MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to upgrade the exhaust on my MV Agusta and remove the CAT but want to keep the 3pipe look anyone help me on what exhaust is best and possibly where to buy from?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hi tom, welcome along.

I suggest you make yourself a pot of tea, get a big tin of biscuits and start reading through this......

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showpost.php?p=594977

Personal preference is the FM exhaust for me, had one on my Brutale, sounded amazing but they are all pretty loud which may be an issue for you especially if you want to take your bike on track days and the circuits have noise limits, (the standard pipe struggles to pass limits tbh). In the end I sold mine on with the bike as its noise level began to get on my tits.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Couple of suggestions

1) Zero looks brilliant used the system with both my previous F3's.
db registers [email protected] and [email protected]

2) QD another quality pipe have just fitted to the RC, db [email protected] with killers in. You can then remove either one, two or all three

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom.
Have a look in the Market place at forum sponsors and also in the For Sale section, pipes come and go secondhand every now and again. And for idea's in the link to the Performance section as already suggested.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Choices for three pipes are (from what I've found):

FM Projects, QD, Silmoto, Bodis and Zero. Have a google. HP Corse did an amazing looking prototype three pipe system, but that has yet to materialise.

As said above the standard pipe struggles for track day noise limits. If you want to ditch the CAT, I believe you need to change the headers. This could make the bike LOUD.

But awesome.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Have a google. HP Corse did an amazing looking prototype three pipe system, but that has yet to materialise.
I think you'll find that you might be wrong, as I believe some guys already have them, I know dealers are offering for sale already.

As said above the standard pipe struggles for track day noise limits. If you want to ditch the CAT, I believe you need to change the headers. This could make the bike LOUD.
Ditching the cat does not make the bike much louder compared to ditching the silencers.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Here it is guys, easy fit and very pleased with the build quality and sound. Loud but not offensive loud, will only get me a tug if I were to be foolish around town.

Love the pops and growl on the overrun, highly addictive, and using the q/s and hearing the pop on the shift is very good.
Follow that link.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think you'll find that you might be wrong, as I believe some guys already have them, I know dealers are offering for sale already.
Really? I thought they were still in limbo. Definitely one of the best looking pipes out there, pricey though?

Ditching the cat does not make the bike much louder compared to ditching the silencers.
I always thought that De-Catting made things louder?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Really? I thought they were still in limbo. Definitely one of the best looking pipes out there, pricey though?
I always thought that De-Catting made things louder?
Hahaha, the "cat" is not a silencer, the bike is louder when it's removed, but not nearly us much as removing the silencers mate.
Did you have a look through the exhaust thread in the Performance section, I know it's big but it's worth the giggles ?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Having a bit of a read now. The Hydro Tre does look stunning. Probably way out of my price though! I'm having a Zero fitted at service next week (along with some carbon and new tyres). I am considering new headers if I can get them in time.

I'm generally going off car experience with the CATs. Friends with TVR's had a fairly large increase in noise when they removed the CATS and pre-cats off their RV8's. I guess the CATs on bikes are small enough not to make a big difference.

This is good news as I'm currently trying to sneak the Zero on without the OH noticing, if I can get headers, maybe it won't be so loud.....(I think I'm totally going to get busted as she does know the bike quite well.)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
This is good news as I'm currently trying to sneak the Zero on without the OH noticing, if I can get headers, maybe it won't be so loud.....(I think I'm totally going to get busted as she does know the bike quite well.)

Oh she'll know :D unless you do an Axel Foley and stick a banana up the tailpipe :D

Jimbo on her has got the HP Tre pipe, he had to wait quite some time for it to arrive though?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Having a bit of a read now. The Hydro Tre does look stunning. Probably way out of my price though! I'm having a Zero fitted at service next week (along with some carbon and new tyres). I am considering new headers if I can get them in time.

I'm generally going off car experience with the CATs. Friends with TVR's had a fairly large increase in noise when they removed the CATS and pre-cats off their RV8's. I guess the CATs on bikes are small enough not to make a big difference.

Without doubt you are, I can see an expensive present coming on in order to pacify the boss:ahhh::ahhh:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
FWIW, removing the cat by installing headers does increase the noise significantly. I have headers matched to FM Project silencers on my track bike. With the silencers only the noise is loud but certainly acceptable. Adding the headers kind of put it over the top.
It is fine for track riding, but I would hate it for street riding!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
FWIW, removing the cat by installing headers does increase the noise significantly. I have headers matched to FM Project silencers on my track bike. With the silencers only the noise is loud but certainly acceptable. Adding the headers kind of put it over the top.
Fully understood and agreed Balz, do you think/agree that doing only the headers is less of a change than changing the silencers ?
I suppose there are quite a few variables one would have to look at or consider, I certainly felt removing brought about a pitch change in the sound, maybe this is enhanced by the aftermarket silencers ?
Speaking from my experience with the old bikes only, removing the cat and keeping standard tailpipes made very little difference in sound.
When I swapped headers out for a guy on his Brutale 675, it did make more of a difference, but still not thaaat much. I put it down to the fact that the standard pipes is down close to you as apposed to the F4 pipes being far to the rear.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You are lucky to say that for track though. To get a bike to pass on track here you need to get it measuring about the same level as a Honda i10 generator :bawling:

My Dragster reads 103 with a standard pipe (So mv say) and yet the good majority of tracks in the UK are 102 max, some are 101 and even 98!!

Causes massive problems and bikes are strangled alot of the time

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts