MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen this on their bike ?? This is odd.

·
Super Moderator
23,929 Posts
First observation is that this individual does not understand how a brake master cylinder operates.

The kink should not be there, but I don't think it is a common issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First observation is that this individual does not understand how a brake master cylinder operates.

The kink should not be there, but I don't think it is a common issue.
Obviously the kink should not be there. No one needs your condescending attitude tho. I am only asking if others have had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,929 Posts
That's not condescending. It is observation for truth that someone else might believe the misinformation.

Lighten up.

Or is that you in the video?

·
Super Moderator
23,929 Posts
I will say that you came up with a novel solution.
Your brake bleeding technique was sound for a non-ABS bike (Prior to 2014).
The rear caliper must be removed and inverted to remove all of the air.
Do you have the manual for this bike?

Reactions: ridethe6

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not condescending. It is observation for truth that someone else might believe the misinformation.

Lighten up.

Or is that you in the video?
Yes this is my video. You comment sounds condescending. You should read it again.
I do not suggest I am a master motorcycle mechanic, but I do fix my own stuff, not my first bike, nor my last.

I am not trying to explain the operation of the master brake cylinder. And yes I do know how it functions but thank you.
Perhaps I mis-spoke or something in the video, but as an admin you should know that comment is not acceptable, you assume too much.

Cause = Kinked brake hose. Why ? Don't know. Factory defect ?
Effect = Leaking brake fluid at reservoir, and low brake fluid for whatever reason, and no rear brakes.
Why? How. I don't care. But I am smart enuf to know that they are all related.
Brake pads checked, still within spec as well.
Hope the problem is resolved. Bike still not fully assembled as I am having the Exhaust Valve error now too.

Yes we removed the rear caliper and pretty sure it was still inverted. Line also full of air which I know is the common problem.
Not sure if there has been a full time solution yet tho.

Yes I also have the manuals I believe. Will double check the bleeding portion.
If you feel the link belongs in a different section, move it at your liking. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,929 Posts
Yes this is my video. You comment sounds condescending. You should read it again.
I do not suggest I am a master motorcycle mechanic, but I do fix my own stuff, not my first bike, nor my last.

I am not trying to explain the operation of the master brake cylinder. And yes I do know how it functions but thank you.
Perhaps I mis-spoke or something in the video, but as an admin you should know that comment is not acceptable, you assume too much.

Cause = Kinked brake hose. Why ? Don't know. Factory defect ? ( The "cause" of your issue is not a kinked brake hose; the issue is a kinked brake hose. THe hose is still functioning as intended by the indication of lowering volume in the reservoir as the brakes are used.)
Effect = Leaking brake fluid at reservoir, and low brake fluid for whatever reason, and no rear brakes. (There is no effect from the kinked hose. The leaking at the brake reservoir is standard for all braking system as time passes when the seals aren't periodically inspected and cleaned. As brake pads wear, the fluid reservoir level goes down. It is a small volume reservoir, so a small change in brake pad "volume" shows a significant change in reservoir volume. The 'No Rear Brake" syndrome has been well discussed in various threads. It is a combination of master cylinder location (heat on the F3...not on the B3) and the low height of the reservoir. )
Why? How. I don't care. But I am smart enuf to know that they are all related.
Brake pads checked, still within spec as well. (Within spec, yes. Worn to some extent, certainly. This equals a change in brake reservoir volume....lower.)
Hope the problem is resolved. Bike still not fully assembled as I am having the Exhaust Valve error now too.

Yes we removed the rear caliper and pretty sure it was still inverted. Line also full of air which I know is the common problem. (As I watched your video, I noticed that you introduced a large volume of air to the system by the method with which you filled and bled the system. Because of the configuration and your chosen method of removing the reservoir I don't think this could have been avoided. However, there was probably not a large volume of air in the system prior to doing the maintenance. It is hard to tell because you didn't do a simple fill and bleed as a check for system integrity before disassembly.)
Not sure if there has been a full time solution yet tho. (For the non-ABS systems, providing heat shielding to the master cylinder (on the F3...not the B3) seems to work as does relocating the reservoir higher on the bike to provide more fluid head to the system. This can be done by a simple "capped hose" method as many competition bikes emply.)

Yes I also have the manuals I believe. Will double check the bleeding portion.
If you feel the link belongs in a different section, move it at your liking. Thanks.
Please expand the above quoted comment to see individual responses to the statements made in that quote. My comments are in RED and the OP's quoted post was left in BLACK.

Now, I didn't come in here intentionally to gun you down. I did make a comment to which you immediately took offence and I will here explain my comment: Unless there is a significant issue with the ports within your brake Master Cylinder, it is essentially a Positive Displacement Pump with unidirectional flow by design. Fluid flow is from the reservoir to the caliper. If a master cylinder is pushing flow into the reservoir on actuation...which is what your words imply you believe to be a problem with this particular bike...then the reservoir level would be high and you would be looking at a new master cylinder or at least a rebuild of the system. Even with complete seal failure, the system would not pump fluid from the caliper to the reservoir. Yes, the system does vent any introduced air or volume changes due to heat back to the reservoir, but that is when the system is at rest and all internal porting functions as designed.

Here is one link that does a pretty good job of explaining owner's issues with the 3-Cylinder braking systems and what has been tried in order to mitigate the issues: 3-Cylinder Platform Rear Brake Issues

If you are going to post a video to a public forum and invite comment, don' t be surprised when some of those comments don't support your beliefs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As I said maybe I misspoke in the video these things happen.

Again I am not perfect, but feel free to post your own videos. I would love to see them.
I will check your link. Over and out !

But I should add this bike only has about 8,000km on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts