would make sense

·
Super Moderator
21,780 Posts
The original Elephant was Cagiva, no?

·
Super Moderator
21,780 Posts
Well, I guess if I had read the article instead of relying on my impeccable memory, then I probably would not have rung in.
All of my thoughts were expressed in that article.
I guess my brain isn't completely addled.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes it was a Cagiva and I remember test riding one in 93 before I bought a 885 red tiger (triumph) ? my memory is fine on motorcycle related issues, fine looking horse

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I expect it to be based on a TV with spoked rims, suspension and engine tweaks to suit. Hopefully similar price to the Tiger 900 and lighter. Wonder if they will change the firing order like the new T-plane crank on the Triumph.

Will definitely be a looker if previous MV's designed by Adrian are anything to go by. Cant wait as I am in the market for a middle weight adventure bike.

·
Registered
624 Posts
MV has a lot of catching up to do, this is a very competitive segment. The new Triumph Tiger 900 is much improved from the 800 which was a very good bike at a good price. I am happy and encouraged that MV is getting into the game and look forward to see what they come up with. It would seem that the way to go is to produce both a street bais and a off road bias versions.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I expect it to be based on a TV with spoked rims, suspension and engine tweaks to suit. Hopefully similar price to the Tiger 900 and lighter. Wonder if they will change the firing order like the new T-plane crank on the Triumph.

Will definitely be a looker if previous MV's designed by Adrian are anything to go by. Cant wait as I am in the market for a middle weight adventure bike.
Maybe something like this:

This MV Agusta Trail Veloce is a Turismo Veloce prepared by Recchia Moto (new MV Agusta dealer in France, Lyon area, former BMW dealer). There is quite a bunch of work done here. Parts should be available as kit later in march this year.
(Picture has been taken from here: MV Agusta en mode Aventure! - R. RECCHIA-Motos)
I discussed with the dealer about it, he told me that riding the TV he noticed it could be a good basis for it and did modded accordingly. Improvement are not limited to cosmetics : EMC fork and rear shock, engine map, sprocket, exhaust modified to enhance the ground clearance, ....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sorry Ducati
Well, technically, Elefant was a Cagiva. With a Ducati engine, yes, but a Cagiva first. Further, Cagiva was the mothership at that time. Ducati was property of Cagiva. You may even assume that Ducati Monster and Ducati 916 were infants from CRC (like the Cagiva Mito, by the way :-D). Ducati was then sold at some point. CRC then commited the F4. While Cagiva spa was renamed later on MV Agusta spa, CRC name is still there, and Cagiva remained the mothership at least for some time. While Ducati can say they provide the engine of the Elefant, they can't pretend to own that name... Ultimately, I guess Timur may be concerned about the Ducati Desert X concept presented during last EICMA with a neo design based on Cagiva Elefant and Lucky Strike colourscheme reminders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts