MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals the name is nathan. i about two months ago joined the mv agusta.net on october 23 ,2007 purchased my mv agusta ( immaculate 2002 mv agusta f4 strada "diamante" 750 mono ,not 1+1) less than 1,900 miles on it for about 12,500 usd. i live in the usa texas dallas to be exact . OKAY HERE IS THE HONEST TRUTH AND CONCERNS I HAVE PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE. Im currently 22 male straigt (not that it matters). Anyways i have absolutely NO motorcyle driving nor maitenance experience whatsoever at all other than what ive seen and read. (please keep in mind that the bike has been bought so there no turning back now). you may be asking yourself if ive riden it around the block, road, or empty parking lot the answer to that is NO. I have however turned it on and sat on it (Lame I Know). the truth is im a very calmed relaxed person so ill ride it when the time is right . next month in december i will be taking a motorcycle driving course to better prepare myself ive bought a battery tender and motorcycle cover for it. ive maid countless RESEARCH before and after the bike . Was getting a candy red 2007 r1 but dealers and people told me it was suicide and full coverage insurance at my age with no bad history no lying was a little over $8,000 for a daytona 675 $3,500 and for my PRECIOUS MV to be exact ($2126.00). one major cocern i have is that i weight roughly around 137 lbs and the bike well yall know. WELL WOULD REALLY LIKE FEEDBACK FROM ALL OF YALL WHETEVER IT BE TIPS, POINTERS, COMMENTS , CRITIZING ALSO WELCOMED. i know its alot of bike but.... . One more more thing you can watch a crummy video i posted on youtube type in ( mv agusta strada ) and it should pop up . will post more thanks to all and safe riding God Bless!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Congrats on the bike, as for the advice, I am clueless, because I myself am yet to ride a bike. I will probably start with an 85cc, move up to a 250, and after time to a 600. I would never start on an MV, but that's just me (I'm not going to say it can't be done, because I'm sure it can).

·
Registered
194 Posts
The safety course is a good idea! I however learned on a dirt bike as a kid thru my teens. Got a streetbike at around 20(amazed im still here),sold it shortly after and didn't start again til i was 30. When I started riding again it was mostly backroads and parking lot(about 3 months worth)til I really got comfortable. Even now 5 yrs later i still have alot to learn so take the class and take it slow...you have an incredible machine,good luck and congrats!

When you do get out and about come on up to Altus,OK and I'll show you life in the SLOW lane! LOL

·
Registered
689 Posts
My advice:

Get a small bike and learn to ride. Once you know how to ride reasonably well, take an advanced riding course at a race track.

The MV behaves wonderfully and does exactly what you tell it. Until you can tell it precisely what you want, it won't be any fun, and can easily put you on your head. That, and the first inevitable tipover or minor spill will cost you thousands.

There are many decent starter bikes, but here's a few suggestions:

Kawasaki Ninja 250 - don't laugh: they're not powerful, but you'll be able to learn good cornering technique
Suzuki GS 500 - low tech, controllable, yet still capable

Here are two that are decent as-is, but with some work can be made quite entertaining:
Kawasaki Ninja 500 (also known as EX-500)
Suzuki SV 650

Welcome to the MV community. I hope your stay is long and enjoyable.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Congrats and nice bike!:yo:

I highly recommend the the safety class. Best money I have ever spent on or for a motorcycle. Plus you should get insurance benefits from taking it as well. Go at your own pace and don't worry what everybody else is riding like.

But most of all HAVE FUN!!!:f4:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
B.Harris said:
+1 Lizzardo that new Kawi 250 is nice!
I have my eyes on the previous generation one (the zzr looking one). I tried sitting on one about a month ago, and it fit me perfectly (I'm 5'5", and I could touch the floor with one foot completely flat, and the other slightly less than flat). I was told that since I have no experience with motorcycle riding, I should first start with something like an 85cc, so that's probably what I will do.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd start with a GSXR1000 or an R1. Good first bikes. Make sure you wear shorts and a t-shirt with flip-flops. Try and go as fast as you can. :yo:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nice Bike...if the R1 was 'suicide', then I see you settled for 'self mutilation':stickpoke

Seriously, take lizzardo's advice. If you are as calm and relaxed as you say, then you will not mind taking the time to learn a little before cutting sick on the MV.

Good luck, you have a beaut bike. Looking forward to hearing about how you get on.:)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well...in case I may add my own experience here:

I bought a Honda CBR F4i (600cc) right after I got my license. However, I made my license in Germany which requires taking a driving school and a certain amount of lessons on the bike including riding at night, on the highway etc.

One year later I switched to a Honda CBR 600RR (600cc) and rode this until I moved to the United States.

At this time, I hardly had ridden either bike due to my job (and the bad weather in Germany). I probably accumulated around 2,000 miles on both bikes combined.

Now...over here (and having paused for one year) I bought myself a GSX-R 750 this year which now has a little bit over 2,100 miles on it getting ready for the winter sleep. At this point I am looking into selling this bike since I somehow not a Suzuki guy.

To summarize...yes, I am one of the 600cc starters. Did I hurt myself? So far...no. Never dropped a bike, never crashed...knock on wood. Nonetheless, there were the one or another tough curve which I underestimated a little bit...again I managed to come off clean in these cases...and they were never really close to the edge.

Would I recommend a 600cc bike as a beginner? Overall, probably not. I consider myself still some kind of "advanced" novice. I can ride but probably be considered an overall slow rider. However, riding fast through the canyons is in my point of view rather based on the trust you have in your bike and certainly I trust some bikes more than others. For example, the switch from the F4i to the 600RR pretty much increased my curve speed by some magnitude since it was so much easier to ride.

BUT....keep in mind that I came from a different angle...before you actually get your license in Germany you pretty much learn to ride under instruction which makes a huge difference to the 16 year old that applies for a permit and starts training on his just-bought 1000cc bike... :banghead:

Although this is a difference it certainly does not invalidates the points I made earlier...your personality also plays quite some role. It certainly will not prevent you from natural laws (twisting the throttle for half an inch results in quite a different result on a 250cc, 600cc, 750cc or 1000cc bike). But personality can give you the understanding of these thing and thus provides the necessary respect.

At the end of the day....it comes down to the following: Many have tried to start on a bigger bike....some have managed it, some have not and some are dead...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
You will never be as good a rider as you should be or need to be by starting on a heavier more powerful bike.

A ninja 250 is a good starter, even a good bike. You can buy a used one, ride it for a year or 2 (at least) and sell it without losing too much money.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I started on a dirt bike, many years ago. I suggest you get a crummy dirt bike (they can be had for next to nothing) to learn on. I took a few tumbles at first, but it didn't hurt so much to fall in the dirt.

You will need to learn how to instinctively handle the bike in sudden situations (and there will be a few, trust me), and that just takes a lot of "seat time" to get comfortable with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen beginner riders confuse the gas/clutch/brakes in an emergency .... which ended up with them landing on their asses (or worse).One tumble on your MV in the street could be your first and last.

+1000 on the Motorcycle Safety Course. Please be safe --- not only for yourself, but for us, too. :stickpoke

Is this you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXu7Mzw_S6g

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
G.Rand said:
I started on a dirt bike, many years ago. I suggest you get a crummy dirt bike (they can be had for next to nothing) to learn on. I took a few tumbles at first, but it didn't hurt so much to fall in the dirt.

You will need to learn how to instinctively handle the bike in sudden situations (and there will be a few, trust me), and that just takes a lot of "seat time" to get comfortable with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen beginner riders confuse the gas/clutch/brakes in an emergency .... which ended up with them landing on their asses (or worse).One tumble on your MV in the street could be your first and last.

+1000 on the Motorcycle Safety Course. Please be safe --- not only for yourself, but for us, too. :stickpoke
+100,000

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
fazer6 said:
You will never be as good a rider as you should be or need to be by starting on a heavier more powerful bike.
This argument always pops up...I still question that to some extend...in my eyes this is just a too broad statement. People always tend to paint the scenario as either white or black...but certainly there are variations...

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
nathan, guess it depends what you feel comfortable and safe on, personnally myself I started of with scramblers on farms, when young

then at age 16 - suzuki AP50
then at age 17 Yam LC 250 and quickly onto LC 350
then at 18 it was the Katana 1000

many guys start off now with a 600, and some good 600's that handle well, if you get a good 2nd hand bike, you can build your confidence, have a shot of your F4 now and then
do all your day to day stuff on the 600 (or what you choose) and swap over depending on how you progress, everyone adapts differently and at there own pace so it really depends on your confidence.

one thing I would definately advise you get for the F4
if not already fitted: http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/f4crash.htm

hope you enjoy that bike
and dont be too eager to rush in

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
yeah, i agree, the R1 is a great bike. I think if you went for the raven one instead of the red, the insurance will come down a bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
G.Rand said:

Is this you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXu7Mzw_S6g
yea thats my MV ill try to post better pics and videos. G.Rand

·
Registered
507 Posts
I started on a cagiva mito 125, had it for 2 months then bought the f4 750. I was learning on the 125 and still am, i dont think i will ever stop learning. I have only been riding for 2 years so was pretty much in the same boat as you, not alot of know about the bikes. But like others have said, it comes down to you and how you attack it. I also have a 999 as well and i love them both but i still cant get the knee down :bawling: . Enjoy :) :moped:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts