MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only once complaint so far...

Why did MV have to use the START button to manipulate the computer? Why not use the HL flasher or just a button on the dash? The bike runs hot enough as it is, I don't need to let it sit there idling just to set the clock or reset the trip meters, neither of which I've figured out how to do yet. I did read it in the owners manual a few times, but when I actually get on the bike I manage to forget.

Any one else have any complaints about their MV?

·
Registered
180 Posts
My engine would stall on mine when downshifting with clutch fully engaged during each shift (without engine braking). It did it the first weekend I got it and once a couple weeks after that, but it hasn't done it since (2 months). :wtf:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cleaning the wheels!
How do you get in the hollows of the spokes? I don't have the patience or digital dexterity to scrub with a fine brush...

Amen on the computer functions...silliest position to put it. On that, maybe a separate clock/odo display (instead of scrolling). A lot of people bag it, but I liked the old Aprilia RSV/RS125/250 clocks in its ergonomics (nice and clear)

Brakes are prob another gripe for me...Brembo's efforts are far better in overall performance (hmm...upgrade :grin: )

And mirrors! How are you supposed to watch for chasing cops???

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yep, has to be the mirrors, look beautiful but are about as useless as offering the Pope a condom. :p Why not a rear mounted camera instead, which are being used in more and more makes of car these days?

The warning lights in the instrument console aren't great either, sidestand and neutral light for example.

Steering lock when manouvering outside the pub (nearly dropped it once or twice).

But I am being picky, F4's are beautiful to look at stood still and poetry in motion.

Pays yer money takes yer choice and for me it's a F4 every time!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Brembo's efforts are far better in overall performance
Don't really agree at all....and it depends which Brembos you're comparing them too ?
Are your pads fully bedded in yet?
{change to sintered pads..adds a little bit extra}
The feel of the Nissan MV setup is wonderful...although probably not the most powerful setup these days, the progression of the power as you bring them on is great.

Give yourself a bit longer to adjust yourself to the bike and it's brakes.

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
Vibrations!! i have lost about 4 bolts not including the exhaust port that is in the midpipe for tunning!! Got to the dyno site to get it done and found out i had been riding around without one for about a month...woops! :nerd:

i also have to agree with gladio! i think they should give loyal customer discounts to people that already have MV's b/c they keep coming out with more awesome bikes!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I know a lot people complain about the mirrors on MV's and Duc's. You have to keep in mind that you are not buying a sport/touring bike. These are race bike where the mirrors are supposed to come off for the track use. They are only on there to make them road legal. If functional mirrors are desired, then they can be replaced with wirey bumble bee antena Honda/Yama/Suz/Kawa mirrors, which look like hell and extend up a mile above the nose fairing.

I have learned to lift my elbow up just a few inches and see behind me in the mirror just fine...That's not hard to do, is it? I certainly don't want those wirey extension mirrors....

The side stand does worry me though...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kamranmarashi said:
I know a lot people complain about the mirrors on MV's and Duc's. You have to keep in mind that you are not buying a sport/touring bike. These are race bike where the mirrors are supposed to come off for the track use. They are only on there to make them road legal. If functional mirrors are desired, then they can be replaced with wirey bumble bee antena Honda/Yama/Suz/Kawa mirrors, which look like hell and extend up a mile above the nose fairing.

I have learned to lift my elbow up just a few inches and see behind me in the mirror just fine...That's not hard to do, is it? I certainly don't want those wirey extension mirrors....

The side stand does worry me though...
Unfortunately for this "race" bike the mirrors do not come off very easily at all. Ducati 996 mirrors come off easy.. an 8mm socket and about 10 seconds are all you need. The MV mirrors can be frustrating at times getting the mirrors off.

I don't notice any vibration from my SPR at all, no more than any other 4 cylinder bike. My 996 is still way smoother so if the SPR was vibrating I'd notice it right away.

I thought with 50mm fork legs radial brakes wouldn't make much a difference because of the added strength with thicker fork legs. My SPR next to my 996 makes the Ducati fork look like something on a mountain bike.

·
Registered
878 Posts
rearviewmirror said:
Unfortunately for this "race" bike the mirrors do not come off very easily at all.
One can devise a wiring splice connection below the fairing to easily disconnect and remove the mirrors. I had problem removing them first, but it got easier as I practiced.

There's a gentle way you can work the wiring out which gets faster with practice...You have to work one wire at a time, slightly bend the metal connection head, and pull it out with the connection head shape (bend) matching the direction of the wiring hole in the mirror body. Then it comes right out ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have only put about thirty easy winter miles on mine and had no complaints about performance except that the stock pipes are really quiet. I have the RG3s in a box for when it goes back together. I did completely dismantle the bike on Saturday and found the build quality to be very good. My one big complaint is:
Why the hell did they decide to use this crap looking junk "Carbon Look" abs plastic? It is all over on my evo3 and in places on my bosses SPR. As much as these bikes cost they should not have look alike junk on them. I understand that you pay for carbon, no problem. Dont try to make the plastic look like carbon. Paint it, leave it plain but smooth but don't make it look fake. I don't know who said it but "Nothing says poser like fake carbon!"
End of rant.

Chris

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Unfortunately for this "race" bike the mirrors do not come off very easily at all.
Tip...once the mirrors are off, take a small dremmel to the inside housing of where the wires come through. Open the inlet hole ever so slightly so the wires don't get caught when sliding through..problem solved for next time!. Mirrors should be off in 3-5 minutes max. :)

Ducati 996 mirrors come off easy.. an 8mm socket and about 10 seconds are all you need
Yes, but your still got those dinky indicators to remove....MV does it all in all :toothless

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Complaints? Hell, write on one side of a page the great positive things about the MV, others side the complaints and small niggley things....

Puts it sorta into perspective then!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
agusta01 said:
Complaints? Hell, write on one side of a page the great positive things about the MV, others side the complaints and small niggley things....

Puts it sorta into perspective then!!
Yeah, guess it depends on whether you are a Glass Half Full, Glass Half Empty or Glass is twice as big as it needs to be - person :nerd:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Don't really agree at all....and it depends which Brembos you're comparing them too ?
Are your pads fully bedded in yet?
{change to sintered pads..adds a little bit extra}
The feel of the Nissan MV setup is wonderful...although probably not the most powerful setup these days, the progression of the power as you bring them on is great.

Give yourself a bit longer to adjust yourself to the bike and it's brakes.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, they're stock pads and I've worn the brown underpants on more than a few occasions...you may be right, but I like a "bitey" set up. I have noted that the Nissins are more progressive and coming from bitey to that makes me a little nervous

I agree about the side stands...on my particular bike, it always feels a little loose, like it's about to fall off

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i "think" with the sidestands, people are scared because the bike leans over so far.

if i had to nit pick somthing, it would be the need to have to manually operate a idle circuit (choke). somehow, i just think that stinks on this caliber of machine...being careful not to compare to japanese bikes that cost 1/2 as much.

·
Registered
878 Posts
style_one said:
if i had to nit pick somthing, it would be the need to have to manually operate a idle circuit (choke). somehow, i just think that stinks on this caliber of machine...being careful not to compare to japanese bikes that cost 1/2 as much.
I get a lot of lip from my "Hardly" freind about that... of all people! Interesting why they cannot program the fuel injection???

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The choke lever is kinda qwerky, my R1 was a joy to start, the FI was so spot on, press button and listen as it re calibrates mixure until operating temp, it is quite amazing why MV went the way they did...

The plastic 'carbon' look is really just a guide for the un prepared owner on which bits need changing to carbon and very soon...if its plastic and looks like fake carbon, then change it!! The perfect after sales marketing plan!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts