MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know about the rest of you fellas, but im extremely concerned with what the higher ups are doing with the MV company. It is not that I want MV to be unsuccessful, I am a loyal fan, however they seem to be turning a company where the desire of having something exotic, and few are lucky to own, into a brand of quantity. I purchased my MV because it was the bike I had posters of on my wall as a kid that I dreamed of one day owning. The fact that no one has heard of them or the fact that you might only see a few in your life time is what gave me the motivation to own one some day. Unfortunately it seems they are taking this rarity out of this boutique company and making it a common branding of a sports machine. From my understand MVs were the rarest machine to come out of italy excluding Bimota or Vyrus and any other companies that are know longer active. Does anyone else agree with me here, this is so disheartening how different the sons perspective of the company differs from his father. I hope this doesnt happen, but im losing hope. :confused:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Well... Always being on the edge of bankruptcy is also not a preferable situation. I think it is good that try to make a better profit. It will be a massproduction anyway. So I am not so concerned.

And my bike is rare anyway as there were only 276 produced ;-)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
you explained the reasoning in the last section. Why Bimota, is no longer in business.

In the present environment, far too many superb bikes out there, MV has to kick up the reliability as well as quantity of units built or they'll go the way of bimota(which has done the going out of business thing numerous times). The only other option is to build as they do now and raise the prices substantially further narrowing the market for the bikes.

All the diehard duc people have been crying about some of the non traditional ducs coming out, hypermotard, mts, diavel. Which have all been surprisingly successful.

Me I don't really care what other bikes MV or ducati build as long as they make something that appeals to me, is well built, if they means building more and different bikes by all means.

I dont know about the rest of you fellas, but im extremely concerned with what the higher ups are doing with the MV company. It is not that I want MV to be unsuccessful, I am a loyal fan, however they seem to be turning a company where the desire of having something exotic, and few are lucky to own, into a brand of quantity. I purchased my MV because it was the bike I had posters of on my wall as a kid that I dreamed of one day owning. The fact that no one has heard of them or the fact that you might only see a few in your life time is what gave me the motivation to own one some day. Unfortunately it seems they are taking this rarity out of this boutique company and making it a common branding of a sports machine. From my understand MVs were the rarest machine to come out of italy excluding Bimota or Vyrus and any other companies that are know longer active. Does anyone else agree with me here, this is so disheartening how different the sons perspective of the company differs from his father. I hope this doesnt happen, but im losing hope. :confused:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Bimota is out of business?

Years ago I went to see the company. It is just a typical Italian very small building. Just a tiny badge at the entrance.
Did not let me in.......

For me they are always at the edge of bankruptcy.......

But they are heartfull idealists - chapeau

·
Registered
947 Posts
While I don't agree with the way MV is turning out the models they are right now (The F3 800 is a particular sore point) I really don't see how increasing yearly production to 10-12,000 units is going to change how exclusive they are. And there is still a big question mark as to if they can even get to that volume. MV sold about 4500 units in 2010, 2500 in 2011, and 7500 in 2012, and are looking to reach the 10,000 mark in 2013. In the USA in particular MV's are still not selling that well. MV brought around 200 F3's into the US for the 2013 model year and many are still sitting on showroom floors.

For comparison here are some other Euro brands units sold in 2012.

BMW sold over 100,000 units
KTM sold over 100,000 units
Ducati sold over 50,000 units

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Zvez I dont believe Bimota is out of business they have released numerous bikes recently. I apologize for my first post, I have been writing at work, so there have been a few distractions. What I meant was that Bimota and Vyrus are extremely rare and hand built more along the lines of certain kit cars, where there specs are made to the customers liking which is why I was excluding them, as I was also excluding any other brands that are now defunct.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vapor, the one company that I consider Mv to be the most simlar to is Aprilia. Do you have any information or know the difference in units between them. Does Aprilia produce more units than Mv. I know that Aprilia is a subdivision of Piaggio, but are they considered a larger company themselves over Mv or the other way around, when it comes to mass production of units and units sold.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I know of nowhere to find Aprilia sales statistics. My point is that even with much larger sales, how often do you see BMW's, Ducati's, and KTM's? Very rarely, and that's with sales much higher than MV. MV will remain the most, or one of the most exclusive brands even if they sell 25,000 units per year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The company needs to move forward. Does this mean producing bikes at the same rate as the Japanese, Germans, I don't think so. But it definitely needs to build more than 10000 a year to survive. The brand may become more recognizable in the future as they up production, but for most it will remain a bike of lust, only available to the truly committed. :mouthwate

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is not meant to sound facetious. I do understand what you mean as far as bmw, ducati and ktm selling much more,and still remaining hard to find ... but how ? ...How can it still be considered exclusive. I would assume the more you sell the less exclusive. Isnt that why ferrari pulled back production on their cars this year ?
No numbers on Aprilia? I would have thought that there was no question they were a company that produces their street bikes at a larger capacity like a ducati but i dont know for certain.

·
Registered
947 Posts
MV is and will continue to be one of the most exclusive brands there is. They have said that they MUST sell around 10,000 units a year to make any profit and to survive. That doesn't make them any less exclusive.

Not to be an ass but this is becoming an obsession for you. You have posed this same question in multiple threads and now created a new thread about it. If you don't feel buying an MV is exclusive enough then buy an Aprilia which is probably not as exclusive as an MV anyway. While exclusivity can be a part of the reason you are buying an MV (or any other brand for that matter) it should only be a small part of it and not the only reason to do so. If you decide to buy an MV you can be 100% sure that you have one of the most exclusive motorcycles in the universe.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
the reason I have brought this subject up over again is because a logical reply that is all.
Does increasing production from from 6000 to 10000 units a year for global sales across 5 platforms really make them less exclusive?Really? I think you can rest assured that those extra 4000 units won't all be moving into your street. I would be suprised if you saw 10% of the increase across your whole country.

Did you buy your bike for the sole reason of exclusivity? Sure it's nice not to see one on every corner, but I bought mine because it was a nice bike. Even if they double or triple production it will still be a nice bike.

Sorry, that's as logical an answer as I can give you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
And my bike is rare anyway as there were only 276 produced ;-)
Where did you get that production number? I too have an RR312, and that's an interesting statistic to know. I also wonder how many still exist.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2011 Sales Figures

I don't know if this is just sales in the USA, but according to this link on sales for 2011, Aprilia was #20 (951 units) and MV Agusta was #31 (85 units). Those units for MV seem awfully low, no? That can't be right for sales in 2011.....:green: At any rate, whatever the period covered, Aprilia sold 10x more than MV did...there's some exclusivity for ya. :stickpoke

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchives/2012/January/Sales_Results.htm

P.s. I now believe these are sales figures for Australia.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Does increasing production from from 6000 to 10000 units a year for global sales across 5 platforms really make them less exclusive?Really? I think you can rest assured that those extra 4000 units won't all be moving into your street. I would be suprised if you saw 10% of the increase across your whole country.

Did you buy your bike for the sole reason of exclusivity? Sure it's nice not to see one on every corner, but I bought mine because it was a nice bike. Even if they double or triple production it will still be a nice bike.

Sorry, that's as logical an answer as I can give you.
Absolutely spot on - Agree 100% with Matty's assessment.

I don't even understand (in a real sense) the concerns raised in this thread.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The most logical reason of all is survival. In order to kept MV from the brink of bankruptcy they need to sell more than 4000 bikes a year. If selling 8000 MV's a year makes them .00005% less exclusive I am perfectly fine with that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The fact that MV is going well is great news. If they were to close shop, getting parts would be almost impossible and therefor the value of the bikes would plummet. Hope they stay around for a long time, I am on my 1st MV and I hope it will not be my last.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
no you're quite right, bimota is still in business, I just meant that they've been in and out of bankruptcy a number of times over the years. Not that I wouldn't love to have a db6!

Zvez I dont believe Bimota is out of business they have released numerous bikes recently. I apologize for my first post, I have been writing at work, so there have been a few distractions. What I meant was that Bimota and Vyrus are extremely rare and hand built more along the lines of certain kit cars, where there specs are made to the customers liking which is why I was excluding them, as I was also excluding any other brands that are now defunct.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Frankly I don't care what other people ride, and even less about what they think of my ride. I'm too busy looking for metal shavings on my wheel anyway.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts