MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ackers I hope new importer of MV in UK flourishes and they do well in BSB . Good for all Mv Enthusiasts.

Question: In BSB could a Team/rider use the new MV AGUSTA F3 800R and race in the 1000cc Superbike class? I don't know if class has mandatory 1000cc or say 750cc to 1000cc.

Might do well in BSB as the tracks are so short/tight.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question: In BSB could a Team/rider use the new MV AGUSTA F3 800R and race in the 1000cc Superbike class? I don't know if class has mandatory 1000cc or say 750cc to 1000cc.

Might do well in BSB as the tracks are so short/tight.
I don't see any reason why they couldn't just why would you, unless they can get 200+hp out of the 800 it will alway be at a disadvantage no matter how short or tight the tracks are. Back in the days of 750cc limit sure but not now.
I'm not sure what the rules are on a triple in the top class, its currently 1000cc for fours, 1200cc for twins but I don't know about triples? Maybe MV will make the next F4 a triple :stickpoke
Its going to be a tough job I think but they should have a better chance for success on the F3 675 in supersport?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ackers If I recall correctly triples can have a displacement of 1125cc, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Why the F3 800 might do well in BSB is its lighter and nimbler than the ZX10R, GSXR1000RR Honda CBR1000RR and Yamaha R1 (pre-2015)
You would think some private team would run the Aprilia RSV4?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ackers If I recall correctly triples can have a displacement of 1125cc, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Why the F3 800 might do well in BSB is its lighter and nimbler than the ZX10R, GSXR1000RR Honda CBR1000RR and Yamaha R1 (pre-2015)
You would think some private team would run the Aprilia RSV4?
The thing is there is a minimum weight requirement of around 160kg and the 1000's are at that anyway so theres no weight advantage to be had, as for it being nimbler, well i'm sure it certainly is than the road variants of the 1000's but I'm sure the race ones are a different ball game. I suspect cost and factory support is a big reason people don't race the Aprilia? Remember when Ducati used to race as a factory team in WSBK they used to offer spec bikes to privateer teams hence the grid was full of them, this filtered down to national level as they bought last years bikes, but when they pulled out they all went. Kawasaki seems to have taken up that mantle now as the grid is full of them?

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
There's no way a 800 will keep up with the 1000's, many have tried in the past, in variuos disciplines, and none have succeeded. It will be even harder now in the world of electronics.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
There's no way a 800 will keep up with the 1000's, many have tried in the past, in variuos disciplines, and none have succeeded. It will be even harder now in the world of electronics.

Im with donsy. Whoever thinks a 800 will keep up with a 1000 is coocoo. Just look at the lap times.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
1000 cc.

Just my opinion but I believe that Ducati would pull out if they had to run a 1000 cc engine.
Aren't they running a 1,300 twin these days?
So no, a 800 cc triple would not fare well.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hello all, thanks Donsey . I was just curious . So essentially your saying the handling gap between the 600/675 and the 1000cc Superbikes has narrowed to near null.

I am too big to fit well on a 600/675cc sized chassis and have not ridden ANY of the new models. Christ its been ? 15 years since I threw a leg over a 600cc sport bike. ERGO I asked
You guys thinking members here might have experience on Both F3 & F4. Thanks again .

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
[QUOTE Maybe MV will make the next F4 a triple :stickpoke

I hope thats was a joke ackers..

There is no chance of the F4 becoming a triple. The F4 line is the four cylinder line hence the F4 and F3 for three cylinders. That would be a step backwards to take the F4 to three cylinders.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
[QUOTE Maybe MV will make the next F4 a triple :stickpoke

I hope thats was a joke ackers..
Yes it was hence the :stickpoke but i'm sure stranger things have happened at MV in the past?

1000 cc.
Just my opinion but I believe that Ducati would pull out if they had to run a 1000 cc engine.
Aren't they running a 1,300 twin these days?
So no, a 800 cc triple would not fare well.
Ducati virtually ran the WSBK series and when they were beating the 750 fours they were quite happy, back then the rules were four, triple, twin up to 1000cc, then the fours went up to 1000cc when they all dropped 750's from their road bike ranges and brought out the R1's, Blades, Gixer 1000 etc, even Suzuki won a title so Ducati brought out the 1098 and they threatened they would leave unless they were allowed to run up to 1200cc.

The Panigale 1299 has just been expanded to 1285cc but they still produce the 1199R for race homologation but as I believe Ducati are returning to WSBK as a factory effort expect them to push for a cc limit increase for twins ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
While its great to see MV support another national series in addition the the Italian CIV I just don't get their choice of rider. Ianuzzo surely isn't the best choice they could have made. There is quite a few high caliber UK riders still available and if they wanted an Italian rider for whatever reason, Lucca Scassa has raced the BSB series before and knows all the tracks. He is faster than Ianuzzo as well.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Being BSB is more restrictive than WSBK (2014 WSBK tech rules 2015?) The F4RR should be on par with the competition power wise at least . But power isn't everything in racing as we all know . The Circuts in BSB series are so tight they barely seem to have straits. Handling is the name of the game
in BSB so its a real life test of the F4RR Chassis . BUT... as VAPOR pointed out without a world class rider the best Superbike will be relegated to mid pack .

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ackers Thanks for the info reguarding weight specs in WSBK-BSB. Also Good observation concerning Kawasaki filling grids because of economic viability. Tried to explain same concept when it came to components in racing. Bitubo suspension is widely used in WSS because Bitubo is BIG sponsor in WSS.
Bitubo is a top tier suspension company , but even if Ohlins or Nitron has better unit teams will still use Bitubo because of economic reasons .

FYI... not related but if anyone is looking at NITRON rear shock, you can get spring in BLACK (standard NITRON Spring color is Aqua marine =Doesn't match MV AGUSTA Red/Silver) or course Bitubo Red/Siler color looks phenominal.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
As far as the F4 engine, I hope they continue with there unique hemispherical head inline 4 engine . Sounds great, performs great, unique and I prefer massaged older designs .I trust known entity that's had the bugs worked out to a new untested design.

NEWS: There will be 14 races in the 2015 WSBK series . The added 2 venues will eliminate the end of year gap between races .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts