475 degrees though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

·
Registered
986 Posts
that caliper looks mint- i hope he doesn't declare that burn too :)

Glad he's ok....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I thought when I noticed fuel had been trickling on my engine for a few mintues, however, there is a temperature (autoignition temperature) when fuel can ignite spontaneously. For gasoline, the autoignition temperature is at least 246 °C (475 °F). I'm just not sure if the surface of the engine can reach over 475 degrees though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point
true that, but the brakes often come close to this temperature.
Anyway, luckily the guy is safe...But it seems that MVs taking fire is not a rare thing :wtf:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts