MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
History has just been made as Lee Johnston completely destroys the opposition and smashes lap records in the 350 Classic TT today on his 350 cc 3 cylinder Black Eagle Racing machine.

Johnson wins the race by 45 seconds, with a last lap of over 104 mph.

From memory the last MV Agusta win on the TT course was in 1972 when Ago won both the Senior and the Junior TT.

Fantastic!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
That is awesome Ade !
Congratulations to Lee and Black Eagle Racing !
Sure it was not Grand Prix race but still an historic achievement.
We need a high res action photo of Lee and the MV.
Now how fast was Ago last time?

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is awesome Ade !
Congratulations to Lee and Black Eagle Racing !
Sure it was not Grand Prix race but still an historic achievement.
We need a high res action photo of Lee and the MV.
Now how fast was Ago last time?
The point is that he was racing against the best of the best both riders and machines, this wan't some 'half-ass' parade it was full-on balls out racing with no holes barred.

Ago won the Senior in 1972 at 104mph

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Events/Races.aspx?meet_code=TT72&race_seq=10

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Ade I mean't it was not a Grand Prix win in the Worldchampionship.
Nevertheless I know that this is a great achievement of Lee and the team.
Especially since I thought that the Paton was there a favourite.
So a much younger machine.
I'm really impressed by the result and I would never have thought that this could be happen.
Well I didn't even knew that there was an MV Agusta on the grid.
Sure we have to admit that 42 years of tire development made it somwhat easier to go with 104mph around the track, I would say.
Ago was an amazing rider as Mike was.
Still I'm really deeply impressed and must admit that this is, out of the blue, a glorious moment in MV history.
I wonder what gentlemen like Arturo Magni and Lucio Castelli think about it.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its truly sad that this historical achievement has clearly has meant very little to most people on this board other than just a handful of folk.

Sure its a new built MV Agusta 350/3, but lets be honest, it was still competing against other contemporary bikes based on the originals, all of which have taken full advantage of modern technology whilst competing on the most demanding race course in the world.

The fact is the old MV design still kicked ass and the orchestra playing from the 'zorts' give me a 'chubby' for the rest of the day.

Sadly it might be just a case of 'If you weren't there you'll never know'

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Best MV Agusta news since I first threw a leg over a 750 Sport in late 1972....thanks very much Ade, you're a legend. I wish I was on the Island to see history in the making. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a modern MV winning at the TT next year. :stickpoke :)

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best MV Agusta news since I first threw a leg over a 750 Sport in late 1972....thanks very much Ade, you're a legend. I wish I was on the Island to see history in the making. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a modern MV winning at the TT next year. :stickpoke :)
The bike. :yo:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I doubt they will mate, they had a lengthy court case against the kayes for using the mv name some time back.
Learning more about the bike and seeing the Kayes web page is putting a different light on it.
The win with a seventies design motorcycle is great and proves that MV did build great machines back in the day.
Sure what the Kayes do is impressive but than again somewhat questionable.
I have no idea of what the Kay bikes are costing, but I could easily imagine to run their bikes in Spa or on other track days for fun.
I was here initially under the impression that we saw here a win of a rebuild MV Agusta four, or was it a three, which was run back in the days by Ago, Read, Bonera or Toracca.
To call this bike an MV Agusta and the win an historic win for MV Agusta is frankly said a fraud.
I feel cheated on this, sorry!
If they would have called the bike a Kay 350 MV replica and run it without MV logos, I would have swallowed it.
But so it has a bitter taste and I guess not only for me.
The history book of the Classic TT is damaged.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Learning more about the bike and seeing the Kayes web page is putting a different light on it.
The win with a seventies design motorcycle is great and proves that MV did build great machines back in the day.

To call this bike an MV Agusta and the win an historic win for MV Agusta is frankly said a fraud.
I feel cheated on this, sorry!
You have checked out the originality of most of the G50's 7R's and Manx Norton's that are competing all around the world in classic events and thrilling the crowds then?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
You have checked out the originality of most of the G50's 7R's and Manx Norton's that are competing all around the world in classic events and thrilling the crowds then?
No I didn't Adrian.
And it doesn't matter what the rest of the competition is doing, that isn't repairing the damage.
But what You are saying here is that the whole show is fake.
That likely someone fielding an original bike is ending up dead last.
And the crowd is thrilled.
Wow!

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The past is the new future!!

No I didn't Adrian.
And it doesn't matter what the rest of the competition is doing, that isn't repairing the damage.
But what You are saying here is that the whole show is fake.
That likely someone fielding an original bike is ending up dead last.
And the crowd is thrilled.
Wow!
Those that compete in classic racing who want to win will of course take any technological advantage open to them which is permitted and within the rules.

Nothing has changed in that respect from the days the originals were racing. The Kays MV 3 is a work of art and looks and sounds exactly as it should, I can't see what the problem is?

There are also those few who want to enter their old original machines but have no aspirations of winning.

Michael Dunlop was riding an XR69 Suzuki in the senior classic. it was brand spanking new with a water-cooled 1250 bandit engine producing nearly 180 bhp!!
Bruce Anstey kicked his ass on a 2 stroke YZR 500 Yamaha, which is in all respects a genuine 1992 bike. He won at record pace winning by some 40 seconds, he backed it off considerably, it was poetry in motion.

Its the sounds and the sight of these machines that turn people on Haupti, at least they are proper racing bikes 'built for purpose' unlike the bull-shit boring road based machines that litter racetracks all over the world these days.

Unless you were here you'll never really know. This was the third year the classic TT has been run, its a fantastic addition to the race calender over here that is attracting HUGE crowds when all things are considered and becoming more popular as the years pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts